Mar 21, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg will be on the mound April 5 at Wrigley Field.
VIERA, Fla. — Stephen Strasburg hasn't appeared in an All-Star Game like Gio Gonzalez. He hasn't won a World Series like Edwin Jackson. He hasn't posted a top-10 National League ERA like Jordan Zimmermann.
But Strasburg — in the mind of manager Davey Johnson — is the best pitcher on the Nationals' staff. And that's why the 23-year-old hurler will be on the mound April 5 at Chicago's Wrigley Field for Opening Day.
"I like to put my best foot forward from the get-go," Johnson this morning in making the formal announcement.
Strasburg has only 17 games of big-league experience, but in that short time he's established himself as one of the game's most dominant starters, owner of a 2.54 career ERA and a ridiculous 116-to-19 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
So how did Johnson make the decision to go with Strasburg over the likes of Gonzalez (a 16-game winner and All-Star with the Athletics lastRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets
- Nats look to take advantage of softer stretch, starting with Braves
- Updated: Nats add reliever, activate Moore
- Baseball in the District – Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Around the NL East: Mets being cautious with Harvey