Mar 23, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman is one of the only Nationals regulars producing at the plate.
VIERA, Fla. — Two total runs scored in three days. A .249 team batting average. An abysmal .689 team OPS.
Is there any reason the Nationals should be worried about their lack of offensive punch so far this spring?
No, insists Davey Johnson.
"As I've said before, we're way ahead of what I've seen the last couple of years in our approach, almost to a man," the manager said yesterday following a 9-0 loss to the Cardinals in Jupiter. "That's all I care about: our approach and staying in the hitting area and being aggressive and things like that."
There's always a delicate balance in evaluating players during spring training, deciding what's more important: stats or approach. Clearly, Johnson is more interested in the latter.
Still, the stats aren't pretty, especially for several lineup regulars. Danny Espinosa is hitting .222 with zero extra-base hits and a wretched .504 OPS. Wilson Ramos is even worse with a .179 average and .464 OPS.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip