Apr 2, 2012, 2:27 PM EST
US Presswire photo
The brand-new JetBlue Park was designed to look like a miniature Fenway Park.
They've packed their bags, they've left Space Coast Stadium for another year and the team charter is gassed up and ready to head north later tonight. First, though, the Nationals must play one more exhibition game in the state of Florida: today's Grapefruit League finale against the Red Sox.
Jordan Zimmermann gets his last spring tune-up, coming on the heels of a fabulous performance Wednesday against the Mets. Nice challenge for the young right-hander, going up against a Boston 1-5 of Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Adrian Gonzalez, Kevin Youkilis and David Ortiz.
Several Nationals regulars have the day off, but there's an interesting twist with Chad Tracy starting in left field. Davey Johnson asked the veteran corner infielder a couple days ago how he would feel about playing the outfield, and Tracy said he was comfortable with it. Perhaps further evidence Tracy could wind up making the squad, especially if Rick Ankiel lands on the DL.
As you know, I'm back in D.C. spending a little QT with the family, so no live updates today. But I'll be at Nationals Park tomorrow for the exhibition finale against these same Red Sox, and then it's off to Chicago for Opening Day…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. BOSTON RED SOX
Where: JetBlue Park, Fort Myers
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions