Dominant start for Zimmermann

Mar 28, 2012, 9:38 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann shut out the Mets over six innings this afternoon.

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Davey Johnson could have gone on and on raving about Jordan Zimmermann's dominant start, but the Nationals manager pretty much summed things up in one sentence.

"That was superb, to say the least," Johnson said.

It's hard to imagine a better performance in a spring training environment. Over six stellar innings, Zimmermann shut out the New York Mets, allowing two hits, walking none barely breaking a sweat along the way.

Zimmermann was so efficient, he never came close to reaching his predetermined limit of 85 pitches, wrapping up his six innings on a scant 68 pitches. Johnson might have let his young right-hander take the mound again for the bottom of the seventh if not for a blister thatRead more ยป

1. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

He was sooooo good today.. Can't wait to see him when the season starts. (And yes apparantly you can flip a switch!!!)

2. NatsLady - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Apparently Desi has a switch, too.

3. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

NatsLady.. Ian had quite an impressive day.

4. NatsLady - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Didn't get to see it, but I will watch the replay when I get home from work. Heard Henry was also pretty good. :)

5. hmmm... - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

hope this is the real desi at the bat

6. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM

If you're like me, you often wonder what the hell the phrase "pitch to contact" really means.I finally found a way to figure out the answer: just watch J Zimmermann pitch :-)

7. D'Gourds - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Where are you watching the replay? MASN didn't carry it.

8. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

D'Gourds- It is on MLB network (cable) right now.But it started at 4pm tape delayed.

9. Anonymous - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

MLB Network

10. NatsLady - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I will watch it on MLB.tv. They have archives of all the games that are televised. You can pick what innings you want to watch.

11. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM

D'Gourds it was the free game on MLB.TV today, I think you can watch the replay MLB.TV Link

12. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Atta way, JZ! The Mets team were quite complimentary about his pitching.

13. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM

(broadcasting team, that would be)

14. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Agreed about the Mets broadcasters Natsfan.I believe it was Ron Darling and, someone who's name I can't remember :)They were also very impressed with Rodriguez (as was I), and mentioned the enormous depth of the Bullpen.Wasn't Darling one of the first Nats broadcasters? Also had a fine career as a pitcher.

15. Gonat - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Cwj, you are correct. MASN had Darling I believe for 1 season.

16. Gonat - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

The JZim start today was very nice. It was also fun watching his ERA drop drop drop on the MLB Gameday.EJax is the only starter who hasn't been shown top of the rotation stuff although Gio has had some bad with the good.So long as they are great during the regular season, who will really care about the Spring Training!

17. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Yes, Darling was with MASN for one season. Keith Hernandez also works on the Mets broadcasts.

18. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Not sure who else was in the booth with them, as I missed the beginning of the broadcast.

19. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I was going through my 2011 game logs of the Nats starting 5.I've written down some weird things, including each starter's worst performance. Just for fun, here they are:Strasburg- None*Jackson- 5.2 IP, 12 H, 7 ER, 4 BB, 3 SOZimmermann- 5.1 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 1 SOLannan- 2.0 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 1 BB, 1 SOGonzalez- 4.2 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO*For Strasburg (17 career starts) his worst was in 2010: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO

20. Steady Eddie - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Gonat–Agree, plus Gio's ST ERA is artificially inflated by the four scoreless (and mostly pretty impressive) scoreless innings he pitched against the Cards in the March 11 game at Jupiter that got rained out.

21. Steady Eddie - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Those four innings were so impressive, they were scoreless scoreless.

22. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Another fun stat I came up with. 6 or more innings pitched/Total games started.(6+ IP/GS), in order by percentage:Jackson- 24/31Zimmermann- 20/26Gonzalez- 23/32Lannan- 17/33Strasburg- (Obviously skewed due to strict limits, but career- 8/17)

23. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Steady Eddie- Yeah Gio is fine. He'll be up there among the K leaders in the NL.Lots to like about Gio.(btw, regarding my lists, they are based on regular season games).

24. Cwj - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Quick, someone record these before I lose my papers again!I already owe several drinks :-)

25. Cwj - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Also will post the BEST games from the starters in 2011…Not as easy as worst start. I'm ignoring the "game score" stat.

26. Cwj - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Here are the best starts, in my opinion, from the current Nats rotation from 2011. Strasburg- 6.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 SOGonzalez- 8.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 9 SOZimmermann- 8.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO*Jackson- 8.0 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 13 SO*Lannan- 7.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO *Jackson also pitched a complete game shutout win. But gave up 9 hits and struck out 2 while walking 2.

27. Anonymous - Mar 29, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Jordan Zimmermann was scary in the best kind of wayThis is how dynasties are built