Apr 2, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse is eligible to return from the DL as soon as April 10.
Unable to ensure either player would have enough time to get back into game shape before Opening Day, the Nationals have decided to place outfielders Michael Morse and Rick Ankiel on the 15-day disabled list to begin the season.
Both transactions, revealed by manager Davey Johnson to reporters before today's Grapefruit League finale in Fort Myers, Fla., had become increasingly plausible over the last week. Neither Morse (suffering from a strained lat muscle) nor Ankiel (tight quadriceps muscle) is expected to miss much time.
The Nationals will be able to backdate Morse's DL move to March 26 and Ankiel's DL move to March 28. That means Morse will be eligible to return as soon as April 10, Ankiel as soon as April 12.
With both players unable to play on Opening Day, the Nationals have finalized all but one spot on their 25-man roster. Veteran Mark DeRosa is expected to start in left field Thursday against the Cubs, with Roger Bernadina in center field (though Bernadina had to be removedRead more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview