Mar 24, 2012, 8:57 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Edwin Jackson saw his spring ERA skyrocket to 6.88 after today's start.
SARASOTA, Fla. — It would be disconcerting for Edwin Jackson had it not happened before. But it has, so the veteran right-hander isn't overly worried about his wretched performance today … or his overall alarming numbers this spring.
"I've never had good spring trainings," Jackson said. "So definitely games like this don't affect my confidence. When we get ready to play, I'll have just as much confidence in myself."
Jackson does have a point. His spring ERA in 2010 was 5.32. Last year it was 5.59, when opponents hit .358 against him.
So the 6.68 ERA he's sporting right now after getting tagged by the Orioles today is nothing out of the ordinary.
That said, Jackson has never endured through a Grapefruit League start quite like this. He did, after all, allow 10 runs (seven earned) on 11 hits. He walked in one run, served up a three-run, opposite-field homer andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October