Apr 3, 2012, 5:53 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Drew Storen will open the season on the DL but expects a quick return.
Though he won't join the rest of his teammates in Chicago this weekend to open the season, Nationals closer Drew Storen expects to be able to rejoin them soon thereafter.
Storen will be placed on the 15-day disabled list this evening with right elbow inflammation, but the move can be back-dated to March 26 because he hasn't appeared in a game since. Thus, he'll be eligible to return as soon as next Tuesday, and he believes he can back in uniform shortly after that date, sometime in mid-April.
"Yeah, that seems about dead-on," he said. "I think that's pretty accurate."
Storen threw off a bullpen mound at Nationals Park this morning, ramping up his effort and throwing a few breaking balls for the first time since he was shut down three weeks ago with elbow discomfort.Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?