Mar 23, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann allowed four runs and eight hits in five innings today.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — There comes a point every spring when things begin to drag. Opening Day is starting to come into view, but not enough yet to reach out and grab it. The Nationals are experiencing those doldrums right now.
"This is the dog days, right now," manager Davey Johnson said following today's 5-1 loss to the Astros. "Every spring right before I go to the whip with the guys and I'm playing my regular lineup, it's the dog days. I mean, I've seen it my whole life. I kind of expect it."
The Nationals have been slogging their way through it for the last week or so. Today's loss was their ninth in 10 games (they tied the other). The lineup was no-hit by Houston's Bud Norris and Lucas Harrell today for 6 2/3 innings.
"I've seen some bad performances in spring," Johnson said. "But I'veRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle