Apr 1, 2012, 9:08 PM EDT
The Nationals re-assigned catcher Carlos Maldonado to minor-league camp following today's game against the Cardinals in Jupiter, trimming their roster by one and ensuring Wilson Ramos and Jesus Flores will open the season as their only true catchers.
Maldonado, 33, had a strong camp, hitting .353 (6-for-17) with a double, a homer and four RBI. His only hope of heading north with the team, though, would have been either an injury or a trade. Despite some speculation Flores could be moved to another club in search of a catcher, the Nationals elected to keep him as Ramos' backup.
Maldonado will report to Class AAA Syracuse, where he will share catching duties with Jhonatan Solano.
The move officially leaves 33 players in big-league camp, but that includes five players expected to open the season on the disabled list: Michael Morse, Drew Storen, Chien-Ming Wang, Chris Marrero andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Can dramatic win be a momentum changer?
- Taylor ends it in the 10th with a walk-off 3-run HR
- Barrett has Tommy John surgery, out 12 months
- Taylor has MRI on bruised knee, expects to be back soon
- Roark on the mound as Nats look to continue dominance of Braves
- MLB Power Rankings: Braves sink to the bottom
- Blowout sets Zimmermann up nicely to face Mets
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting