Mar 27, 2012, 4:11 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Steve Lombardozzi is making his second start in left field this afternoon.
JUPITER, Fla. — If Michael Morse needs to start the season on the disabled list — and considering he's not supposed to be cleared to resume throwing until tomorrow, that seems a likely scenario — the Nationals will need to figure out who's going to take over in left field on a temporary basis.
Davey Johnson has considered a number of possibilities, from Roger Bernadina to Mark DeRosa to Brett Carroll to Steve Lombardozzi. And for now, the manager isn't making his plan public.
"I've got a pretty good idea," Johnson said when asked if he's got an Opening Day lineup in mind yet.
Johnson, though, has to prepare for multiple contingencies due to the uncertain status of both Morse and first baseman Adam LaRoche. LaRoche is getting at-bats in a minor-league game today, has been cleared to run the bases and could be back in the big-league lineupRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres