Mar 21, 2012, 2:18 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg allowed one run over five strong innings tonight.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Leave it to Davey Johnson — a man who earlier in the day bragged about the time he was invited by former Mets owner Nelson Doubleday to play a round at Augusta National — to summarize Stephen Strasburg's outing with a golf analogy.
"He was hitting it in the fairway today," Johnson said, "instead of 400 yards into the rough."
Indeed, six days removed from a ragged spring training start in which he admittedly tried too hard to overpower the Braves lineup, Strasburg tonight dialed it down a notch. He left his driver in the bag, pulled out a 3-wood instead and proceeded to carve up the Mets' "A" lineup for five strong innings.
His fastball registered a mere 94-95 mph in the early going before topping out at 97 mph later in the outing. Most importantly, the Nationals right-hander emerged from an 85-pitch outingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1