Nats vs. Red Sox – 4/3/12

Apr 3, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nationals Park hosts its first ballgame of 2012 today.

The sun is shining, the cherry blossoms are blooming and there will be baseball played on South Capitol Street today. How sweet is that?

Sandwiched between their Grapefruit League finale in Fort Myers and their season opener in Chicago, the Nationals make a brief cameo appearance in the District this afternoon, taking on the Boston Red Sox in one last exhibition game. Davey Johnson is playing all his regulars, though there's a twist: Xavier Nady is serving as designated hitter. Yes, a DH in a National League park. There's something you won't see again.

A couple more interesting lineup tidbits: Adam LaRoche, not Jayson Werth, is hitting cleanup against Red Sox right-hander Clay Buchholz. I've got a hunch you'll see that arrangement on Thursday against the Cubs as well. Also, Roger Bernadina is back in the lineup after coming out of yesterday's game with a knee injury. Appears he's OK.

Plenty of updates to come all afternoon, so please check back often…

BOSTON RED SOX vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS

Read more ยป

1. MicheleS - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I get to go!!! Woo Hoo!

2. JayB - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM

leaving soon

3. NatsLady - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM

JayB–me too. Gotta pick up someone in Silver Spring and turn around back to the park… Great day!

4. baseballswami - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Cheer loudly for the rest of us!!! Especially for our friend, Wilson – welcome him back to dc!

5. Mr. Doggett - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Can't wait to bring my 2 year old to the game today. I've trained him to scream "Go Nats!" when he sees the curly W… but then he breaks out in his version of HTTR. I've got to teach him that THIS is the team to get excited about!Go Nats!

6. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM

7. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:28 PM

er, "loudly" (I'm too excited to worry about grammar, anyway. :-))natsfan1a said… Have fun, y'all, and feel free to cheer extra hard on behalf of those fans who won't be there. I'll be in front of my tv but, while I *do* cheer pretty loud, I don't think they'll be able to hear me cheering in Virginia. :-)

8. Doc - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM

No Beast; no Arm and no Tinkerbell!Oh well, time to fish, and stop cutting bait.Goooooooooo Nats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM

JayB said… leaving soonDarn. When I first saw this I thought he meant he was leaving this blog.

10. FS - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM

ugh stuck in office until evening. Wish I could go to the game by faking sickness. GYFNG!!!

11. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Also, if anybody stays for the Wounded Warriors/celebrity game, would be interested to read some impressions (and you can cheer for me there, too :-)).

12. JaneB - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I am so crushed that I can't get there today. What a great day for baseball! But I'm glad my new Imaginary Friend Wendell is getting to go!GYFNG!!!!

13. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Oh I wish I could be there today! But, I'll be cheering from here and will be there live and in person next week at the Home Opener.Go Nats!!!!

14. Mark'd - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Glad Bernadina is OK. That kid has been through a lot if heart ache.

15. SCNatsFan - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Wish I was there. Then again I'm going to the Masters tomorrow. Guess that will have to do… but I'll be sporting the curly W at Augusta.

16. NatsLady - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Plants watered, kitty fed. On my way! Later, folks.

17. MicheleS - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:39 PM

You all had better be there next Thursday! My Friends and Family are starting to wonder when I say I am going to be with my imaginary friends!Stuck today with Co-workers (and other sundry people who are no fun), So not sure where I am sitting and if I will get to walk around!

18. Diz - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Heading to the park in an hour! Woo-hoo!!!!Well, I guess with Nady, Carroll, and Tracy making the roster, the healthiest 25 came north!FS – I'll have a cold one for you….or seven.

19. Positively Half St. - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Have fun, friends at the park. I will put a Nats shirt on for the schedule conflict that keeps me away.+1/2St.

20. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if JZim is a Cy Young candidate this year.This from Amanda Comak:For Zimmermann, one of the most positive developments this spring was the improvement of his changeup, a pitch that he's been working on for several years now but has finally gotten to a point where he's comfortable — and effective — with it.He threw one to David Ortiz on Monday that the big left-hander just stared at for strike three."I came into spring and it was hit or miss — and missing more than I was hitting," Zimmermann said. "Right now I feel like I could throw it down in the count or down on the zone anytime I want. The last one to Big Papi there was a changeup so I was pretty happy there."I think the more I face some teams and throw it to them, if I throw a lot of good ones they're going to have that in the back of their mind, 'He's got this fastball and slider and curve but you have to watch out for his changeup.' If I can just mix it in and throw it five, six times a game I think that's all I really need to throw it."

21. sm13 - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:46 PM

What a great day for a game. I'm hoping we have this same weather for next Thursday! Maybe Morse and Drew will be back by then.Go Nats!!

22. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM

The Tom Boz article today was a great dose of Kool-Aid. This guy went from a JayB meltdown moment a couple of days before the Gio trade to now being the head cheerleader for the Nats. Maybe he wants to audition for the Clint role and walk around with the microphone.For the Nats to exceed the 84 to 85 win consensus on their 2012 win total, they have to dominate the under .500 teams and play .500 baseball against all their other teams.For those worried about the bench, it is going to turnover quickly. It has to because of the players on the DL followed by possible call-ups by guys like Bryce Harper and Chris Marrero.This team will win on the fundamentals that were formed last year: Starting pitching, dominating bullpen, timely hitting, team defense, and lack of mental errors.The popcorn is popping and almost time for "real" baseball.

23. MicheleS - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM

24. ehay2k - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Natslady – "kitty fed, plants watered.." ??? How long of a game do you think this will be? Oh, wait, sorry, it IS the Red Sox. ;-)Enjoy the game! GYFNG

25. baseballswami - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM

How silly is it that I have butterflies in my stomach – today isn't even the real opening day.Thursday I will be unbearable. Too bad my work schedule will not allow me to go today or next Thursday, but I will be glued to the tv! I think Opening Day should be a National Holiday!!!

26. Cease the Opportunity - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM

My chauffeur is angry with me, since I asked her to drive me to Wrigley Field for Thursday's opener. She's outside now warming up the ride. I'll see you guys in two days… UNTERP

27. Wendell - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Thanks to JaneB my son Matthew (home on Spring Break) & I are off to the game. Great seats, Jane.

28. Diz - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

sm13,National Weather Service is saying that DC will be experiencing "well below" normal temperatures late next week.Might end up being a little chilly next Thursday.Enjoy the weather today!http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/

29. sjm308 - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Off to the Park!!Nice lineup and I am not going to be upset if they only play a couple innings. I am guessing Rizzo brought up all kinds of minor league guys just to give them the experience of playing at Nationals Park.Should be great fun!!! Baseball with my son! What could be better?

30. Feel Wood - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I think Opening Day should be a National Holiday!!!Which one? Home opener, road game that's another team's opener, opening day in Japan, ESPN Sun/Wed night opener? You'd need a week's worth of holiday for that!Hey, not a bad idea actually.

31. NatsNut - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Sun, schmun. DRESS WARMLY! That breeze turns ARCTIC in that ballpark.See ya'll there!GYFNG

32. Theophilus - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Diz said something about buying "a beer . . . or 7." What does that work out to? About $63?

33. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I am wicked jealous (a little nod to the opposing club's fans) as I have to work and cannot go to the game — though, through the miracle of radio broadcast, I will be there in spirit. Best 25 have come North!dfh21

34. realdealnats - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM

PFB day for baseball in Old DC. GYFNG!

35. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Kind of wondering if this will be the starting lineup for a while vs. RH pitching with Brett Carroll coming in for Bernadina against LH pitching:SS Ian Desmond2B Danny Espinosa3B Ryan Zimmerman1B Adam LaRocheRF Jayson WerthLF Mark DeRosaC Wilson RamosCF Roger BernadinaP TBD

36. FS - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM

baseballswami, you are right. After all baseball is the national pasttime.

37. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Hope everyone enjoys the new and improved culture exhibited by the team put together by Mike Rizzo. Between a qualified GM, a qualified Manager, and an upgrade in overall talent we can expect a playoff caliber effort for the forseeable future.GatorJohn and I will be in DC starting with next Fridays game with the Reds. Hope to see alot of you durong that first homestand.I'll be home watching todays game on TV.

38. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Do not make me pull this car over, MicheleS. :-) (Actually, I was that annoying kid, too.)MicheleS said… I swear.. the clock is ticking SOO SLOWLY! i want to go NOW. Yes, I was the annoying kid in the station wagon going "Are we there YET!!!!" April 03, 2012 12:00 PM

39. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Only requirement for those of you going is to have fun, fun, fun.And cheer extra, extra loud for Wilson.I'll be there in spirit and with C&D. Welcome home, fellas!Best 25 have come north!

40. Jim Kurtzke - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM

41. Dawn - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Wish I could be there, looks like a great day. Of course any day is a good day if there is baseball being played. Safe travels and enjoy the game.

42. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Jim -Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I dealt with 2 different cancers last year and came through OK so far. Good luck with your own condition. The Nats were a big part of my coping mechanism all last year. Baseball makes everything better.

43. Drew - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

This week my wife and I are enjoying the splendors of Paris, where a young man's fancy turns to Chad Tracy. (Well, not really, but that one threw me a bit when I checked in for my Nats fix.) If I keep this up my bride will think I'm addicted to my support group. GYFNG!P.S. We spent hours touring Notre Dame today but we never found a single statue to Matt LeCroy.

44. N. Cognito - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Jim Kurtzke said… "Last April, I was diagnosed with cancer. Today, I'm going to the ballpark. Life is great."Congratulations! I wish you many more game days.

45. JaneB - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Joining NCog in wishing much more baseball to Jim, and also anon at 12:57. And Drew, you made me spit out my diet coke in public, I was laughing so hard.Life IS great, especially when "wait'll NEXT year" finally arrives.

46. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Drew, did you look in the campanile?And add me please to the Many More wishes list for Jim!

47. Tinkerbell Wringer - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I'm not even a real Modo. I'm only a quasi-modo.

48. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Me, too, on the many more wishes for Jim.On another note, a late-breaking news item for those who will be in attendance. In honor of the visiting team, ballpark Taste of the Majors concessions will be featuring all the Popeyes chicken and beer you can eat and drink. :-)

49. Esmeralda - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

If I yell "sanctuary," will the bad puns stop?

50. Unkyd - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Sorry, I'm a little weepy…. You guys get me all choked up about the Game. Here's JEJ…one more time….(deep breath….):Terence Mann: Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once

51. Unkyd - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

….was good and it could be again. Oh… people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

52. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

53. sjm308 - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Reporting live from the 1/2 street fairgrounds!Early crowd looks to be 60/40. Red sox fans. Nice atmosphere here. Live band just started on a much bigger stage then last year.At least7 different food trucks including Red Hook Lobster rolls.Beer prices still crush inside prices.Entrance is down near metro..That's all fo now.Thoughts to Jim, just like others.Go nats!

54. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

The Nats were the visiting team yesterday.

55. MicheleS - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Unkyd.. i got chills reading that!Jim and Anon, may uou enjoy many more opening days!At the park now and it looks beautiful!

56. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Thank you Unk, for the Annual Invocation. I still get a little choked up, even with the mixed metaphor.

57. Cwj - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Go Nats!Is there no Nats Extra on MASN today?Working on my final revisions of my Nats projections (predictions :)I'm working on some additional numbers so that everything adds up to my 87-75 prediction.(BTW, the bench was much discussed recently. I think it's improved and above average)Enjoy the game!:-)

58. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

The Nats were the visiting team yesterday.I meant two days. April 1. Nevermind. E-3.

59. Theophilus - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Paris? Paris, VA, you mean, surely . . .. (Only place in the world where you can visit Vienna, Paris, Strasburg, Edinburg and Verona — in one day — w/out crossing a state line.)

60. Cwj - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Well done Unkyd!! :)I'm really pumped for this season.Oh yeak, Unkyd my BBQ has been postponed. I'll try to find a weekend game that works for us and hopefully you can join me here. (I'll email you)

61. Cwj - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

* I meant "Oh yeah" not "Oh yeak" haha :-)

62. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Oh, now I get it. Comprehension E-1a (I guess that would be a mental mistake).Section 3, My PFB Sofa said… The Nats were the visiting team yesterday. I meant two days. April 1. Nevermind. E-3. April 03, 2012 2:12 PM

63. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Theo, don't forget Alexandria.

64. RPrecupjr - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Add me to the list of "Wish-I-Could-Be-Theres", but with time off this week for singing engagements and taking the day off next Thursday for OD, I couldn't get today as well. Also, add me to the "Best Wishes Jim and Anon" group as well.Those attending should definitely stay for the Wounded Warrior game. I went to the one last year with my daughter and it was great, lots of fun, and those guys can play….very inspiring. One note…if they do it like last year, "home plate" will actually be second base, so the best (pretty much only) place to sit is in the left field bleachers, Section 101, 102, etc.

65. Theophilus - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Sec. 3 — Apologies to the Alexandrinians. There's also Warsaw.

66. ChicagoNatsGirl - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

AAARGGH, just got done crying for a variety of other reasons and then that darn Field of Dreams thing got me going again. True to my moniker, we'll be at Saturday and Sunday's Cubs games (decided to leave them to enjoy their actual home opener; it's going to be cold on Thursday anyway).

67. Unkyd - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Okeydokey, cwj….. My pooch situation cleared itself up….. Leaving me free to join my Imaginary Friends, at Duffy's, day after tomorrow!!!! I'll be ther by 2:00…GYFNG!!! I hope the Moose Ovation is worthy of keeping track with stopwatch…lemmeknow…. Enjoy this beautiful day, at the park!!

68. MicheleS - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Just ran into NatsLady in the team store. How great is that!

69. baseballswami - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I hope we get to see stuff like the team being introduced – afraid it might be covered up by commercials… This game cannot go extra innings – I have to leave for work at 6:30 on the dot!!! GYFNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Glad you'll be able to make it, Unk, and cool about running into NatsLady, MicheleS. Wish they'd have a pregame show, swami, and also hope we'll get to see some of that on tv.

71. Nats fan in NJ - Apr 3, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Drew – Enjoy Paris!Anon – All the best and may this be the first of many, many more "Play Ball!" shouts for you to enjoy.Unkyd – Literally got goosebumps up my neck as I heard James Earl Jones voice reading that recitation.GYFNG!!

72. NatsLady - Apr 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Hi from Nats Park. Got Ramos jersey. Met MicheleS. Go Nats!

73. Unkyd - Apr 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM

GOD!! How I've missed Charlie and Dave…

74. Cwj - Apr 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM

NatsLady- Awesome!Unkyd- Same here. Two of the best broadcasters in MLB, in my opinion.I also like Bob and FP on the tube.

75. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

2-0 deficit and no hits for the Nats through top of the 4th.

76. MicheleS - Apr 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Teddy lost

77. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM

NatsLady said… Hi from Nats Park. Got Ramos jersey. Met MicheleS. Go Nats! April 03, 2012 3:27 PM That is great that you got your Rammoose and met MicheleS. Doesn't get much better than that when combined with Nats Park baseball!

78. phil dunn in vero beach - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM

79. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM

phil, still 5 more innings to go.

80. baseballswami - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM

pd in vb – you are harshing my mellow. Buzz kill….

81. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Jim Kurtzke said… Last April, I was diagnosed with cancer. Today, I'm going to the ballpark. Life is great. April 03, 2012 12:47 PM Now that is great to hear! Hard to let no hits piss you off when you have been thru cancer.

82. ehay2k - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I hope the first-pitch hacks from Desmond et al are just some sort of exhibition game subterfuge from Davey. I will really get torqued if Desi, then Espi, do this in the regular season. The rest of the team really needs to see some pitches.Also, if EJax is our weakest pitcher (and I am not saying he is) then I am OK with that.

83. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM

4:04 p.m. — Don't know about all of you, but I'd really prefer not to have to write about a perfect game today. Which is what Buchholz has going through four innings.Luckily Buckholz won't pitch 9 so we don't have to worry about it, just an embarrassing offensive display.

84. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Add to that, Edwin Jackson just fell apart.

85. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

We sound terrible. Saving it all for the regular season, huh? (I hope.)Matrushka Doll

86. MC 703 - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I wish I didn't have to work today otherwise I'd be there putting a dent in the Sox fan ratio.Also, I hope this isn't a preview of our offense this year.

87. baseballswami - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Jackson getting shelled / no hitting – not a good combination. Good thing it's April 3rd not 5th. I was just thinking that there are guys in that dugout( or bullpen) who are not getting on the plane to chicago tomorrow and probably haven't been told yet. That is just so sad.

88. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM

All right, our first hit. Matrushka Doll

89. ehay2k - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM

No more no hitters. ;-)

90. Rodeorob - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I guess the Nats are just giving the home crowd what they want–a win for the Red Sox!

91. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:25 PM

LaRoche breaks up the No No. Nice, we jinxed Bucholz.

92. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Same old Werthless, new swing-same results!

93. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

RAMMOOSE

94. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Great blast from Wilson Ramos! Matrushka Doll

95. MC 703 - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

OK sorry I'm backing off the ledge now I know it's just ST still. Huzzah for Red Seats Ramos!

96. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Perfect game ended and now the shutout is gone! Its NatsLady's RAMMOOSE jersey!

97. baseballswami - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Ramooooooooooose!

98. MicheleS - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM

WILSON!! Right to the red porch

99. Nattydread - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Ramos!!!

100. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM

What's up with Chad Durbin? How can he sign with the Braves?

101. MicheleS - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Dang. I forgot to bring cookies for Ross

102. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Yep, Chad Durbin got his opt-out and Mattheus to the 'pen.

103. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Now that's a Ramos ovation!

104. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Wilson Ramos comes through in the clutch! Very nice to see his bat connect one to the Red Porch!

105. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM

haha, Desi Dinger!

106. Schumatrix - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Look at Desi!

107. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM

PFB

108. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Way to go, Ian!Matrushka Doll

109. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Nice to see Desi get that HR. Respectable scoreboard now 6-4

110. baseballswami - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Jackson was not sharp, the Sawx are a good team. Still – the Nats are climbing back with their usual bulldog persistence. Good to see.

111. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Anonymous said… phil, still 5 more innings to go. April 03, 2012 4:04 PM Good call. From 6-0 to 6-4 in 2 innings. Still losing but not a laugher.

112. FS - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM

respectable isn't good enough, let's win this one. GYFNG!!!

113. jd - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM

We all understand that this game doesn't count in the standings. Right? Just checking.

114. NatsLady - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM

There is a new big head prez. JFK is here to help Teddy win :-):-). A fan on half street. At first I thought it was Elvis but saw the toothy grin–confirmed it was Kennedy.

115. erocks33 - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM

to Jim, Anon and all others … my deepest thoughts to you and your family. It's been 8 years since I was diagnosed with cancer and (knock wood) it hasn't returned. The start of the baseball season each year is truly a wondrous thing!! May you enjoy many, many more Opening Days!Speaking of OD, I wish I could join in at Duffy's on Thursday, but my family and I will be en route to our first vacation in about 5 years. I'll be checking my phone for updates while in the air. Drink a cold one for me!!

116. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Enjoy the trip and travel safely, erocks. We'll hoist one apiece for you absent friends.

117. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Woo hoo – Nats drawing closer with another run scored!Blowing a bubble while rounding third – now, that's pro. :-)

118. MicheleS - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Apparently the guy running the scoreboard didn't know about Durbin. They had him warming up. Wow are they out of the loop!

119. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:16 PM

John Lannan to AAA? How did that happen…….

120. baseballswami - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM

That bubble right before the slide was hilarious — and it is so good to listen to Carp and FP. AAAAH — it might be exhibition baseball, but it's baseball at NatsPark – and it's fun!

121. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I guess Ross Detwiler will be the 5th starter for a few weeks until Wang gets back

122. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM

123. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Agreed on both counts, swami.

124. jd - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM

When do we need a 5th starter? It could be just a temporary thing.

125. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Anonymous said… What did that say about Lannan?????? Are you freaking kidding me? I love Detweiler, but , really??????? Lannan is a solid veteran. WTF? April 03, 2012 5:18 PM Don't hold me to it but here's Rizzo's thinking. He isn't going to put Lannan in the 'pen and Wang is ahead of schedule so he sends Lannan down instead of yo-yo'ing him and Detwiler will have a few weeks until Wang is ready to start and Craig Stammen gets the last spot in the bullpen (Detwiler's spot)

126. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Kilgore tweet evidently the source re. Lannan. Speaking of WaPo tweets, evidently Bos is on the Tweeter now.Oh, and we're all tied up now.

127. RPrecupjr - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Steve, that also gives Davey a long lefty (Gorzy) and a long righty (Stammen) in the pen like he wants

128. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Maybe thinking on Lannan is what FP was saying–they've got four other guys who throw in the mid- to high-90s–why not make if five?Player of the Game: Wilson Ramos!

129. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Nice slide, Wilson, and the home team takes the lead. :-)

130. RPrecupjr - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

And we now lead on a Dozzi sac fly….yeehah!!!

131. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Gee thanks natsfan1a, you place Killergore as a source over our SteveM who just gave you the rationale of the move.SteveM probably gave it to Kilgore!

132. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

so far, at least…

133. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I'm going to wait to hear more about Lannan before commenting on it. Oops, I just did.

134. FS - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

135. baseballswami - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Ok – so it's not april 1st , but — Desi and Danny walked back to back. We are beating the red sox, Durbin is a brave, lannan is a chief – anything else topsy turvy today? This is just strange stuff.

136. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

P2P, thanks. As you know, unless some hear it from the paid media, it doesn't matter.Funny how I brought up the Espinosa issue with the K's last week and then the next day Kilgore wrote his story.Whatever.

137. David - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

With getting back into the game on the line, Desmond and Espinosa were both able to draw walks. I'll take that as a positive…

138. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Can Mattheus go to syracuse now?

139. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM

P2P, I like to see links/sources, so I looked at Twitter feeds and found an earlier Kilgore tweet. I'm waiting to see something more in depth than a tweet, preferably with thoughts from the parties involved directly (FO and player).And we're tied up again.

140. NatsLady - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Well, that woke up the Bosox side. Mattheus about to lose the battle (and the game) if he's not careful.

141. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM

That is my preference as a consumer of information, and it's nothing personal, fwiw.P2P, thanks. As you know, unless some hear it from the paid media, it doesn't matter.

142. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM

FS said… what? that must be very insulting after publicly being handed the job of fifth starter. April 03, 2012 5:27 PM Yep, quite the shocker but the rationale is understandable as Detwiler's role is spot starter and long-man and Wang is ahead of schedule. If it was going to be long-term, then you can understand the initial thought of Lannan as the 5th man.

143. A DC Wonk - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

phil dunn in vero beach said…You are watching the same hitless wonders I watched for thirty days here in Florida. Get used to it because this Rizzo constructed team has no offense.Can I wipe that egg off your face, Phil?May all our games show as "weak" offense as this one.

144. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Yes, I could hear them awakening over the tv, NatsLady. :-)

145. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Lombo flashing some leather.

146. jd - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM

NatsLady, In a real game Matheus would never be pitching in the 8th inning of a tight game.

147. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Wonder whether they'd play an extra inning it it's tied up after 9.

148. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Steve, the good news if the tip is wrong, natsfan1a will blame Kilgore and not you.Some people just don't realize the depth of knowledge on here and just blow over it until it is written by the paid press. I guess its there right just seems short sighted.Steve told us days before Strasburg's injury was diagnosed that it was TJ and the Ryan Zimmerman injury last year and the Prince Fielder meetings. Probably another dozen more insights before anyone else had it.

149. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

"if" it's, rather

150. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

natsfan1a said… Wonder whether they'd play an extra inning it it's tied up after 9. April 03, 2012 5:42 PM Why don't you ask Kilgore?

151. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Davey burning his #2 catcher as a PH

152. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Sigh. Okay, you're all way smarter and better informed than the rest of us clueless dolts. Happy now?

153. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Good Lord.

154. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM

What, are we playing for points in here?

155. jd - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM

natsfan1a, no worries. I am not sure where they are going with this either.

156. Steve M. - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM

MPHRod, coming in! Looks like a sign they are only playing 9

157. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:52 PM

natsfan1a, not sure where you are going with it but when one of our own sticks his neck out there and you dismiss it thats your right. I stuck up for him. I don't think Steve really cares either way.

158. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:54 PM

159. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Thanks, jd. Just happy to see some baseball.

160. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Um, I'm still here, sec3, but thanks. :-)

161. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:55 PM

OK, that was ill-considered. I'm going to go watch, now.

162. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Me, too, while there's still a game to see.

163. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Henry is amp'd up!

164. NatsBrat - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I guess that we can assume that Lombo's arm and 3B are not a good fit. That's his 3rd, or is it 4th, throwing E from 3B.

165. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM

HR hitters heading up. Ramos/Bernadina/Desi

166. Anonymous - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Yikes – that was shaky Henry.

167. PAY TO PLAY - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM

NatsBrat, just doesn't look comfortable at 3rd. I know people say small sample size, I just look at his comfort level.

168. Just wonderin' - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Assuming the Lannan to AAA story is true, isn't the 5th starter often not used until the second time through the rotation? Might this just be a way to keep two relievers on the roster until the 5th starter is needed? I read the Kilgore story and the Detwiler-as-starter bit is qualified by a 'presumably'.

169. baseballswami - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I know it didn't count – but that was some exciting baseball!

170. natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Agreed, swami. It all starts counting on Thursday – yay.

171. natteringnabob - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

A 5th starter is not needed until Apr 14.If Lannan is optioned today, can he return on Apr 14 (assuming Wang is not ready)?

172. JaneB - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Unkyd, thanks for the JEJ. I am shocked by how much I couldn't see of the type, for the tears in my eyes AND how much I knew of it without having to read it. JEJ needs a spot in Cooperstown just by default.I'm having to work Thursday instead of meeting you all at Duffy's. I'm happy that you get to go, Unkyd.And wasn't Ian terrific today? I couldn't not mention that.And tomorrow the countdown clock changes to the best number prior to going away.

173. Mark'd - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Rizzo just confirmed on 106.7

174. Almost Drove Off The Road - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Shocking news on LannEn

175. Unkyd - Apr 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Jane B: we'll miss you…. I'm wondering if Desi has recently discovered Wheaties…?

176. Anonymous - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM

MArk Z said…"6:14 p.m. — Wow. Espinosa delivers a two-out single up the middle, and Desmond comes racing home, appearing to beat the throw home. But ump Chris Segal calls him out, ending the game. Looks like Segal had a flight to catch."I heard Segal's a rookie ump. His strike zone was inconsistent. Probably does have a flight to catch, including a change of planes in Sheboygen.

177. Jim Kurtzke - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Way too much attention given to Opening Day rosters. With the DLs, inevitable injuries and undeperformances, more important to see who's there around Memorial Day. That'll be the club that takes you through the bulk of the season. By the way, what a great game for an exhibition game.

178. Anonymous - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Danny worked a walk with the bases loaded. He swung at a 2-0 breaking ball in the dirt, but then took another breaker and a fading fast ball outside the zone. Desi worked a walk today, too.If they keep this up, they could work out at the top of the order. You know Danny wanted to hit away with the bags loaded, but he wouldn't bite on any thing out of the strike zone, except for one where he was fooled. Maybe those bull sessions with DeRosa are paying off. Last week he would have struck out swinging on those same pitches.Laddie_Blah_Blah