Mar 22, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Steve Lombardozzi played six innings in left field yesterday.
VIERA, Fla. — When Davey Johnson mentioned Tuesday evening he was thinking about trying out Steve Lombardozzi in the outfield, you figured that's not the kind of dramatic position change you'd see for a little while.
But then came the fifth inning yesterday at Space Coast Stadium, and who found himself trotting out to left field but Lombardozzi, the 23-year-old who had never spent a second playing anything but the infield in his professional career.
The remaining six innings during the Nationals' 3-2 loss to the Braves proved uneventful for Lombardozzi. He did come charging in to make a semi-tough catch on a shallow fly ball. And he caught a medium-deep fly with a man on third in the 10th, unable to pull the trigger and attempt to gun down the tagging runner at the plate.
Otherwise, there wasn't much reason to even notice Lombardozzi inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Reed Johnson has surgery, could be out a while
- Barrett seizing setup role but watching workload
- Janssen close to big step in rehab from shoulder tendinitis
- Anthony Rendon back in D.C. to see Nats doctors
- 'Baseball in the District' - Marlins' voice Glenn Geffner
- Surging Nats return home to face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: A turning point last week?
- State of the Nats: An impressive weekend in New York
- Fister pitches Nationals to 2nd straight 1-0 win over Mets
- Span returns to Nats lineup after missing several games