Mar 26, 2012, 8:56 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
John Lannan is scheduled to make two more spring starts, including today.
Updated at 4:56 p.m.
VIERA, Fla. — With Chien-Ming Wang likely to open the season on the disabled list while recovering from a hamstring injury, manager Davey Johnson this morning confirmed what had long been assumed: John Lannan will open the season as the Nationals' No. 5 starter.
"John's my guy," Johnson said. "I like John. And John can pitch. He led our club last year in wins."
Lannan, who went 10-13 with a 3.70 ERA in 33 starts last season, looked like the odd man out of the Nationals' crowded pitching staff when camp opened and was a strong candidate to be traded. But once Wang injured his left hamstring March 15 trying to make a play at first base, Lannan stepped in to take over his slot in the rotation.
Lannan made the first of two final Grapefruit League starts today and turned in one of his best performances of the spring: Over five innings against the Astros, he allowed two runs on two hits, striking out fiveRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Baseball in the District - Tom Schad joins for Nats roundtable
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game
- Harper, Escobar, Span all out of Nats lineup again