Mar 27, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Steve Lombardozzi is making his second start in left field this afternoon.
JUPITER, Fla. — If Michael Morse needs to start the season on the disabled list — and considering he's not supposed to be cleared to resume throwing until tomorrow, that seems a likely scenario — the Nationals will need to figure out who's going to take over in left field on a temporary basis.
Davey Johnson has considered a number of possibilities, from Roger Bernadina to Mark DeRosa to Brett Carroll to Steve Lombardozzi. And for now, the manager isn't making his plan public.
"I've got a pretty good idea," Johnson said when asked if he's got an Opening Day lineup in mind yet.
Johnson, though, has to prepare for multiple contingencies due to the uncertain status of both Morse and first baseman Adam LaRoche. LaRoche is getting at-bats in a minor-league game today, has been cleared to run the bases and could be back in the big-league lineupRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown