Mar 23, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Osceola County Stadium hosts the Nationals this afternoon.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — The Nationals' weak offensive numbers so far this spring are probably a product of the lack of regulars getting playing time than anything, but that's going to change soon. Beginning Sunday, manager Davey Johnson plans to start using all his regulars for most of the remainder of camp.
Several of those guys actually made the trip today to Kissimmee to face the Astros, including Ian Desmond, Danny Espinosa, Ryan Zimmerman and Jayson Werth. They'll be going up against Houston No. 2 starter Bud Norris. (FYI: Livan Hernandez is expected to open the season as the Astros' No. 3 man.)
Jordan Zimmermann takes the mound for the Nationals on the heels of a strong, four-scoreless-inning start against the Marlins. Johnson will hope to get five innings out of the young right-hander today, at which point he'll turn the game over to relievers Craig Stammen, Tyler Clippard and Brad Lidge.
Plenty of updates to come live from the ballpark…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. HOUSTON ASTROS
Where: Osceola County Stadium, Kissimmee
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: Astros radio via MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 8 mph RF to LF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time