Apr 3, 2012, 9:01 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Chad Durbin couldn't make the Nats' bullpen, but the Braves scooped him up.
The Braves announced this afternoon they signed Chad Durbin to a major-league contract, a curious move considering the Nationals had yet to announce they released the right-hander.
That formal announcement, though, appears to be coming following today's exhibition finale against the Red Sox, at which point the Nationals will finalize their Opening Day roster.
Durbin was hoping to make the club as the final arm in manager Davey Johnson's bullpen, but that spot will now go to either Ryan Mattheus or Craig Stammen. Both right-handers have options and can be sent to Class AAA Syracuse without risk of losing them.
Durbin pitched well this spring, posting a 2.35 ERA in 10 relief appearances, striking out 15 while walking three. A former member of the Phillies' 2008 World Series-winning staff, he was attempting toRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals