Apr 1, 2012, 9:08 PM EST
The Nationals re-assigned catcher Carlos Maldonado to minor-league camp following today's game against the Cardinals in Jupiter, trimming their roster by one and ensuring Wilson Ramos and Jesus Flores will open the season as their only true catchers.
Maldonado, 33, had a strong camp, hitting .353 (6-for-17) with a double, a homer and four RBI. His only hope of heading north with the team, though, would have been either an injury or a trade. Despite some speculation Flores could be moved to another club in search of a catcher, the Nationals elected to keep him as Ramos' backup.
Maldonado will report to Class AAA Syracuse, where he will share catching duties with Jhonatan Solano.
The move officially leaves 33 players in big-league camp, but that includes five players expected to open the season on the disabled list: Michael Morse, Drew Storen, Chien-Ming Wang, Chris Marrero andRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper hangs with Jordan, Jeter, Manning, RG3 & others
- Braves' Freeman: 'I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people'
- 2015 outlook: Miami Marlins
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Nate McLouth
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Kevin Frandsen
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton