Mar 28, 2012, 9:06 PM EDT
Bernadina informed manager Davey Johnson earlier this week that he would need to head home for a funeral, which will now be held Friday. Johnson told him he was free to leave today, but Bernadina wanted to get a few at-bats in minor-league camp. He’s scheduled to fly out tomorrow, then return in time to play Saturday against the Cardinals.
It’s been a difficult offseason for the 27-year-old outfielder. He was good friends with Greg Halman, an outfielder with the Mariners and teammate on the Netherlands national team who was stabbed to death in November.
Bernadina has performed well in recent days, collecting seven hits (two of them home runs) over his last 10 at-bats while driving in seven runs. With Michael Morse likely opening the season on the disabled list, he could see time as the Nationals’ starting left fielder along with Mark DeRosa.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs