Mar 23, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann allowed four runs and eight hits in five innings today.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — There comes a point every spring when things begin to drag. Opening Day is starting to come into view, but not enough yet to reach out and grab it. The Nationals are experiencing those doldrums right now.
"This is the dog days, right now," manager Davey Johnson said following today's 5-1 loss to the Astros. "Every spring right before I go to the whip with the guys and I'm playing my regular lineup, it's the dog days. I mean, I've seen it my whole life. I kind of expect it."
The Nationals have been slogging their way through it for the last week or so. Today's loss was their ninth in 10 games (they tied the other). The lineup was no-hit by Houston's Bud Norris and Lucas Harrell today for 6 2/3 innings.
"I've seen some bad performances in spring," Johnson said. "But I'veRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants