Apr 3, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Chad Durbin couldn't make the Nats' bullpen, but the Braves scooped him up.
The Braves announced this afternoon they signed Chad Durbin to a major-league contract, a curious move considering the Nationals had yet to announce they released the right-hander.
That formal announcement, though, appears to be coming following today's exhibition finale against the Red Sox, at which point the Nationals will finalize their Opening Day roster.
Durbin was hoping to make the club as the final arm in manager Davey Johnson's bullpen, but that spot will now go to either Ryan Mattheus or Craig Stammen. Both right-handers have options and can be sent to Class AAA Syracuse without risk of losing them.
Durbin pitched well this spring, posting a 2.35 ERA in 10 relief appearances, striking out 15 while walking three. A former member of the Phillies' 2008 World Series-winning staff, he was attempting toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine