Mar 23, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman is one of the only Nationals regulars producing at the plate.
VIERA, Fla. — Two total runs scored in three days. A .249 team batting average. An abysmal .689 team OPS.
Is there any reason the Nationals should be worried about their lack of offensive punch so far this spring?
No, insists Davey Johnson.
"As I've said before, we're way ahead of what I've seen the last couple of years in our approach, almost to a man," the manager said yesterday following a 9-0 loss to the Cardinals in Jupiter. "That's all I care about: our approach and staying in the hitting area and being aggressive and things like that."
There's always a delicate balance in evaluating players during spring training, deciding what's more important: stats or approach. Clearly, Johnson is more interested in the latter.
Still, the stats aren't pretty, especially for several lineup regulars. Danny Espinosa is hitting .222 with zero extra-base hits and a wretched .504 OPS. Wilson Ramos is even worse with a .179 average and .464 OPS.Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal