Mar 25, 2012, 2:15 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel, who had a quad strain earlier this spring, was scratched from today's lineup.
VIERA, Fla. — It's a lazy Sunday here at Space Coast Stadium, where it's been raining on and off this morning. Doesn't appear there's enough precipitation to threaten this afternoon's game against the Mets, which is a good thing because the Nationals need to ratchet things up a bit and put forth a solid effort after failing to win any of their last 11 Grapefruit League games.
Manager Davey Johnson has been pointing for a while to today's game as the unofficial start of the home stretch of the spring. He's been planning to play most of his regulars, giving them plenty of at-bats in preparation for the season opener.
Unfortunately, it's tough for Johnson to put together a full lineup when several of his regulars are still dealing with injuries. Michael Morse (lat strain) is still waiting for the green light to resume baseball activities. Adam LaRoche (bone bruise in foot) did get a bunch of at-bats again yesterday in a minor-league game but has yet to be cleared to run the bases. And now Rick Ankiel has been scratched from today's lineup (heRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)
- Nationals' asking price high on Storen, Clippard
- Phillies willing to trade Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee
- Nats expect McLouth to get significant playing time