Nats vs. Marlins – 3/30/12

Mar 30, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler faces Josh Johnson tonight at Space Coast Stadium.

VIERA, Fla. — If you're going to treat the final week of spring training as a true tune-up for the regular season, tonight's game is about as close as you're going to get. The Marlins have sent all their regulars, including ace Josh Johnson, to Space Coast Stadium.

The Nationals counter with a lineup you very well could see at Wrigley Field on Thursday … if Michael Morse and Rick Ankiel aren't ready to play. Morse definitely won't be ready. Ankiel, who was just formally added to the 40-man roster this afternoon, hasn't totally healed from a quad strain, and Davey Johnson said he's "a little concerned" he won't be ready come Opening Day.

Don't look for the Nationals to go pick up any new bodies from outside the organization, though. GM Mike Rizzo said "barring something out of the ordinary, I think you're looking at the 25-man roster from inside this camp." Seemed pretty emphatic when he said it.

You can catch tonight's game on TV, as Bob, F.P. and new sideline reporter Kristina Akra have the call. (Clarification: Though Kristina is here, she won't be making her on-air debut until Tuesday.) And, of course, plenty of updates to come here…

MIAMI MARLINS vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 6:05 p.m.
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: None
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 14 mph in from CF

STARTING LINEUPS
NATIONALS
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
CF Jayson Werth

1. Tcostant - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Xavier Nady is almost as lucky as tonight's Mega Millions winner. What a stroke of luck, Xavier being in the right place at the right time.Almost.

2. oldguyjim waiting for Opening Dy. - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM

who is the new guy playing 2B for us? Maybe he will hit better than the other Danny.Not a bad lineup if X can hit.

3. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:06 PM

hmmm, I thought they weren't going to have sideline reporters. Anyhoo, looking forward to Nats baseball on tv. Even more so for next week, when the games start to count.

4. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Fortune favors the prepared.

5. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Danny likes to switch up the letters depending on which side he's hitting from. Maybe it'll bring him some mojo.

6. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:10 PM

7. Unkyd - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Worked for LannEn…..

8. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Abso[McCattyWord]lutely. :-)Section 3, My Sofa said… You realize of course that if he goes 4 for 4 we're going to have start referring to him as Ep-sinosa? March 30, 2012 4:10 PM

9. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Danny Ep-sinosa… sounds like a song cue.Maybe Mark can give the lineups as song lyrics?I think with these teams it could work…

10. McR - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Chicago is getting closer, with games like tonight's. Anyway, I was just reading Crasnick's column, on the Nat's, over at the world-wide leader (actually a pretty good read: http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview12/story/_/id/7752863/washington-nationals-believe-legitimate-contender) and decided to roll through the "comments". Good grief the vitriol there, and I thought the WashPost used to be "trolled". Makes me glad to have sites like this with knowledgeable fans, even if it gets chippy sometimes, that make it a good read.

11. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Abso[McCattyWord]lutely. :-)OOOh, good one! We've been needing an updated expletive euphemism.Abso[Cat]lutely for short?

12. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:21 PM

That would work, as it is rather cumbersome.In other news, nice Atlanta newspaper blog item with background on the Braves signing Livo.Section 3, My Sofa said… Abso[McCattyWord]lutely. :-) OOOh, good one! We've been needing an updated expletive euphemism. Abso[Cat]lutely for short?

13. Smurff - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Agreed, McR. I don't even waste time looking at the comments on ESPN (or CBS). Much classier here. Even the Anons have thoughtful input, although I still don't understand why the anonymity is necessary.

14. Les in NC - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I make a motion we adopt the Abso[Cat]lutely euphemism….and make it a drinking game…?

15. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Hey, 1a, does it only work as an infix? Or will a gerund do?

16. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I was actually thinking gerund. :-)

17. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Hey, it didn't break the blog, either. :-)

18. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

If you are following Mark/Amanda/Kilgore, etc, they are tweeting Rizzo's Best 25 Go North (or at least in camp currently)!Bang! Gulp!GYFNG!

19. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

hmmm, I thought they weren't going to have sideline reporters.That's what Debbi Taylor said they told her when they didn't renew her contract. She must have heard wrong. What they probably told her was "We're going in a different direction with the sideline reporter gig. Namely, a direction away from YOU."

20. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Les.. we need more drinking games!

21. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM

In other news.. Did you see we got a new Sideline Reporter? see Mark's twitter feed.

22. Grandstander - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM

You can catch tonight's game on TV, as Bob, F.P. and new sideline reporter Kristina Akra have the call.Ah, that reminds me of the other upgrade we got this offseason.Not bad

23. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Mark mentioned her in the post above^

24. TimDz - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM

At the risk of sounding sexist…I think the Nats went for the upgrade at the sideline reporter gig…http://www.foxsportssouth.com/pages/secgil_talent_akra

25. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:35 PM

1A.. always on top of stuff. I owe you some bon bon's or a Coke! natsfan1a said… hmmm, I thought they weren't going to have sideline reporters. Anyhoo, looking forward to Nats baseball on tv. Even more so for next week, when the games start to count

26. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Ladies, if the guys start commenting on JUST the appearance of our new sideline reporter (and not her actual job skills) I vote for a Chick Fest. Who is with me?

27. Golfersal - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Anything is a upgrade from Debi Taylor.Can bet that Kristina Akra is young, blond, great looking with a great body and will be very intimidated.Guess we will see.

28. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Woohoo! And I was thinking the same thing re. a potential Chick Fest. ;-) MicheleS said… 1A.. always on top of stuff. I owe you some bon bon's or a Coke!

29. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM

OK, couple of mistakes by your humble beat writer. The starting second baseman's name, of course, is spelled Espinosa. But if he does snap out of his spring training funk tonight, feel free to keep spelling it wrong.Also, though Kristina Akra is here tonight (and was holding a MASN microphone up to Davey Johnson during our afternoon session with him) she won't actually be appearing on the broadcast until Tuesday.

30. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

And if you click on ESPN.com righ now, The Nats are front and center with the Crasnick article.And Boys, close your mouths.. you are going to catch some flies.

31. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Thanks for your understanding, Mark. ;-)But if he does snap out of his spring training funk tonight, feel free to keep spelling it wrong.Okay, so you all guys can put your eyeballs back in their sockets now. Save 'em for next week. :-)Also, though Kristina Akra is here tonight (and was holding a MASN microphone up to Davey Johnson during our afternoon session with him) she won't actually be appearing on the broadcast until Tuesday.

32. sjm308 - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Feel:One of your better links. Go ahead lady's with yor chick fest or whatever. If she asks how someone felt after a game I will mute her just like I did Debbie.Sec 3: is there a metro near Duffy's? If not what is parking like. I google mapped it and it's only about 35 min from Burtonsville so I am thinking about a visit. Sure would rather have metro get me home after celebrating our first win.

33. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM

sjm, looks like it's about 1 block from the Metro (Green line).

34. m20832 - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/kristina-akra.jpgAwwww….do I have to get my tongue off the floor? The flies do keep sticking to it.She was a Heat dancer? Lordy, Lordy!Kind of reminds me of Amber Theoharis.Definitely an upgrade!

35. sjm308 - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM

36. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Hey.. It looks like we are getting a Nats Xtra tonight as well.And our new sideline reporter is young enough to be your Daughter or in some cases GRAND daughter.

37. Cwj - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Hey guys don't forget Nats Extra with Johnny and Ray is on at 5:30.

38. Cwj - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

MicheleS gets a coke :-)

39. Cwj - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Wow, I was a half hour late on that post…

40. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM

CWJ.. just give that coke to 1A.. I owe her one..(or many)

41. Golfersal - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

In doing a bit of research on this Kristina Akra, you tell me if we will miss Debbi Taylorhttp://kristinaakra.com/Debbi isn't in the same league as this girl

42. Grandstander - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Um, hey Ross Detweiler, nice to finally meet you!

43. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

IAN!!! WOO HOO!!!

44. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Drew is HILARIOUS.. We have a new Play by Play guy.

45. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Sure, sjm, would be happy to do that.Thanks natsfan and that makes it almost a lock! Maybe I can bring my laptop and you can give me a tutorial on links during comercial breaks but NOT when our new on field reporter is on (that is a joke ladies).

46. gonatsgo - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Drew Storen is quite a character.A neighbor knocked on my door – by the time I got in the house I saw a 1 on the scoreboard – how fast did that happen?

47. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

sjm, the s/w here only allows three things: bold, italics, and hyperlinks (which includes email addresses).

48. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Pretty fast, it was on the first pitch.

49. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

about as fast as it can, gonatsgo–Desmond with a first pitch home run. See Mark's post above.

50. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM

From Kilgore's twitter:Danny Espinosa having what looks like an intense convo with Davey. Espinosa struck out in the 1st, bringing his total to 21 in 61 at-bats.

51. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Or mine. (Glug glug.)

52. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Oh, now he's busting on FP. :-D

53. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM

(That would be Storen.)

54. sjm308 - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Sec 3, I am lucky to type a legible sentence – those other 3 things are above my abilities – its a victory when I get it turned on

55. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM

DeRosa is all about the Natitude.

56. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

From Mark's twitter feed:There's a giant inflatable chicken on the concourse here tonight. Have fun with that set-up line, folks…

57. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Burnett is talking about the bullpen's catchphrase, "Go sit in the truck!", used when an opposing hitter strikes out. He says he doesn't know where it's from originally. My money is on Larry the Cable Guy.

58. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Uh, oh…..

59. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Werth's reply: I got your truck right here. Wait, that's my truck! Dang.

60. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM

We should be able to use "Go sit in the truck!" for something in here…

61. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM

1a, POD nomination!

62. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Detwiler is not the long guy, he's the emergency starter. Or the sixth starter. Whatever.And he's proceeding to show us why…

63. gonatsgo - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM

This Marlins line-up is no joke. Oh, goody…

64. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Whew!

65. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM

OK, the reverse whammy worked on Stanton!

66. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Apparantly, if you change your name to Giancarlo you now are an Opera Singer

67. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM

This, maybe?

68. sm13 - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Good to see Ross settle down and get out of the inning with only a run. Now, let's try to string together a few hits….

69. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM

No love Giancarlo Giannini?

70. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I concur.sec 3 said: We should be able to use "Go sit in the truck!" for something in here…

71. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I think Danny needs to go back to #18

72. baseballswami - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM

A Nats game – on TV – with my imaginery friends and alcohol. Priceless!

73. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Did you see Gio in the dugout? He has tons of energy.

74. baseballswami - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Way to go, Rossy D!!!

75. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Werth's beard … do you think he had that done by a barber? Or just with the Flo-bee?And would "Werth's beard!" make a good exclamation of surprise?

76. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Looked like he was pantomiming riding a bucking bronco.

77. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Yes, sort of like great Zeus or some such. But what's a Flo-bee?

78. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I think Danny needs to go back to #18Michele, you may be onto something.

79. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM

It's still weird see #7 on someone else, but if DeRo keeps hitting like that I will get over it

80. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM

What's a Flowbee, you ask?

81. sm13 - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Seems like everytime the camera lands on Gio he's always smiling and telling stories in the dugout. Rizzo seems to find those players with intangibles about players that the numbers don't reveal.On the other hand, darn Rizzo just revealed that Stammen is going to Syracuse How can he keep Gorzo over Craig?

82. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I want to see the Buffalo get ahold of one here…

83. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Dang. My bad.

84. sm13 - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:13 PM

sorry about the semi-incoherent sentence in the last post — I was worked up over Stammen!

85. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:13 PM

OMG.. I need to send cookies to Det. He STILL looks like a twig up there.

86. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:13 PM

we were wondering sm13, but we're too polite to ask.

87. gonatsgo - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM

So – the neighbor kid just finished mowing my lawn – I went outside to pay him. Came back to find the score 3-1 — missed Desi's homerun, missed the rbi's. Do you all want me to go outside again? I have really been looking forward to watching this game all day and I have missed the best two minutes.My lawn looks awesome, however.

88. #4 - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Thanks goodness. It's great to hear Rizzo say they'll be more aggressive this year. All the "work the count" stuff last year drove me nuts. I agree with him that it made them defensive early and chase late.

89. Dave - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Coming late to the party, but I'm very glad to see the Nats, old and new, showing some offensive life. 3-1 good guys. Kristina Akra is indeed easy on the eyes, but I'm with sjm308: if she doesn't ask smart baseball questions or say smart things, I'll get over her quick.

90. baseballswami - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM

sm13 I agree totally about Stammen! Gorzy is terrible!

91. #4 - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Love the short commercial breaks on ST games too!!!

92. sm13 - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Thanks Sec3, I appreciate the courtesy

93. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Oh no.. FP is starting to talk about Sprints now (not marathons)B25GN!GYFNG!Gulp! Bang!

94. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Thanks for the link, sec 3. How did I ever get through life without having seen a Flowbee? Awesome.

95. gonatsgo - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I forgot how I always felt very confident when ALR was at first. Lots of security there for the infield.

96. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Yes, please. It's not personal, it's baseball.Do you all want me to go outside again?

97. baseballswami - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Ross with five innings, five strike-outs. MicheleS – quick — get some cookies for him!!!Maybe some nice Thin Mints!

98. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM

MicheleS, I'm starting to think they're using those cliches deliberately. Nah.

99. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Oh, I have Thin Mints in my freezer! But they're my only box. Decisions, decisions…

100. #4 - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Let's all root for Espi to put it in play here

101. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM

As Steve Lombardozzi watches in the wings….

102. fpcsteve - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Detwiler tonight: PFB. Pardon me if that is a repeat. I didn't read all of the posts.

103. Cwj - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM

The way Detwiler has been pitching this spring, maybe he doesn't need any cookies :-)

104. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Question:If I purchase the MLB TV Premium package for $125.00, can I watch all the live home games without dealing with blackouts?I purchased the $110.00 package three or four years ago, but couldn't watch any of the Nats games when they were at home. (I was upset at that little surprise) So I’ve been sticking with the $20.00 audio package, I would really like the video feed because I work nights. But only if I can get the home games live.Thanks in advance,NatFan05

105. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM

1A.. the cliches, I wonder if they know about our drinking/bon bon games

106. natsfan1a - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM

That's what I'm wondering, MicheleS. hmmm… ;-)

107. Dave - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Stammen looked like the best of his old self right there, too.It'd be nice if Ross and Craig would keep this up. Does Stammen go north? (Or Detwiler, for that matter?)

108. Dave - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM

FP is certainly waxing enthusiastic about DC. I'm glad he's still the MASN analyst guy.

109. Cwj - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Dave- No doubt about Detwiler going north. He's out of options, and is probably the 4th best starter on the team (ahead of Wang and Lannan, in my opinion)

110. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Glad JJ is leaving the game!

111. baseballswami - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Hard to believe we don't have a spot for Detweiler. He is truly the sixth starter. We have pitching up the wazoo. Is Josh Johnson their #1 starter or has Ozzie not set up his rotation yet? He looks like a huge guy.He is obviously on a pitch count tonight and is leaving the mound, which is a good thing.

112. Cwj - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Dave I agree. I think the Nats have good broadcasters all the way around (tv and radio).Watching some of the other teams' broadcasts on MLB network the past few weeks, wow some of them are just flat out boring.

113. sm13 - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Josh Johnson appears to be fully healed and back at 100%. He is scary good, which is not good news for us.

114. Cwj - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I think Johnson may be their opening day starter.He's definitely their ace.One of the best pitchers in MLB when healthy.Very comparable to Strasburg as far as talent.

115. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:54 PM

That was actually pretty funny – watching the fielders try to find the ball. Glad it was them and not us.

116. Dave - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:54 PM

"It falls like a soft-lobbed wedge, and nobody touches it."Sometimes even Carp can be eloquent.Yes, we do have pretty good broadcasters. We carp on Carp, but the crew really is quite decent.(The pizza has arrived, the wine is flowing, and my spring break as a high-school teacher has just started. I'm sliding into the baseball-maudlin zone.)

117. baseballswami - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I think I like this DeRosa guy :)

118. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:56 PM

That kid on 2b running for DeRo looks like he is 14. Geesh

119. baseballswami - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Hey, Dave, I second that!

120. MicheleS - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:57 PM

FP STOP.Best Shape of my Life..Gulp! Bang!I am getting tippsy.. Hiccup!

121. gonatsgo - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:58 PM

MicheleS — some of these guys who go in and run in the late innings really do look like middle schoolers!

122. #4 - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Angelberth MontillaQuite a namehttp://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=501778

123. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Ugh, I keep thinking to myself how awesome it would be if Detwiler was the 5th starter.I know its not gonna happen, but it drives me nuts thinking about it.

124. gonatsgo - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:14 AM

So – people we don't have a place for : Ross Detweiler- sp, Craig Stammen- sp or relief, Steve Lombardozzi- starting middle-infielder? wow. This is some tough competition.

125. Anonymous - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Come on, Danny – just put the ball in play this time.

126. Jim Kurtzke - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Any chance Espi goes to AAA?

127. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Gonatsgo- Yeah it is a good problem to have, but it's also frustrating, I think.

128. baseballswami - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I think Danny could use some time in AAA to regain his confidence. It's pretty obvious Lombo could hold the fort.I love Danny's make-up, but he might need a shrink more than he needs a hitting coach.

129. gonatsgo - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:19 AM

cwj -makes you wonder if it's bad for morale and if guys would like to be traded so that they can play.

130. Dave - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Jim Kurtzke, I have been wondering the same thing myself–especially after hearing about the animated conversation between Espi and Davey in the dugout.

131. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Jim Kurtzke- Highly unlikely Espinosa goes to AAA.That would be a huge shock. I think he'll be fine. He already is a great fielder, has 25 homer power. But probably won't hit for average and will strikeout a lot.

132. baseballswami - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Not a fan of Matheus – but I do hope he holds the line here. So – I can't make it up to DC next Thursday. Who will be on NI during the game? Austin Kearns, wow.

133. baseballswami - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Nice.

134. MicheleS - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Swammi..I will be on NI thursday..I will be developing a Hacking Cough and sneezing heavily on early Thursday so I can work from home on Thursday afternoon. Wouldn't want to get my co-workers sick. :-)

135. Dave - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I think I'll either be on NI Thursday or at Duffy's, but more likely here on the blog.Since I'm at home on my laptop and not on my worthless school computer network, I'll actually be able to comment during a game.

136. gonatsgo - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I am way behind and out of the loop on the Nady situation. I need to look him up on Wikipedia tomorrow.Apparently he is a pretty good veteran who was out of the game and now has become a front-runner for the nats 25 man?

137. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Gonatsgo- Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if Gorzelanny would like to be traded. No doubt the Orioles and Astros would be interested.But Detwiler and Lombo are young and may end up as regulars by the end of the season. I think they'll be happy to be on the opening day roster.

138. baseballswami - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Great to hear that some of the regulars will be on line. I have to work in the evening and so I can't risk going into dc and trying to get back south — on a Thursday leading to a holiday weekend no less. As much as I love Charlie and Dave, I don't plan on spending the day in my car if I can help it.

139. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Gonatsgo- Here's some stats for Nady: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nadyxa01.shtmlHe's had a pretty good career.

140. lls45 - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Noticed that Bob made a slight error. Austin Kearns is not the only National to hit an inside-the-park home run. Willie Harris did it at Nationals Park in 2010. One of the more fun moments to have been there for!

141. gonatsgo - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I would love it if Gorzelanny was traded…there never did seem to be a place for him here. I don't feel like he is a good fit. If I met him in person I don't even think I would ask for his autograph – as a fan, I don't feel like he is really a true Nat. I know that's probably mean, but , there it is.

142. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I'm guessing we'll see Henry Rodriguez in the 9th?1 run leads aren't always easy to protect. Should be a good test for him.

143. gonatsgo - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:36 AM

And thanks, cwj

144. Dave - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I'd like to see Hot Rod this evening. Haven't seen him pitch this spring. Kilgore had a piece in which he talked him up pretty well, saying HRod has much better control this year.

145. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Gonatsgo- Yeah I tend to agree with you about Gorzelanny.I certainly don't hate him or anything, but I feel he's just taking up a spot someone more deserving should have.

146. sm13 - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM

oksy. in a race between Chad Tracy and Adam Dunn, would anyone win? maybe Teddy?

147. MicheleS - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM

We get Nats Xtra after the game as well.. Also looks like there is a replay at 10 PM of this game so for those ofyou that missed Ian's first pitch homer you won't have to wait long to see it again.

148. Anonymous - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM

So not only do we have the Z names locked up with the 2 zimmermen, we also have the x names now with that guy with the hyphenated name that ends in an x ( he is in the minors somewhere) and now nady. Alphabet soup.I feel so sorry for these guys that have to call the st games. Half the time they have no idea who is playing.

149. Dave - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Ouch. That was ugly, watching Chad Tracy lumber around third base and right into the catcher's mitt.

150. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Here comes Henry for the 9th…

151. Dave - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Let's see if Henry looks pretty frickin' bueno tonight.

152. gonatsgo - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:41 AM

MicheleS – I think I will turn on the replay at 10 and see Ian's HR — I am quite sure that no one will knock on my door that late. Can't believe I missed it.

153. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:42 AM

How was that first pitch not a strike???Looked right down the middle

154. baseballswami - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Dave – I like the way you think.

155. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Wow Henry looks good this spring. Nasty stuff

156. Dave - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Does anybody think maybe Desi should've had that Kearns grounder?

157. MicheleS - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:47 AM

The bottom of the 9th has been cancelled!Woo Hoo!

158. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:47 AM

And with the tying run on second he Ks Reyes for the save.Awesome.

159. Dave - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Well, that did look PFB, I must say. HRod strikes out Reyes to end the thing.I'm feeling good–and I haven't refilled my wine in an hour. Can't wait until Tuesday, when I get to see the boys in Nats Park again.

160. sm13 - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Henry — power, poise, and a heck of a breaking ball. Very impressive for our 6th and 7th inning guy once Drew returns.

161. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:49 AM

MPH Rod: 1 IP, 1 weak single, 2 big KsGet used to many 3-2 wins guys! Go Nats!

162. baseballswami - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:49 AM

MPHRod has a zero era. Really.

163. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Swami- And a 9/2 SO/BB rate!

164. gonatsgo - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Did anyone really see this coming that Henry Rodriguez would have this kind of command in spring training? Did he play winter ball? How did this happen?

165. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:56 AM

SM13- Very well said indeed.Although he'll probably be a spot closer as well when Drew needs a break.Lidge has looked fantastic this spring as well.Really, I can't understand why Larry Bowa gave the bullpen a 3/5. More like 5/5 Larry!And he gave the rotation a 3 as well? Uh, ok whatever you say. More like 4.5/5

166. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Not sure if he pitched this winter, Gonatsgo.And I certainly didn't expect his command to improve as much. Whats funny is that even when he was throwing the ball all over the place last year, he was still pretty effective.

167. gonatsgo - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:02 AM

And let's face it – the guy has a face only a mother could love – the intimidation factor is way off the charts. We thought the wookie was intimidating – this guy has him beat by a mile. So much to be excited about. I know there are issues, especially with the offense, but overall , I am really excited about the season.

168. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Me too Gonatsgo!!I'm very excited!

169. Cwj - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Has anyone ever seen Henry interviewed? Not sure I ever have.

170. Anonymous - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Does he speak english or does he need an interpreter?

171. Dave - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:11 AM

In other news, score one for the old guys.Jamie Moyer makes the Rockies roster at age 49. (per msnbc)

172. Mark'd - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Didn't HenRod have a lousy Winter Ball? Lights out now!

173. natsfan1a - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I'm pretty sure H-Rod did pitch in winter ball, but would need to check that.

174. natsfan1a - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Watching the late innings (DVR) now, as husband came home and wanted to watch something else after the 6th. (But I already know how it ends, so no worries.)

175. natsfan1a - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Winter stats are <a href="http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=was>here.</a&gt;

176. natsfan1a - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Well, there's a nice link coding demo for you, sm13. I left off the closing quotation mark after "was" by accident or it would have been a live link.

177. Arlington BigFish - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Over @ the Yanks/Phils game on MLB TV, Yanks announcers (Ken Singleton & some guy I don't recognize but who sounds a lot like Girardi) shooting the breeze. Who do they really like in the National League: the Nats, of course !! They're really impressed w/ our strating rotation — even flashed pix.Also, Justin Maxwell "looks like a keeper." 3 RBI tonight, 11 for the spring, .350+ BA. Good for him.

178. MicheleS - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Per Mark…Espi having trouble in viera with the small batter's eye, could be the reason he is not hitting at Space Coast.

179. Gonat - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:56 AM

MicheleS, yes, but he has accelerated the K's recently on the road also. Remember, he started hot. He is not picking up the breaking ball well.Hope that's the case as overall his road numbers have been much better.DATE OPP AB R H HR RBI BB SO SB AVG 03/20/2012 @NYM 2 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 .258 A 2012/03/20/wasmlb-nynmlb-1 S 03/21/2012 ATL 5 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 .222 H 2012/03/21/atlmlb-wasmlb-1 S 03/23/2012 @HOU 2 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 .211 A 2012/03/23/wasmlb-houmlb-1 S 03/24/2012 @BAL 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 .220 A 2012/03/24/wasmlb-balmlb-1 S 03/25/2012 NYM 6 3 3 0 0 0 1 0 .255 H 2012/03/25/nynmlb-wasmlb-1 S 03/26/2012 HOU 3 1 1 0 0 0 2 0 .260 H 2012/03/26/houmlb-wasmlb-1 S 03/27/2012 @MIA 3 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 .264 A 2012/03/27/wasmlb-miamlb-1 S 03/28/2012 @NYM 4 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 .263 A 2012/03/28/wasmlb-nynmlb-1 S 03/29/2012 ATL 3 1 0 0 0 1 2 0 .250 H 2012/03/29/atlmlb-wasmlb-1 S 03/30/2012 MIA 3 0 0 0 1 3 .238

180. JaneB - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:03 AM

What does that mean, Michelle? I just got off a plane and it's fun to catch up with the game and the Desi Dinger but I'm officially worried about Espi now. What is going on there?

181. sjm308 - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I think natsfan already answered it but yes, HRod pitched limited innings in Winter Ball and Yes, he needs an interpreter. They were using Blanco but I am guessing that Flores or Ramos can also help with that.

182. Hmmm... - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Watchinh the replay w drew talking to bob & fp. Kid is a hoot. Doing play by play. Attitude speaks well to the loose attitude of the team. So psychedGyfng