Mar 26, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Utilityman Mark DeRosa may wind up starting at first base or in left field.
VIERA, Fla. — Davey Johnson thought he had his Opening Day bench all figured out. Jesus Flores would serve as No. 2 catcher. Steve Lombardozzi would be the backup middle infielder. Mark DeRosa would fill in at all the corner positions. Roger Bernadina and Brett Carroll would be the reserve outfielders.
But that grand plan works only if every member of the Nationals' starting lineup is healthy and ready to open the season. Which is no certainty at this point.
With 10 days to go, the Nationals still don't know whether left fielder Michael Morse (lat strain) and first baseman Adam LaRoche (bone bruise in foot) will be in uniform in Chicago for Opening Day … or in uniform in Viera rehabbing from their injuries.
LaRoche, for the moment, appears more likely to be ready than Morse. But either player's status could change in the coming days.
That uncertainty trickles down to the bench, because Johnson and general manager Mike Rizzo are going to have to assemble a roster thatRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres