Mar 24, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Brad Lidge is one of manager Davey Johnson's backup closer candidates.
Johnson said this morning he would likely go with Brad Lidge or Henry Rodriguez in the ninth inning if Storen isn't ready by Opening Day.
"Those are the only two I'm willing to throw out there at this time," the manager said.
Lidge, 35, has by far the most closing experience on the staff, having saved 223 games for the Astros and Phillies over the last nine seasons. Though the right-hander's fastball velocity isn't what it once was, his slider remains as sharp as ever, and he's pitched well this spring (allowing one earned run over five innings, striking out seven withoutRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Espinosa solid as Nats' temporary third baseman
- State of the Nats: Cardinals coming to town
- The Baseball Show: Things are turning up for the Nats
- Marlins in panic mode after poor start to 2015
- Strasburg's changeup key in Nats' win against Phillies
- Denard Span's return felt 'like old times' for Nats
- Strasburg dazzles in Span’s return
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale