Apr 3, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nationals Park hosts its first ballgame of 2012 today.
The sun is shining, the cherry blossoms are blooming and there will be baseball played on South Capitol Street today. How sweet is that?
Sandwiched between their Grapefruit League finale in Fort Myers and their season opener in Chicago, the Nationals make a brief cameo appearance in the District this afternoon, taking on the Boston Red Sox in one last exhibition game. Davey Johnson is playing all his regulars, though there's a twist: Xavier Nady is serving as designated hitter. Yes, a DH in a National League park. There's something you won't see again.
A couple more interesting lineup tidbits: Adam LaRoche, not Jayson Werth, is hitting cleanup against Red Sox right-hander Clay Buchholz. I've got a hunch you'll see that arrangement on Thursday against the Cubs as well. Also, Roger Bernadina is back in the lineup after coming out of yesterday's game with a knee injury. Appears he's OK.
Plenty of updates to come all afternoon, so please check back often…
BOSTON RED SOX vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 3:05 p.m.
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 177
Weather: Sunny, 65 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to RF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats set franchise record for futility with RISP
- Instant analysis: Padres 4, Nats 3 (12)
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston