Apr 1, 2012, 9:08 PM EDT
The Nationals re-assigned catcher Carlos Maldonado to minor-league camp following today's game against the Cardinals in Jupiter, trimming their roster by one and ensuring Wilson Ramos and Jesus Flores will open the season as their only true catchers.
Maldonado, 33, had a strong camp, hitting .353 (6-for-17) with a double, a homer and four RBI. His only hope of heading north with the team, though, would have been either an injury or a trade. Despite some speculation Flores could be moved to another club in search of a catcher, the Nationals elected to keep him as Ramos' backup.
Maldonado will report to Class AAA Syracuse, where he will share catching duties with Jhonatan Solano.
The move officially leaves 33 players in big-league camp, but that includes five players expected to open the season on the disabled list: Michael Morse, Drew Storen, Chien-Ming Wang, Chris Marrero andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK