Apr 2, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The brand-new JetBlue Park was designed to look like a miniature Fenway Park.
They've packed their bags, they've left Space Coast Stadium for another year and the team charter is gassed up and ready to head north later tonight. First, though, the Nationals must play one more exhibition game in the state of Florida: today's Grapefruit League finale against the Red Sox.
Jordan Zimmermann gets his last spring tune-up, coming on the heels of a fabulous performance Wednesday against the Mets. Nice challenge for the young right-hander, going up against a Boston 1-5 of Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Adrian Gonzalez, Kevin Youkilis and David Ortiz.
Several Nationals regulars have the day off, but there's an interesting twist with Chad Tracy starting in left field. Davey Johnson asked the veteran corner infielder a couple days ago how he would feel about playing the outfield, and Tracy said he was comfortable with it. Perhaps further evidence Tracy could wind up making the squad, especially if Rick Ankiel lands on the DL.
As you know, I'm back in D.C. spending a little QT with the family, so no live updates today. But I'll be at Nationals Park tomorrow for the exhibition finale against these same Red Sox, and then it's off to Chicago for Opening Day…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. BOSTON RED SOX
Where: JetBlue Park, Fort Myers
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?