Mar 22, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Steve Lombardozzi played six innings in left field yesterday.
VIERA, Fla. — When Davey Johnson mentioned Tuesday evening he was thinking about trying out Steve Lombardozzi in the outfield, you figured that's not the kind of dramatic position change you'd see for a little while.
But then came the fifth inning yesterday at Space Coast Stadium, and who found himself trotting out to left field but Lombardozzi, the 23-year-old who had never spent a second playing anything but the infield in his professional career.
The remaining six innings during the Nationals' 3-2 loss to the Braves proved uneventful for Lombardozzi. He did come charging in to make a semi-tough catch on a shallow fly ball. And he caught a medium-deep fly with a man on third in the 10th, unable to pull the trigger and attempt to gun down the tagging runner at the plate.
Otherwise, there wasn't much reason to even notice Lombardozzi inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin