Mar 26, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth homered and singled during the Nationals' 12-0 victory today.
VIERA, Fla. — The ball came out of Matt Harvey's hand and struck Jayson Werth's bat with so much force, it didn't come back to earth until it had cleared everything behind the left-field fence. Well, almost everything.
"I hit my truck," Werth said.
At least, that's how the story will be told to Werth's kids and grandkids. The Nationals right fielder couldn't confirm that his first-inning blast off Harvey actually struck his white pickup truck, but he didn't want to let that little uncertainty get in the way of a good urban legend.
"I've got to go out there and check it out," he said. "If it is dented or smashed or cracked or shattered, I kind of foresee it staying that way for a while. I think they're just messing with me. Who knows? We'll see.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?