Mar 22, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez was roughed up for eight runs in 3 2/3 innings today.
JUPITER, Fla. — Gio Gonzalez's cringe-worthy start this afternoon — he allowed eight runs on 10 hits and four walks in only 3 2/3 innings against the Cardinals — could have been attributed to any number of factors.
Gonzalez may have been dealing with some "dead arm" issues, not uncommon at this stage of spring training. He may have been unfamiliar with St. Louis' lineup and how to approach each batter. He may even have been hindered by his first plate appearance of the year.
Whatever the reason, Gonzalez could take some solace in this fact: At least it happened on March 22, not April 22.
"I'm not going to overload on today and thinking process," the left-hander said afterward. "It's just one of those days. You look forward, and that's it. What happened, it's done."
What happened on a hot and sunny day at Roger Dean Stadium, though, wasn't pretty. Gonzalez labored from the moment he took the mound. Actually, he sensed a rough afternoon ahead while he was stillRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend