Mar 24, 2012, 8:57 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Edwin Jackson saw his spring ERA skyrocket to 6.88 after today's start.
SARASOTA, Fla. — It would be disconcerting for Edwin Jackson had it not happened before. But it has, so the veteran right-hander isn't overly worried about his wretched performance today … or his overall alarming numbers this spring.
"I've never had good spring trainings," Jackson said. "So definitely games like this don't affect my confidence. When we get ready to play, I'll have just as much confidence in myself."
Jackson does have a point. His spring ERA in 2010 was 5.32. Last year it was 5.59, when opponents hit .358 against him.
So the 6.68 ERA he's sporting right now after getting tagged by the Orioles today is nothing out of the ordinary.
That said, Jackson has never endured through a Grapefruit League start quite like this. He did, after all, allow 10 runs (seven earned) on 11 hits. He walked in one run, served up a three-run, opposite-field homer andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado