Apr 4, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Veteran Mark DeRosa will start in left field and bat sixth in tomorrow's opener.
CHICAGO — Nationals manager Davey Johnson revealed his Opening Day lineup 24 hours early, opting to go with Mark DeRosa and Roger Bernadina as his fill-in left and center fielders with regulars Michael Morse and Rick Ankiel on the disabled list.
Morse (lat strain) and Ankiel (quadriceps tightness) were officially placed on the 15-day DL yesterday, though each is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment with Class AA Harrisburg tomorrow. Morse is eligible to return as soon as Tuesday; Ankiel is eligible to come back on April 12.
Those injuries forced the Nationals to turn to their bench for temporary starters at two outfield positions, but the club feels like it's in a much more equipped to handle such a situation than it's been in the past.
"We're a lot deeper," third baseman Ryan Zimmerman said. "DeRosa, [Chad] Tracy, [Xavier] Nady, they've been big-time players onRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4