Mar 21, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Space Coast Stadium hosts the Braves this afternoon.
VIERA, Fla. — If John Lannan wants to make as strong a case as possible to open the season as the Nationals' No. 5 starter (in place of an injured Chien-Ming Wang), today would represent a golden opportunity. When the left-hander takes the mound shortly at Space Coast Stadium, he'll be facing a pretty good Braves lineup that features Michael Bourn, Brian McCann, Dan Uggla, Freddie Freeman and Jason Heyward.
Lannan will have plenty of regulars behind him in the field, with Ian Desmond, Danny Espinosa, Ryan Zimmerman and Jayson Werth in the Nationals' lineup. No Michael Morse or Adam LaRoche yet, but manager Davey Johnson said both players should be ready to go again beginning Sunday.
It's a cloudy, windy day in Viera with a chance for rain, but this game will start on time. Bob and F.P. have the call on TV, and I'll have updates throughout live from the ballpark…
ATLANTA BRAVES vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV: MASN (live), MLB Network (tape delayed at 10 p.m.)
Radio: Braves feed via MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 20 mph in from CF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves
- Prospects Cole, Rivero cut from big-league camp
- Desperate Braves sign Santana for $14 million
- The good, the bad and the ugly of Nats camp