Apr 4, 2012, 11:38 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
John Lannan was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse yesterday.
CHICAGO — Left-hander John Lannan, surprisingly demoted to Class AAA yesterday, has informed Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo he wants to be traded.
"I know what my rights and the team's rights are, and while I am still a member of the Washington Nationals organization, I let Mike know that I believe a trade would be the best solution for everyone in both the short and long term," Lannan wrote in an email sent to beat reporters.
Lannan, 27, had been tabbed by manager Davey Johnson last week as the club's No. 5 starter, taking the spot that opened up when veteran Chien-Ming Wang suffered a hamstring injury. But two days before their season opener against the Cubs, the Nationals reversed course and named left-hander Ross Detwiler as the final member of their rotation, optioning Lannan to Class AAA Syracuse in the process.
Lannan, who started for the Nationals on Opening Day in 2009 and 2010 and last year led the staff with 10 wins and 184 2/3 innings pitched, is making $5 million in his second season of arbitrationRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves