Mar 31, 2012, 2:35 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ross Detwiler allowed one run on three hits in five innings.
VIERA, Fla. — In a perfect world, the Nationals would get 30 starts from every member of their rotation, all of them lasting at least five innings, and never need to summon a long man from their bullpen.
The world, of course, isn't perfect, which is why Davey Johnson is so glad to have Ross Detwiler at his disposal.
"You look at the Phillies," the Nationals manager said. "They had the great rotation last year, and [Vance] Worley ends up winning 10 games coming from the pen. And [Kyle] Kendrick started a lot. Guys in the pen, they're invaluable, the spot starters."
Detwiler will serve in that capacity for the Nationals, at least to open the season with the five-man rotation already set: Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann, Edwin Jackson, John Lannan. And if tonight's dry run was an indication of things to come, the NationalsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1