Apr 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
John Lannan, optioned to Syracuse on Tuesday, requested he be traded yesterday.
CHICAGO — Despite a formal trade request from John Lannan, the Nationals don't appear to have any intention of dealing the recently demoted left-hander anytime soon.
"It's just a tough thing," manager Davey Johnson said before today's season opener against the Cubs. "We're not trading him, though. We're keeping him. He's a good big-league pitcher."
Lannan, the club's Opening Day starter in 2009 and 2010 and the staff leader last season in wins and innings pitched while posting a career-best 3.70 ERA, was surprisingly optioned to Class AAA Syracuse during the Nationals' exhibition finale Tuesday afternoon. Ross Detwiler, the organization's first-round pick in 2007, was instead tabbed as the No. 5 starter to open the season.
One day later, Lannan formally asked general manager Mike Rizzo to trade him, then made his request public via an email to beatRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats add two more relievers as Sept. call-ups
- Pressure's on Scherzer in Cards series finale
- Stock Watch: Bullpen issues haunt the Nats again
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nats make first round of September call-ups
- Nationals turn to Ross for big game in St. Louis
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5