Mar 22, 2012, 9:33 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez was roughed up for eight runs in 3 2/3 innings today.
JUPITER, Fla. — Gio Gonzalez's cringe-worthy start this afternoon — he allowed eight runs on 10 hits and four walks in only 3 2/3 innings against the Cardinals — could have been attributed to any number of factors.
Gonzalez may have been dealing with some "dead arm" issues, not uncommon at this stage of spring training. He may have been unfamiliar with St. Louis' lineup and how to approach each batter. He may even have been hindered by his first plate appearance of the year.
Whatever the reason, Gonzalez could take some solace in this fact: At least it happened on March 22, not April 22.
"I'm not going to overload on today and thinking process," the left-hander said afterward. "It's just one of those days. You look forward, and that's it. What happened, it's done."
What happened on a hot and sunny day at Roger Dean Stadium, though, wasn't pretty. Gonzalez labored from the moment he took the mound. Actually, he sensed a rough afternoon ahead while he was stillRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect