Nats vs. Mets – 3/28/12

Mar 28, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats face the Mets once again at DigitalDomain Park.

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Upon signing Xavier Nady to a minor-league contract on March 18, general manager Mike Rizzo insisted the veteran outfielder/first baseman would not be appearing in a big-league game this spring. When asked again about the possibility last week, Rizzo had the same answer: Nady would not be seen in a big-league game this spring.

Well, check out who's starting at first base today in a big-league game against the Mets.

We'll see what the rationale for this was, but my hunch is that manager Davey Johnson (who has been preaching the idea of preparing for every contingency and trying out all sorts of different combinations) wanted to get one look at Nady before camp ended. And with first baseman Adam LaRoche potentially returning from a foot injury tomorrow, this may have represented the last opportunity to see Nady.

Jordan Zimmermann, meanwhile, makes his second-to-last start of the spring. You can watch the game live (and apparently for free) on MLB.tv, and you can also watch the game tape delayed on MLB Network at 4 p.m. You can also, of course, get plenty of updates and analysis right here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK METS
Where: DigitalDomain Park, Port St. Lucie
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV: MLB.tv (live), MLB Network (tape delayed at 4 p.m.)
Radio: None
Weather: Partly cloudy, 79 degrees, Wind 14 mph RF to LF

STARTING LINEUPS
NATIONALS
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Jayson Werth

1. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Thanks for the new post, Mark!

2. natscan reduxit - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

… as we get down to the short and curlies, I hope the sea of optimism we, as fans, have bathed in for the last month, isn't a mile wide and an inch deep.… after all the great improvements the team has realised since last September, I hope the whole season isn't put in jeopardy by the evil DL before the first toss is pitched at Wrigley.… am I coming across like the pessimist I am? Probably. Without much effort on my part, I see problems with the defence of the middle infield and in center. Inasmuch as I want to hide my eyes and whistle past the cemetery on plays to those areas, I know the jury is still out. Desi and Danny may sparkle together; Roger B might take off; Ankiel might have another good season in him. But I'm from Missouri (actually, I'm not) and I await the revelation of truth in the here and now. … well now I'm ranting and running off at the mouth, so I'll stop, and simply say, Go Nats!!

3. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I don't suppose there were contractual/financial reasons for keeping Nady out of MLB games, were there? No idea, seems unlikely, but why else insist, or even bring it up?

4. Steve M. - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

This will be an interesting game as Davey is loading the lineup with his RH batters against Jon Niese.Wish we were seeing Michael Morse penciled in otherwise this could be very close to the RH lineup w/ a platoon in CF.

5. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Metaphor Salad of the Day award to Natscan for that opening line!

6. PAY TO PLAY - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Drew Storen is throwing pain free. That sounds encouraging. Lets hope to hear the same on Morse and LaRoche and this team can start clicking!

7. Anonymous - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Mark do you know how Burnett is doing.

8. Adam Kilgore - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Meanwhile, Michael Morse walked down the corridor from the Nationals’ clubhouse this morning with a glove on his left hand, bouncing a ball off the wall. He was headed out to the field to throw for the first time in two weeks, having been shut down following a platelet-rich plasma injection in his strained right lat.

9. Cease the Opportunity - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM

thanks Mark for the fyi on MLB free bee…

10. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Speaking of minor league contracts and guys we weren't expecting, some rumor-mongering via MLB Trade Rumors:Jack Cust To Sign With An NL TeamBy Mike Axisa [March 27 at 8:15pm CST]Jack Cust will sign a minor league contract with an NL team, reports Troy Renck of The Denver Post (on Twitter). That team is not the Rockies however, and we can also rule out the Astros since they released him this morning.Cust, 33, signed a non-guaranteed Major League deal worth $600K with Houston in January. The one-year contract had also included a club option for 2013. Cust posted a .213/.344/.329 line with three home runs in 270 plate appearances for the Mariners in 2011, when he earned $2.5MM. However, the TWC Sports client averaged 28 homers and 103 walks with the A's from 2007-09.

11. Bowdenball - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Storen to start the season on the DL. Davey says mid-April but acknowledges he may be overly optimistic. From all the beat writers, on Twitter.

12. Steve M. - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Bowdenball, yep, just saw that and Morse will probably join him. Hopefully short stints and back the following week as you can go retroactive on the DL.That means 2 players will get on the Opening Day roster to only be optioned or DFA'd shortly after. Possibly more depending on the health of LaRoche and Ankiel.Ankiel is still an interesting case. He still isn't on the 40 man and can't stay healthy. His numbers have plummeted from his fast start.

13. Steve M. - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Opening Day Roster predictions.ROTATONStephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann, Edwin Jackson, John Lannan. This will get interesting when Wang is ready.CATCHERWilson RamosINFIELDERSAdam LaRoche, Danny Espinosa, Ian Desmond, Ryan Zimmerman. This assumes LaRoche is healthy.OUTFIELDERSJayson Werth, Roger Bernadina and Rick Ankiel if he is healthy. BULLPENTyler Clippard, Brad Lidge, Sean Burnett, Henry Rodriguez, Ross Detwiler, Tom Gorzelanny and Craig Stammen and Ryan Mattheus will compete for the 7th spot and then be sent to AAA when Storen is activated. DLWang, Storen, MorseBENCHJesus Flores, Chad Tracy, Jason Michaels, Mark DeRosa, Steve Lombardozzi, Brett Carroll. 5 of these players make it. One goes now. Another goes when Morse comes off the DL

14. PAY TO PLAY - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Steve, that bench and outfield alignment will also change when Bryce Harper is called up.Outfield Bernadina, Ankiel, Werth Bench: Flores, DeRosa, Lombardozzi, Carroll, TBDOutfield Morse, Ankiel, Werth Bench: Flores, DeRosa, Lombardozzi, Carroll, BernadinaOutfield: Morse, Harper, WerthBench: Flores, DeRosa, Lombardozzi, Carroll, Bernadina, Ankiel (1 of them has to go)

15. Steady Eddie - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM

P2P — Bingo! You are likely correct, sir.Answer to your final question likely to hinge on Ankiel's health condition and Carroll's performance in a platoon, if he gets the chance.I wonder if Davey will be tempted to go with Tracy for his bat, but would hope not unless he can play anywhere but first, and he's barely minimally adequate at that.

16. edward - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Free broadcast on MLB.tv-there goes any hope of getting work done this afternoon

17. Anonymous - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM

got to love MLB TV at work. Just hope it doesn't crash the server here…

18. TimDz - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Would be nice to see the Mets starter throw more than 9 pitches in the first inning…Seeing eye single by Desmond to start the game…

19. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Hmm.. You think they miss Jose Reyes? Is Tejada the every day SS?

20. Anonymous - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM

High praise from Keith Hernandez to RZ "Best fielding 3B in the league"

21. Kirbs - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Also before the tape delay at 4, MLB is reruning the 30 clubs with the nats at 3.

22. TimDz - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

At least Niece had to throw 19 pitches…

23. Alan_A - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM

As a refugee New Yorker and ex-Mets fan, I have to say I've been enjoying Cohen/Hernandez/Darling calling the game. A lot more insightful about our guys than Bob and FP, and they're able to talk about OPS without going into a know-nothing, Beavis-and-Butthead routine (Bob: "What's this OPS thing? What's a good OPS number?" FP: "Hey, the only number that matters is you gotta get more runs than the other guy…") Sigh…

24. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Waaah – I am stuck at an airport and I cannot get MLB.TV to work. No video or audio. Only the Game Summary "widget" works. WAAAH!!!!!

25. TimDz - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM

9 Pitch first inning for Zimmermann… Mets were swinging away there…92-93 on the fast ball.

26. Wally - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I am only getting audio, for some reason, on MLB.tv. The Mets guys were saying that RZim was 'favoring his side' when throwing.I assume that it was on his put out, but could anyone see anything on the field that was concerning?

27. PAY TO PLAY - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM

The Xavier Nady era starts off with a ceremonious K

28. TimDz - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Wally,It looked more like a lazy throw to me. I'll watch when he gets another opportunity.

29. Alan_A - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM

@Wally – only that Zim seems to be drifting back toward his sidearm throwing motion. Not clear if that's because of comfort or discomfort.

30. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM

JZ is dealing today.. (to bad Niese is as well)

31. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Just for the record, I'm drinking the kool aid :-)87-75, with a very similar record to both the Phillies and Braves.I really don't by into the Marlins being that much improved, remember they lost 90 games last year. Maybe they go 82-80 this season. The Mets, perhaps 72-90.Phillies- 88-74Nats- 87-75Braves- 87-75Marlins- 82-80Mets- 72-90

32. TimDz - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

30 Pitches thru 3 innings for Zimmermann…Hope the rest of the staff is watching. He looks sharp and is throwing free and easy.

33. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Jordan was one of the most efficient power pitchers last season (about 14 pitches/inning).Remarkable control, and I think his strikeout numbers will return this season.An ERA of 2.95 is my prediction. Very underrated by everyone except us Nats fans :-)

34. Alan_A - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Ah, so that's not Cohen. Who's doing play by play?

35. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Werth.. making it easier for me to wear my Jersey this year!

36. TimDz - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

WERTH Goes YARD!!!Hope they didn't park the team bus out there…

37. Alan_A - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Anyone else feeling cautiously optimistic about Werth?

38. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Alan_A…Raising my hand!!!!

39. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Alan- Yes!I project Werth will have slash lines of- .265-25-80 :-)

40. Anonymous - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM

The Mets are only going to be like 10 games under 500. They're not as bad as the world counts them to be. The Braves are going to struggle mightily to score, the Fish have health issues but they have speed and power like mad and enough pitching, and the Nats (still) have lack luster O, the Phils have the pitching and even with the injuries enough O, so I am venturing . . . Phils 90-72Fish 87-75Nats 85-77Braves 80-82Mets 76-86

41. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Btw, I will buy a drink for anyone who can find my player projections from a previous post, about a week ago…I used a calculator, pencil and piece of paper, but lost the paper :(

42. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Thanks for your NL east predictions Anon!They are very reasonable. Though I really don't buy the Miami hype.

43. fpcsteve - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Alan A., another hand up!

44. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Cwj – beer me please!Cwj said… In no real order, here are my projections for the Nats hitters. SS Desmond- .250-10-50 2B Espinosa- .245-25-70 3B Zimmerman- .300-30-100 LF Morse- .285-25-80 RF Werth- .270-25-80 1B Who knows, maybe Tracy to start? C Ramos- .275-15-65 CF Ankiel/Bernadina and then…. HARPER- .255-15-60

45. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Who is that leadoff hitter and what have you done to Ian? :-)

46. Cease the Opportunity - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Desmond needs to save his OBP for the regular season…

47. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

@Cwj – I will be at the game on April 14 – Stras bobblehead day. You can beer me then. ;-)

48. Sunderland - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I keep a cwj folder – Cwj said… In no real order, here are my projections for the Nats hitters.SS Desmond- .250-10-502B Espinosa- .245-25-703B Zimmerman- .300-30-100LF Morse- .285-25-80RF Werth- .270-25-801B Who knows, maybe Tracy to start?C Ramos- .275-15-65CF Ankiel/Bernadina and then….HARPER- .255-15-60 March 23, 2012 10:17 AM

49. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Awesome thanks so much Ehay2K!!!What beer do you like? :-) A T-Storm is brewing up here in the mountains…might have to log off in a minute.

50. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

51. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Sunderland- You get a drink of your choice as well :-)

52. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM

@Cwj – let's see what's available, and also what the weather's like. Might go for a Guinness. :o)

53. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Seinfeld in the house!

54. NatsNut - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM

"Werth can't quite make a sliding catch of Lucas Duda's sinking liner to right."Let me guess, it was an attempted "sliding catch" on his knee, wasn't it? Sigh.

55. NatsNut - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

(sorry, didn't mean to rain on the Werth parade)

56. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM

All I have to say.. JZ = WOW!

57. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Did he at least stop the ball, or did it get by him? I wish I could at least hear the game. I am overseas and it appears MLB is blacking out games on my IP address. Good to know, because I'd hate to have paid for MLB.TV and then find out I can't see the game!Only 5 more hours until I can check in for my flight! :-O

58. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM

NatsNut… not to worry, got Duda on a DP.. plus Werth hit the homer.

59. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Nasty storm here…gotta run.Go Nats!

60. Alan_A - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM

OK, Ron Burkhardt. Don't know him, but pretty decent on play-by-play.

61. Section 222 - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I look forward to seeing the replay of Werth's attempted sliding catch to see if an attempted running catch might have been more successful. Desmond shouldn't try to save his OBP for the regular season. Anything that gives him confidence as we approach Opening Day is a good thing since DJ is going to live and die with him as the leadoff hitter for awhile.

62. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

On first reading, I thought the monster reference related to the dinger. :-)1:55 p.m. — Jayson Werth with another towering home run to left field. Crushed it. I can confirm this one did not hit his truck, which is safely parked behind the first-base clubhouse. I saw it this morning. How monster is it? Let's just say it could drive straight down the south face of the Grand Canyon and then back up the north face. Meanwhile, Nady struck out again, this time looking. It's 2-0 Nats in the middle of the fourth.

63. Cease the Opportunity - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Section 222 said… I agree. i was being stupid. Plus, it calms down the naysayers…

64. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Mark must have gone to the clubhouse to interview JZ.In other news, way to horn in on my indexing specialty, ehay2k. (Just kidding. ;-))ehay2k said… Sunderland, you are too slow to the draw my friend! I have indexed every blog comment for instant retrieval. ;-) March 28, 2012 2:08 PM

65. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Oh wait. GameDay sez JZ is still in. Nevermind.

66. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Section 222.. Love the twitter comment to Rosenthal…

67. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM

1A.. MLBTV is free today if you can get to it.

68. Bill in DC - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

regarding the BENCH (copied from SteveM above):"Jesus Flores, Chad Tracy, Jason Michaels, Mark DeRosa, Steve Lombardozzi, Brett Carroll. 5 of these players make it. One goes now. Another goes when Morse comes off the DL"My thoughts:Flores (C), DeRosa (IF/OF) and Lombo (IF) are locks and will likely remain after Morse returns. That leaves Tracy, Michaels and Carroll for two spots (and really only one after Morse's return). IMO we should flush Tracy, who is a worse version of DeRosa and also a primary 3B, where we do not have any need with Zim, DeRosa and plus Lombo's ability to play there. That leaves Michaels and Carroll who will both make the team but I hope Carroll will stick. Not much hitting there but far better defense and speed which, to me, sounds like just what you want in a 4th OF.

69. TimDz - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM

2-0 still after six innings. Zimmermann has 70 (I think) pitches thru six innings and they showed Gorzo warming up, so that may be it for Znn.Hairston ended the inning with a high pop up between the pitcher's mound and the batters box. 1st, 3rd, C and P all converged…it could have been ugly…Nady made the last second call to make the catch.

70. Section 222 - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

@MichelleS Rosenthal's article is a dumb puff piece. In short, Kasten showed how brilliant he is in Atlanta by spending big money for free agents, except when he couldn't spend quite enough to land A-Rod, which showed how brilliant he was for not going overboard. His failure with the Nats was just due to ownership not being willing to spend enough.Oy.

71. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Back (weather cleared up, but more dark clouds are approaching).Power flickered for a second.Sounds like Zimmermann is in "mid-season form" :-)

72. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Thanks, MicheleS, I just have a GameDay audio subscription.

73. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Section222.. I saw that piece. I don't understand the love. He must just feed the nationl press guys inside stuff (like he did with Boz) and that is why they love.

74. Anonymous - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Desmond's peaking now? Kind of a backhanded compliment there, no?

75. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

1A.. I have the audio as well, but today's game is the Free Game that they let everyone watch on MLB.TV

76. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM

D'oh! Didn't realize that was the case, MicheleS. Thanks, will see if I can get it.

77. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

222, on Werth's sliding non-catch, it looked like the only play for a catch, to me, tho he only missedit by a few inches.

78. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Ehay2k- Guinness it is. Good choice :-)Have a safe flight.Damn, gotta go again. Scary lightening nearby.

79. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Woohoo, I got it! Thanks, MicheleS. I owe you a bon-bon. And so ends my afternoon productivity. :-)

80. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

4 for 4

81. Cease the Opportunity - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Ian showing off now…

82. TimDz - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Guess there are no ground rule doubles for bullpen interference…At least the Nats still have the lead 2-1 going into the 8th inning.Then Desmond with a bunt single…4-4 now.

83. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Find out what Desi's been drinking and bottle it NOW!

84. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

ehay2k.. I sent Ian some Koolaid…

85. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

*lightening = lightning, btw :-)Storms look to be heading out east to where most of you probably live.

86. Cease the Opportunity - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

New prediction, Ian Desmond first mortal to bat .400 since you know who, with OBP of exactly .400 and no walks for the season…

87. Section 222 - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Sec3, I look forward to seeing it. My impression is that Werth almost always tries sliding catches even when a running catch is still possible. A sliding catch is the best option when you are near the foul line and a wall and need to stop to protect yourself after the catch. But your glove can't reach as far forward when you are coming in to the ball if you slide. A running catch and picking the ball off your shoetops (or diving) is probably a better play on many of his attempted sliding catches. Not that I want him to dive and hurt himself when another type of catch is possible, of course.

88. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Wookie sighting in the 'pen, sitting down?

89. Section 222 - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Interesting that they shut Zimmermann down after 68 pitches. I guess they want to give other guys some work. Did Znn do more pitching in the bullpen to get to 80-85? Znn could very well be the unsung hero of the Nats rotation. It's very exciting that he's our No. 3.

90. Dave Sheinin loves Stan Kasten too - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM

And Kasten, as folks in Washington surely know, is the ultimate baseball-ownership insider, having served as president of the Atlanta Braves during their 1990s-2000s heyday and the Washington Nationals from 2006-10. In Washington, it was Kasten’s inclusion in the Ted Lerner ownership bid, at least as much as Lerner’s own deep pockets and local ties, that won that group the right to buy the Nationals. And while Johnson will be the face of the new group and Walter will be the boss — assuming the purchase is approved — it is Kasten who will be its brains and its brawn. Sarcastic, extroverted and often confrontational with those who don’t share his agenda (yes, at times that includes the media), Kasten is also one of the smartest front-office men in baseball, if not all of sports. And despite the damage the McCourt regime inflicted upon the Dodgers brand, it would not be surprising if, given the franchise’s revenues (soon to be bolstered by a lucrative television deal) and deep-rooted fan base, the Dodgers experience a quick turnaround under their new owners.

91. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Those storms need to travel over 5K miles from DC to get to me! Of course, what that really means is I will have the joy of flying through them on the way home.**Looking into my not-too-distant future:[Sound of flight-attendant chime ringing] "Excuse me, but can I have 3 small bottles of scotch and a cup with 2 ice cubes? Thanks."**So, in advance of that, I must say Znn was looking like he was in the best shape of his life, and will certainly be one of the best 25 to go north. (Forthcoming Bang! Gulp!)

92. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Wait, is this NJ or NI?

93. Cease the Opportunity - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Section 222 said… i was being stupid. Plus, it calms down the naysayers…

94. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

You appear to be in midseason form, eyah2k. :-)

95. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Ehay- Hahaha, :-) Nah, you'll arrive safely don't worry.

96. Jayson Werth - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Since when does a barbershop quartet singer know anything about how to catch a fly ball?Oh, and Section 222, you're flat.

97. MicheleS - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Mark is out of the press box.. Now we can really party!Best Shape of his life!B25GN!GYFNG!It's a marathon, not a sprint!(Bang! Gulp! Bang! Gulp! Bang! Gulp! Bang! Gulp! )

98. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Woooooooohoooooooooooo!! We'll be in midseason form before we know it!

99. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Yay party time :-)Hopefully no one snitches on us to Mark Z.

100. Anonymous - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

So – Gorzelanny comes in and ruins JZNN shutout — if he stays on this team you better get used to seeing that.

101. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I wont spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but MLB net's 30/30 on the Nats basically said: the best 25 will go north, they are in mid-season form and are in the best shape of their lives :-)*shot of apple juice chased with a beer* :-D

102. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Anon 3:07- Don't make me say it…about ST stats:-)

103. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Uh-oh, it looks like a party pooper has joined us. Get that neganon a beverage and remind them that this is ST!

104. NatsNut - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

LOL MicheleS!

105. gonatsgo - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM

You have to admit that Jordan has been snakebit with either a lack of run support or bullpen implosions. I sincerely hope that this season will be different for him – he is awesome!!!

106. Cease the Opportunity - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

gonatsgo said… He's was a great basketball at one time too…

107. Cease the Opportunity - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Cease the Opportunity said… gonatsgo said… He's was a great basketball player at one time too…

108. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Mets picked up a run in the bottom of the 8th, so it's 3-2 Nats going into the 9th.

109. Cease the Opportunity - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Oh I do see Jerry…

110. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

That was with Mattheus on the bump, btw. Sounds like H-Rod is up for the bottom of the 9th, but for now Carroll has a base hit.

111. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM

What do you do when you're stranded, and you know you're a Nat? Ask Mr. Carroll about that one. Still 3-2 Nats going to the bottom of the 9th.

112. TimDz - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Who is McConnel (no. 1)? He just struck out to end the top of the ninth…They had a close up of him…looked like it was "bring your kid to work" day. He looked to be maybe 14…

113. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

McConnell's hat, in the MLB Gameday pic, had a *blue* curly W!?!?! I thought he was a Marlin at first!Go mpHRod!

114. gonatsgo - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I thought he looked 12, actually. Did you hear the Mets broadcasters chuckling over HRod? His pitches were just not fair.

115. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

mpH-Rod wows 'em in the bottom of the 9th and the good guys win, 3-2. Bonus: Henry, who reached 100, is named the Cholula flamethrower of the game. Nice graphic there. :-)(Cue the Major League winning streak link.)

116. A DC Wonk - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

What's wrong with MPHRod? Three up three down, but no K's? Was he working on new stuff? ;-)

117. ehay2k - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Put a blue curly W in the books!Thanks so much all for helping me kill 2+ hours while "watching" the game. Only 24 hours until I get home!GYFNG!

118. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

He did kinda look like a bat boy up there.

119. TimDz - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

mpHRod made quick work of that inning…99 mph heater followed by 83 mph filthy breaking ball.He did get some help by Corey Brown, making a diving stab in shallow right field.

120. A DC Wonk - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

They had a close up of him…looked like it was "bring your kid to work" day. He looked to be maybe 14… They get younger and younger looking every year? How does that happen? ;-)

121. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Can't wait to watch the game replay on MLB network.So basically Rodriguez hits 100mph every time out?Add his nasty "off-speed" stuff…wow!Go Nats!

122. Section 222 - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Jayson Werth said… Since when does a barbershop quartet singer know anything about how to catch a fly ball? I don't. But I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night…

123. sm13 - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Henry's era is 10.13 points below Gorzo. Time to say goodbye to Tom.

124. Frediemac - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Anybody know what number Nady was wearing this afternoon?Does anybody know if tomorrow nights game vs the Tigers is televised?

125. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

You never know. Some fellas are multi-talented.Since when does a barbershop quartet singer know anything about how to catch a fly ball?

126. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Great news about Morse (Mark's Tweet).

127. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Sorry to hear about Bernadina losing his father :(Best wishes to him and his family.

128. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

That is sad. He lost a friend in the offseason as well (can't recall the name just now but the kid who was killed by his own brother).

129. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Guess whats on tv? The Nats vs Mets just started! I'll go out on a limb and predict a 3-2 Nats victory :-)

130. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Halman it was. Comak had a story earlier this month.

131. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

You should definitely buy a lottery ticket, Cwj, given that prediction. ;-)

132. A DC Wonk - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Hey, Natsfan1a, that must be some hot-selling CD you pointed us to! I see there are only two remaining in stock.I also see (I'm not kidding) it's ranked #287,602 in Music!

133. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Natsfan- Thanks for the link. That is very sad :(To Roger Bernadina- Take care of yourself and your family. My thoughts are with you. Don't worry about baseball. Family and friends first.Natsfan- I'm also predicting that Werth will hit a homer and Zimmermann will pitch well :D

134. Steady Eddie - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

CWJ and NatsFan — don't forget to predict that HRod's ERA will remain at 0.00 and that he notches another save.

135. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Steady Eddie- Now that's just crazy talk :-)Next you'll be predicting that he'll hit 100mph yet again… :D

136. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM

It's kinda funny, my dad records every regular season Nats game (he lives in Colorado) but will only watch the wins :-)

137. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Now for the awkward time between Mark's game thread and waiting for his next topic…:)

138. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Plus many insiders are no doubt preparing to head home from work, others are having their afternoon naps, etc.

139. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Sorry for 4 posts in a row :-)

140. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Oh, and Nady is wearing 22, to answer the question.Stranded…marked with a "Left on Base"…Chuck Connors, former Cub!

141. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM

OK, the Werth sliding miss was just on. He did seem to be trying for a reaching-down catch, and slid to block the ball, and stop.

142. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Watching Zimmermann pitch, (btw I predict he'll only throw 68 pitches through 6 innings), the words "efficient" and "very good" come to mind.No way I'm backing off my 2012 projection of a sub-3.00 ERA.Also, I really don't mind these Mets broadcasters.They are actually pretty good.

143. Cwj - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Sec 3- Yeah I just saw that play. He was very close, and the ball didn't get far behind him at all. Good effort. Hitter only got a single.(I had to rewind the DVR because I was typing during the play :)

144. A DC Wonk - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Also, I really don't mind these Mets broadcasters.They are actually pretty good. I haven't heard the TV guys — but from XM I've heard their radio guy (Charlie Rose) — he's terrifically awesome if you enjoy hearing about strategy (which I do).

145. Alan_A - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

What I like about the Mets broadcasters is their ability to provide good detailed insight and also let it loose a bit – gives you the impression of sitting behind a couple of really knowlegeable fans who take things just seriously enough, no more, no less.Also, they know opposing teams well. Listening to a lot of broadcasts around the leagues, it amazes me how poor most broadcasters are on that score.

146. sjm308 - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Great to watch this after reading all these comments!! You guys are fun. CWJ and eHay2k – If you can find a Guinness at Nationals Park please please please let me know! I have searched for years, missing major innings trudging up and down ramps. I knew exactly where the Guinness stand was at RFK and was quite upset to find it did not make the trip over to the Navy Yard. I have settled for Newcastle but its really not the same. I do like the 2nd bullpen that came in with a nice dark brown ale from Nova Scotia and also Justin's Cafe in the bottom of the Velocity Condos that rotate some nice craft beers but for a Guinness I have to walk all the way to 8th st.Oh, was this a baseball blog? SorryGo Nats! I predict 3-2 nats

147. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Exactly.Section 3, My Sofa said… Stranded…marked with a "Left on Base"… Chuck Connors, former Cub! March 28, 2012 4:35 PM

148. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM

You're welcome, Cwj, and I second your thoughts on Bernadina's loss.Cwj said… Natsfan- Thanks for the link. That is very sad :( To Roger Bernadina- Take care of yourself and your family. My thoughts are with you. Don't worry about baseball. Family and friends first. Natsfan- I'm also predicting that Werth will hit a homer and Zimmermann will pitch well :D March 28, 2012 4:13 PM