Apr 1, 2012, 2:44 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez makes yet another start at Roger Dean Stadium this afternoon.
Since it's looking more and more like both Michael Morse and Rick Ankiel will open the season on the DL, the lineup Davey Johnson has put together for today's exhibition against the Cardinals might well be the same one we see Thursday in Chicago.
The outfield alignment: Mark DeRosa in left, Jayson Werth in center, Xavier Nady in right. Perhaps the only change would be Roger Bernadina in center, with Werth in right and Nady bumped to the bench, since the Cubs will be sending right-hander Ryan Dempster to the mound on Opening Day. But today's lineup still is pretty close to the one the Nationals should field come Thursday.
Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, makes one final start in Jupiter today. Incredibly, it's his fourth start at Roger Dean Stadium, his third against the Cardinals. As was the case with Stephen Strasburg yesterday, Gonzalez won't go all-out and will be pulled after only 60-70 pitches.
I'm no longer down in Florida. Flew back to D.C. last night so I can spend a couple of days with the wife and baby before hitting the road again. So no updates forthcoming. Enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: Cardinals feed via MLB Gameday Audio, XM 186
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 8 mph LF to RF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
CF Jayson Werth
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)