Apr 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Fill-in closer Brad Lidge overcame a ninth-inning triple yesterday to earn his first save.
CHICAGO — Brad Lidge had taken the mound in this situation — protecting a slim, ninth-inning lead — plenty of times before. Two hundred sixty-six times in the big leagues, to be precise.
This, however, wasn't like any of those previous save opportunities. This was Lidge's first time pitching in a Nationals uniform, and only the second time he'd been entrusted to close a game in two years.
Did that make the whole scene yesterday afternoon feel out of the ordinary?
"It felt pretty familiar, to be honest," the 35-year-old said. "I think once you get out there and you're facing the Cubs at Wrigley, you go back to facing the Cubs at Wrigley. It's a different team, of course, and the guys behind me are different. But I know what I wanted to do out there,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back