Apr 4, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Davey Johnson and Mike Rizzo have assembled a roster they believe can win this year.
The Nationals have never opened a season with a roster quite this talented or quite this deep. Remember those past squads that included the likes of Jerome Williams, Odalis Perez, Brandon Watson, Brian Broderick and J.J. Davis? That's not the case anymore.
If anything, the Nationals had stockpiled too much talent in big-league camp this spring and couldn't find enough spots to keep everyone worthy of a job. Thus, you'll now find John Lannan pitching in Syracuse and Chad Durbin pitching in Atlanta.
Whether general manager Mike Rizzo and manager Davey Johnson made the right decisions in assembling their Opening Day roster remains to be seen. For now, let's take a closer look at the 25 men who will take the field tomorrow in Chicago (plus the six men who will begin the season on the disabled list)…
WILSON RAMOS — After a harrowing experience in his native Venezuela this winter, the young catcher was relieved and happy to be back among teammates this spring. He'll start five or six times perRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants