Apr 4, 2012, 11:38 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
John Lannan was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse yesterday.
CHICAGO — Left-hander John Lannan, surprisingly demoted to Class AAA yesterday, has informed Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo he wants to be traded.
"I know what my rights and the team's rights are, and while I am still a member of the Washington Nationals organization, I let Mike know that I believe a trade would be the best solution for everyone in both the short and long term," Lannan wrote in an email sent to beat reporters.
Lannan, 27, had been tabbed by manager Davey Johnson last week as the club's No. 5 starter, taking the spot that opened up when veteran Chien-Ming Wang suffered a hamstring injury. But two days before their season opener against the Cubs, the Nationals reversed course and named left-hander Ross Detwiler as the final member of their rotation, optioning Lannan to Class AAA Syracuse in the process.
Lannan, who started for the Nationals on Opening Day in 2009 and 2010 and last year led the staff with 10 wins and 184 2/3 innings pitched, is making $5 million in his second season of arbitrationRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent