Apr 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Fill-in closer Brad Lidge overcame a ninth-inning triple yesterday to earn his first save.
CHICAGO — Brad Lidge had taken the mound in this situation — protecting a slim, ninth-inning lead — plenty of times before. Two hundred sixty-six times in the big leagues, to be precise.
This, however, wasn't like any of those previous save opportunities. This was Lidge's first time pitching in a Nationals uniform, and only the second time he'd been entrusted to close a game in two years.
Did that make the whole scene yesterday afternoon feel out of the ordinary?
"It felt pretty familiar, to be honest," the 35-year-old said. "I think once you get out there and you're facing the Cubs at Wrigley, you go back to facing the Cubs at Wrigley. It's a different team, of course, and the guys behind me are different. But I know what I wanted to do out there,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard