Mar 18, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Xavier Nady hit .248 with four homers in 82 games for the Diamondbacks last year.
The Nationals have signed Xavier Nady to a minor-league contract, though the veteran outfielder/first baseman will not get an invitation to big-league camp yet, the club announced this morning.
Nady, 33, is a career .275 hitter with 97 homers and 393 RBI over parts of 10 seasons with the Padres, Mets, Pirates, Yankees, Cubs and Diamondbacks. Beset by injuries in recent years, he appeared in only 82 games for Arizona last season, hitting .248 with four homers and 35 RBI.
The Nationals scouted Nady in California last week and came away impressed enough to offer him a minor-league contract, general manager Mike Rizzo told reporters in Viera. He'll report to minor-league camp for now and likely open the season at Class AAA Syracuse.
Given his experience at both corner outfield positions and first base, Nady could be insurance in case lingering injuries to left fielder MichaelRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win