Mar 22, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse has appeared in only three games this spring, all as DH.
JUPITER, Fla. — Michael Morse's chances of recovering from a lat injury in time for Opening Day appear to be dwindling after the Nationals left fielder recently underwent a platelet-rich plasma treatment that typically does not produce full results for several weeks.
Manager Davey Johnson said this morning it's not yet known when Morse will be ready to play but suggested his chances of being in the lineup by April 5 are less than good.
"He's probably more of a candidate to not open the season," Johnson said before the Nationals' exhibition game against the Cardinals.
Johnson also said he believes Morse recently received platelet-rich plasma treatment, a relatively new procedure also referred to as "blood spinning," in which blood plasma is removed from the body, injected with extra platelets to help the body heal faster and then re-injectedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals defeat Mets in triumphant return home
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff