Mar 23, 2012, 9:02 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Mike Rizzo insists he's not making any phone calls to other GMs right now.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — His team hasn't won a game in 11 days, is dealing with several nagging injuries and was no-hit into the seventh inning today, but Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo has no plans to significantly tweak his roster over the final 10 days of spring training.
"We like the team we have right now," Rizzo said following today's 5-1 loss to the Astros, which dropped the Nationals to 0-9-1 since March 12. "If something comes up that we can improve ourselves, we'll certainly investigate it. But we're not selling anybody, shopping anybody or making a lot of phone calls. Because we're comfortable where we're at."
Despite speculation from other corners of the baseball world about the Nationals' desire both to acquire another outfielder and trade away from their pitching depth, Rizzo insists he's happy with his roster as-is.
That means left-hander John Lannan is likely to open the season as the No. 5 starter, filling the spot that would have been Chien-Ming Wang's before the latter suffered a hamstring injury that is expected to sidelineRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal