Mar 21, 2012, 2:22 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg will be on the mound April 5 at Wrigley Field.
VIERA, Fla. — Stephen Strasburg hasn't appeared in an All-Star Game like Gio Gonzalez. He hasn't won a World Series like Edwin Jackson. He hasn't posted a top-10 National League ERA like Jordan Zimmermann.
But Strasburg — in the mind of manager Davey Johnson — is the best pitcher on the Nationals' staff. And that's why the 23-year-old hurler will be on the mound April 5 at Chicago's Wrigley Field for Opening Day.
"I like to put my best foot forward from the get-go," Johnson this morning in making the formal announcement.
Strasburg has only 17 games of big-league experience, but in that short time he's established himself as one of the game's most dominant starters, owner of a 2.54 career ERA and a ridiculous 116-to-19 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
So how did Johnson make the decision to go with Strasburg over the likes of Gonzalez (a 16-game winner and All-Star with the Athletics lastRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions