Mar 29, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg will now make his final spring training start Saturday.
VIERA, Fla. — In an effort to better line up their ace for his Opening Day outing in Chicago, the Nationals have pushed Stephen Strasburg's final spring training start back one day. Originally scheduled to face the Marlins tomorrow night, Strasburg will now go up against the Cardinals Saturday afternoon at Space Coast Stadium.
The rationale: Strasburg was going to get an extra day of rest at some point before the April 5 opener at Wrigley Field. And since he's scheduled to throw only 60-to-70 pitches in his final spring tune-up, manager Davey Johnson prefers his ace get the rest now.
"Give him an extra day to recover [from Sunday's start], and then have a short day Saturday and then have his regular rest for the opener," Johnson explained. "And there's also the possibility we could have [bad] weather [in Chicago]. So rather than have it too long, that's the reason behind that. That's my decision."
The reshuffling of Strasburg's schedule also affects a few other members of the Nationals pitching staff. Ross Detwiler, slated to open the season as a long reliever, will get a chance to stretch himself outRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons