Mar 18, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Xavier Nady hit .248 with four homers in 82 games for the Diamondbacks last year.
The Nationals have signed Xavier Nady to a minor-league contract, though the veteran outfielder/first baseman will not get an invitation to big-league camp yet, the club announced this morning.
Nady, 33, is a career .275 hitter with 97 homers and 393 RBI over parts of 10 seasons with the Padres, Mets, Pirates, Yankees, Cubs and Diamondbacks. Beset by injuries in recent years, he appeared in only 82 games for Arizona last season, hitting .248 with four homers and 35 RBI.
The Nationals scouted Nady in California last week and came away impressed enough to offer him a minor-league contract, general manager Mike Rizzo told reporters in Viera. He'll report to minor-league camp for now and likely open the season at Class AAA Syracuse.
Given his experience at both corner outfield positions and first base, Nady could be insurance in case lingering injuries to left fielder MichaelRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: Braves sink to the bottom
- Blowout sets Zimmermann up nicely to face Mets
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets
- Nats look to take advantage of softer stretch, starting with Braves
- Updated: Nats add reliever, activate Moore
- Baseball in the District – Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example