Mar 18, 2012, 2:27 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Xavier Nady hit .248 with four homers in 82 games for the Diamondbacks last year.
The Nationals have signed Xavier Nady to a minor-league contract, though the veteran outfielder/first baseman will not get an invitation to big-league camp yet, the club announced this morning.
Nady, 33, is a career .275 hitter with 97 homers and 393 RBI over parts of 10 seasons with the Padres, Mets, Pirates, Yankees, Cubs and Diamondbacks. Beset by injuries in recent years, he appeared in only 82 games for Arizona last season, hitting .248 with four homers and 35 RBI.
The Nationals scouted Nady in California last week and came away impressed enough to offer him a minor-league contract, general manager Mike Rizzo told reporters in Viera. He'll report to minor-league camp for now and likely open the season at Class AAA Syracuse.
Given his experience at both corner outfield positions and first base, Nady could be insurance in case lingering injuries to left fielder MichaelRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon