Mar 26, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth homered and singled during the Nationals' 12-0 victory today.
VIERA, Fla. — The ball came out of Matt Harvey's hand and struck Jayson Werth's bat with so much force, it didn't come back to earth until it had cleared everything behind the left-field fence. Well, almost everything.
"I hit my truck," Werth said.
At least, that's how the story will be told to Werth's kids and grandkids. The Nationals right fielder couldn't confirm that his first-inning blast off Harvey actually struck his white pickup truck, but he didn't want to let that little uncertainty get in the way of a good urban legend.
"I've got to go out there and check it out," he said. "If it is dented or smashed or cracked or shattered, I kind of foresee it staying that way for a while. I think they're just messing with me. Who knows? We'll see.Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend
- Nats call up Xavier Cedeno, send Blake Treinen to Syracuse
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals