Apr 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
US Presswire photo
John Lannan, optioned to Syracuse on Tuesday, requested he be traded yesterday.
CHICAGO — Despite a formal trade request from John Lannan, the Nationals don't appear to have any intention of dealing the recently demoted left-hander anytime soon.
"It's just a tough thing," manager Davey Johnson said before today's season opener against the Cubs. "We're not trading him, though. We're keeping him. He's a good big-league pitcher."
Lannan, the club's Opening Day starter in 2009 and 2010 and the staff leader last season in wins and innings pitched while posting a career-best 3.70 ERA, was surprisingly optioned to Class AAA Syracuse during the Nationals' exhibition finale Tuesday afternoon. Ross Detwiler, the organization's first-round pick in 2007, was instead tabbed as the No. 5 starter to open the season.
One day later, Lannan formally asked general manager Mike Rizzo to trade him, then made his request public via an email to beatRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats