Mar 25, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel, who had a quad strain earlier this spring, was scratched from today's lineup.
VIERA, Fla. — It's a lazy Sunday here at Space Coast Stadium, where it's been raining on and off this morning. Doesn't appear there's enough precipitation to threaten this afternoon's game against the Mets, which is a good thing because the Nationals need to ratchet things up a bit and put forth a solid effort after failing to win any of their last 11 Grapefruit League games.
Manager Davey Johnson has been pointing for a while to today's game as the unofficial start of the home stretch of the spring. He's been planning to play most of his regulars, giving them plenty of at-bats in preparation for the season opener.
Unfortunately, it's tough for Johnson to put together a full lineup when several of his regulars are still dealing with injuries. Michael Morse (lat strain) is still waiting for the green light to resume baseball activities. Adam LaRoche (bone bruise in foot) did get a bunch of at-bats again yesterday in a minor-league game but has yet to be cleared to run the bases. And now Rick Ankiel has been scratched from today's lineup (heRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig