Mar 25, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg takes the mound today at Space Coast Stadium.
VIERA, Fla. — Though he's still hoping to have Michael Morse and Adam LaRoche back in his lineup for Opening Day — at the moment, LaRoche looks more likely to be ready than Morse — manager Davey Johnson is working out contingency plans in the even either or both have to begin the season on the DL.
We're getting a glimpse of that with today's lineup. Mark DeRosa is at first base, where you'll probably see him a decent amount this season. Even if LaRoche is healthy, Johnson plans to start DeRosa frequently against left-handers.
DeRosa also is a candidate to start in left field if Morse is out, but obviously he can't play two positions at once. So we're getting a look today at Steve Lombardozzi, making his first career start in the outfield. Coach Bo Porter was working one-on-one with Lombardozzi on some fundamentals on a back field this morning. It's pretty clear the Nats are serious about looking at him out there for now.
Stephen Strasburg is on the mound. Plenty of updates to come…
NEW YORK METS vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 13 mph RF to LF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Strasburg on mound for July 4th special
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush