Apr 2, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse is eligible to return from the DL as soon as April 10.
Unable to ensure either player would have enough time to get back into game shape before Opening Day, the Nationals have decided to place outfielders Michael Morse and Rick Ankiel on the 15-day disabled list to begin the season.
Both transactions, revealed by manager Davey Johnson to reporters before today's Grapefruit League finale in Fort Myers, Fla., had become increasingly plausible over the last week. Neither Morse (suffering from a strained lat muscle) nor Ankiel (tight quadriceps muscle) is expected to miss much time.
The Nationals will be able to backdate Morse's DL move to March 26 and Ankiel's DL move to March 28. That means Morse will be eligible to return as soon as April 10, Ankiel as soon as April 12.
With both players unable to play on Opening Day, the Nationals have finalized all but one spot on their 25-man roster. Veteran Mark DeRosa is expected to start in left field Thursday against the Cubs, with Roger Bernadina in center field (though Bernadina had to be removedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4
- Nationals try to overcome pinch-hitting woes