Apr 5, 2012, 9:58 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond drives in the winning run with a ninth-inning single.
Game in a nutshell: Stephen Strasburg and Ryan Dempster's brilliance on the mound are overshadowed by late heroics at the plate by Chad Tracy and Ian Desmond. Brad Lidge closes out the ninth to earn his first save as the Nationals steal an Opening Day thriller at Wrigley Field.
Hitting highlight: With the game tied in the ninth, Tracy delivers a two-out double off the wall in right-center. Moments later, Desmond comes through with his third hit of the day, scoring pinch-runner Brett Carroll and putting the Nats on top for good.
Pitching highlight: Making his first career Opening Day start, Strasburg is everything the Nationals could have asked him to be. The young right-hander is incredibly efficient early, needing only 12 pitchesRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman passes first test at first base
- Rendon reflects on first full pro season
- Giants lose Hunter Pence to significant injury
- Scherzer "happy" with first start of spring
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action