Game 2: Nats at Cubs

Apr 7, 2012, 2:25 PM EST

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It's a much warmer day at Wrigley Field, where the wind is now blowing out.

CHICAGO — Wow, what a difference a couple of days makes. After a brutally cold and windy Opening Day, the conditions at Wrigley Field have taken a 180-degree turn. Temperatures will be up into the 60s by mid-afternoon, and the breeze has shifted and is now blowing out to left field.

That should mean a little more offense in Game 2 than there was in Game 1. That also puts some added pressure on Gio Gonzalez to keep the ball down in the zone and in the park. The Nats' new No. 2 starter makes his debut, looking to build off a strong spring training performance.

Right-hander Matt Garza is on the mound for the Cubs, and he'll see the exact same lineup Ryan Dempster saw on Opening Day. No changes for Davey Johnson, so that means Adam LaRoche (who, quite frankly, looked terrible striking out in his first three at-bats before drawing a key walk in the eighth inning) is once again hitting cleanup behind Ryan Zimmerman.

Plenty of updates to come all afternoon, so please check back often…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CHICAGO CUBS
Where: Wrigley Field
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Sunny, 60 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to LF

SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. Sunderland - Apr 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM

So are we to expect HRod in a closing situation? I'm a big Henry fan, but I'd go easier on the Maalox with Lidge closing.

2. TimDz - Apr 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

The way he was squaring up the bat, I'd put Zim in the clean up slot, Werth third and ALR in fifth.

3. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I recall from last year that everyone said ALR was, historically, a slow starter. I hope that's true. Because even on TV it looked ugly. Here's to Gio locating that ball, and out guys connecting with it, with runners in scoring position.GYFNG!

4. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM

How much live pitching did LaRoche see in ST? I seem to recall him sitting out a fair number of games but maybe I'm misremembering.

5. baseballswami - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

ALR — ok , so he is a slow starter – so why does he have to bat clean up? Can he not bat somewhere lower in the order? As I recall, most of the live pitching he saw in ST was in the minor league side. I just hate to see him in that rally killer spot when he is just not ready to hit yet. He hasn't really played healthy in a very long time.

6. Whatsanattau - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM

He was part of the winning rally on Thursday. Bats left between two righties.

7. Kirbs - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hopefully zim will get ahold of a couple pitches again…and hopefully ALR will touch the ball……..

8. NatsBrat - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Davey knows! I just hope he knows more about ALR than what we are seeing now. A nortorious slow starter who had very few reps in ST—this could be an ugly wait.Good thing The Beast can play 1B, and maybe LH Tracy has something to offer,like his last 2B hit.Gooooooooooooo Nats!

9. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Even with the bad ankle, ALR continued to get AB's over on the Minor League side. He probably got more AB's there than he would have playing in the ML ST games. He just never ran.

10. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM

11. baseballswami - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I get the whole left, right thing but I think with hitters and pitchesr that can be taken too far.

12. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Morse getting treatment today in Ny and it's not a red flag, huh? I am entirely too emotionally involved in the everday ins and outs of this team.

13. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM

ALR should not be hitting 4th until his stroke returns. He would have struck out 4 times yesterday but the ump missed what should have been the called 3rd strike in the 8th on a full count, giving LaRoche a free pass on what should have been the final, rally ending out in the Nats 8th.He should be hitting 7th or 8th until he starts making contact, at least. Having him in the 4-hole almost certainly cost the Nats some runs yesterday, and probably cost SS his first win of the season. I like ALR, but do not ask him to do something he is not yet up to.Laddie_Blah_Blah

14. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Thanks for the info on LaRoche AB's, NatsJack.

15. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM

You left out Pipo, but, yeah. :-)Section 3, My PFB Sofa said… Don't you think anybody nicknamed "The Buffalo" and "Red Porch" ought to at least get serious consideration for hitting cleanup at Wrigley with the wind blowing out? April 07, 2012 11:50 AM

16. Muddy Ruel - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Okay, I'm gettin' a little tired of these sorry nicknames — Meat-hook, Werthless and now CockLaRoche! Come on! We had better nicknames in my day — Big Train, Cool Papa, Three Finger, even Ol' Stubblebeard.

17. Nats1924 - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM

162-0???

18. Nats1924 - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM

And for the record, thank goodness masn's Debbie Taylor is gone. She was awful

19. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Why would anyone pitch to Zim with Laroche behind him?

20. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Does anyone know if Gio has ever faced the Cubs in Interleague?

21. Sunderland - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Why would anyone pitch to Zim with LaRoche behind him? Maybe it is because people who play MLB baseball respect LaRoche more than people who just watch baseball.

22. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM

MicheleS, you can click on links on this page for details, but basically: 5 IP, 0 W, 1 L, ERA 10.80, 3 K.

23. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Why would anyone pitch to Zim with LaRoche behind him?Because Desmond is already on first base.

24. Joe Seamhead - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Gosh, why doesn't Davey Johnson call you guys to learn how to set a batting order, what with all of your experience, and of course your greater success then he has had in his career? GYFNG!!!

25. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM

1a.. thats ugly, so here is hoping he can turn that around!GYNGIOG!

26. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM

than.Greater THAN.

27. Erik - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Orioles vs. Nationals in 2014 World Series in a Battle of the Beltway!!!Orioles Lineup:2B Jonathan SchoopRF Nick MarkakisSS Manny MachadoCF Adam JonesC Matt Wieters3B J.J. HardyDH Mark Reynolds1B Nicky Delmonico or FA/Brian Roberts TradeLF Nolan Reimold or FA/Brian Roberts TradeSP Dylan BundySP Cole HamelsSP Jake ArrietaSP Zach BrittonSP Brian MatuszCloser Dan KleinRP Jim JohnsonRP Bobby BundyRP Chris TillmanRP Wei-Yin ChenRP Parker BridwellRP Brad Bergesen or Troy PattonBN Robert AndinoBN Chris DavisBN L.J. HoesBN Xavier AveryBN TBD CatcherNationals Lineup:SS Ian Desmond/Danny Espinosa2B/DH Anthony RendonRF Bryce Harper1B Michael Morse3B Ryan ZimmermanLF Jayson WerthCF B.J. UptonC Wilson RamosSS/DH Danny Espinosa/Ian Desmond/LombardozziSP Stephen StrasburgSP Gio GonzalezSP Jordan ZimmermanSP Matt PurkeSP Detwiler/Wang/MeyerCloser Drew Storen/Henry RodriguezRP Tyler ClippardRP Henry RodriguezRP Alex MeyerRP Sean BurnettRP Robbie RayRP Sammy SolisBN Stephen LombardozziBN Chris MarreroBN Jesus FloresBN Brian GoodwinBN Mark DeRosaWho gets traded first:-Brian Roberts-Jesus Flores

28. Sunderland - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Three batters in, and FP has declared that Desmond's steal of 2nd yesterday was yesterday's play of the game. And then he also declared Zim's pick and tag of Soriano trying to swipe 3rd was the play of the game. Hoping to have 4 or 5 more from FP during the next couple innings.

29. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Much better second inning by Gio.He was clearly a little nervous there in the 1st.No doubt he will try hard to impress us loyal Nats fans this year :-)Go Gio!

30. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Hey -where is everybody?? Gio stee-rugglin'

31. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Anon 1:44- Yeah it is a little quiet here today…

32. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

looks like he has settled down..Love the smile after he flew out to center

33. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Gio's curveball is awesome. I'm quite impressed :-) He threw it 27.8 percent of the time last year (3rd most in MLB) and I can see why.

34. jeffwx - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Yes, comment. I had to get rid of cable for financial considerations. I need your commentary.how about this…You can never have enough pitching ? or can you. Nats have to put a middle of the rotation 5 Mill/year pitcher to the minors. Maybe the pitching was strong enough w/o Jackson. Maybe when you have enough pitching, you may want to shore up other weaknesses to create balance. eg: Center Field…take away a couple of pitcher trades, live with a balanced pitching and trade /take chances on some hitting to shore up holes in outfield. (yes and keep Morse at First).This lineup won't hunt.

35. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I'll still post my player projections that I "divined" for the 2012 season :-)But until then here's what I came up with for Gio Gonzalez:18-9, 3.24 ERA, 33 GS, 206 IP, 175 H, 87 BB, 210 SO. Leads the Nats in wins and Strikeouts.

36. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

The curve all IS awesome, isn't it? So is that smile. I wish Marlon had bobbled the ball like it looked like he might.Anyone else notice that you HEAR the ball get hit or caught before it shows up on the screen? So disconcerting.

37. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Good for Adam!! Woo Hoo!!!

38. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM

His name is ALR!!!!

39. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Way to go LaRoche!! 2 run homer with 2 out!

40. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Okay. He can hit clean up. Nice to see Nats fans in the crowd too.

41. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Did you see Matt Garza's reaction in the dugout after he gave up the homer to LaRoche?Jeez, calm down. It's not like he gave up a grand slam on the last day of the season.I'm SO glad the Nats are filled with happy, smiling, yet highly competitive players.

42. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

LaRoche to Insiders (including me): I got your AB right here.

43. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

The umpire just cost the Nats 2 runs.It was a clear strike before the triple :(

44. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Yikes. My stomach is killing me. How do pitchers stay in their own skin?Is it too early for bourbon? Maalox tastes bad on its own.

45. UNTERP - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Cwj said… The umpire just cost the Nats 2 runs.It was a clear strike before the triple :( Not really. Ump hadn't called that a strike all game. Also, Gio caused his own misfortune with a walk, but that's who he is…

46. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

—and we gave up for top notch prospects for this guy!

47. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

four

48. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Gio getting squeezed but not handling it well

49. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I predict Gio will be lights out Thursday. He will.

50. UNTERP - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

JaneB said… Wait on the bourbon. I smell a come back and you know I'm the king of spiked Koolaid…

51. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Sure am glad we gave up 4 players for THIS!!! Great move Rizzo. This guy has ZERO control. Gets behind every hitter. WOW…just WOW!!!

52. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Anonymous… make sure you make your judgement of a player after four innings pitched… because that's an intelligent way to value a player…

53. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Seriously, Anon @2:29.do you not know this guy's record? He is terrific. Just not today.

54. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Some bad luck, timely hits, and a bad umpire contributes to Gonzalez getting yanked in the 4th.He was wild early, settled down, then appeared to get frustrated when the umpire refused to call his outside fastball a strike.Gio's 6 strikeouts are a sign of things to come though.Shake it off and get 'em next time Gio!

55. jeffwx - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

hey i think Tom Milone could do that.Peacock too.

56. jeffwx - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Milone's got excellent control too.

57. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

When did we sign Oliver Perez???

58. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Neg Anons- Yep, those prospects are gone.Either get over it, or become an Oakland As fan.

59. dj in Fl. - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Cubs announcers noted the home plate umps personal strike zone. They said calling them consistent for both teams, is not the same as calling the strike zone as defined in the rule book.

60. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I'm with JaneB and Cwj. Shower this one off and we'll look forward to seeing you next time, Gio.

61. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Now to get in Garza's head a little bit…

62. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Millone projects as a Lannan with better control.Peacock a long reliever (According to FanGraphs)Chances are neither will come close to winning 31 games over a two year span or become an All-Star.Gio has done that, and he's only 26!

63. jeffwx - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

just saying if you're gonna give up the farm you better get what you really need. Otherwise, you go with the farm until what you really need is available. You don't have many opportunities in this game to give up the farm. Rizzo gone in 2013.

64. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Oh hey there Natsfan!I was worried the Neg-Anons were going to pile on :-)

65. jeffwx - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

What about AJ Cole…Milone has remarkable controlAnd then there was Norris.A lot to give up for anybody.

66. Section 222 - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I like the quick hook from Davey, and letting Stammen bat. We have a strong and rested bullpen. No need to let Gio labor and get beat up more. Posting this before Stammen's AB though. :-)

67. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Jeff- Not if the Team wants to win now and next year.Who knows how Cole will do even 4 years from now?He's merely another prospect. Sometimes you just have to give them up to win games.

68. hmmm... - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM

for is greater then four. four what it's werth.

69. jeffwx - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I hope you are right Cwj. I think it was a high risk trade because it is possible the trade gives you maybe 5 more wins this year and less as we go out in time. You get a Michael Bourne, Hunter Pence type lead off hitter outfielder for those 4 guys…probably adds up to more wins in the next two years.

70. baseballswami - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Way to stop the momentum Craig Stammen!!

71. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Now hopefully the very deep bullpen will keep the Nats in the game.These 1 and 2 run games are going to kill us fans by the All-Star break though :-)

72. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Ok. Rodneys commercial is waaay better than the Luna commercial. Just sayin'…

73. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Craig Stammen has never pitched horrible for the Nats. Actually, he had always fared very well and could be starting on several staffs in either league.

74. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM

JaneB- Agreed. Ugh, I hate those Luna commercials.Did they own a share in MASN? Certainly seems like it :-)

75. Smatt1001 - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Is it just me or is the strike zone off this afternoon?

76. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

ALR….. Did somebody say he can't hit?

77. baseballswami - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Strike zone is very inconsistent today. If our guys ever stop taking turns having hitterish days and all hit on the same day, we will be fine.ALR today — I guess I will take back everything i said about him batting 4th.

78. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

NatsJack- Yeah I like Stammen.For some reason I kind of forgot about him until the end of ST.He seems tailor made for (quality) long-relief, I think.

79. Kirbs - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Werth(less) can't even see a breaking ball. Def can't hit one.

80. Erik - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Jeff-I wouldn't try to make sense on this website. You will be branded as a "troll". Many here are quite delusional. I think Gio will be good and don't have strong feelings one way or another about the trade, but I am not the GM. Giving up 4 prospects for a guy with such bad control is very, very risky. His job is to get the big moves like this right. He is 0 for 1 with Werth, so Gio will have a big say in determining his success as a GM here in Washington. Werth will be a $126 million bench player by next year if he keeps this up (which we all know he can). You heard it here first.

81. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Yeah the strike zone is way off today.I think MLB should just use Pitch Track for balls and strikes :-)

82. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Ryan, is that you? :-)Is it just me or is the strike zone off this afternoon?

83. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Umpire SUCKS, I wish Ryan would have smacked that chump!! Werth SUCKS Period, I am done with him after 2 games, he is sooooo bad at the plate.

84. jeffwx - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Yup..We shouldn't give up a lot of leads with our pen. Just need to increase your chances of being in the lead after 6 to bring in Clip,HROD, Lidge, Storen….Just a little more hitting…must we wait for Morse and Bryce. I'll buy cable in July. They both should be playing up here by then.

85. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Six more years of pain watching Werthless. Rizzo should be fired for signing that turkey.

86. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM

jeffwx, don't know what your budget might be but have you looked at mlb gameday, audio or video? I don't have the video but other commenters who do seem to like it.

87. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Anony: Rizzo has done well, every GM makes a mistake, however, signing WerthLESS was a whopper. The value of the signing is that it showed GOOD free agents that Nats will pay money.

88. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Jeff- Agreed about the bullpen and hitting.I'm pretty sure Harper will be up by July if the offense remains weak.But I'll be very happy to see Morse in the lineup soon.I think he'll be back next week? Not sure.

89. jeffwx - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Desmond, Espinoza, Zimmerman,Morse,Harper,Werth,LaRoche,Ramosin July….we'll score enough to get by.Off to the bar to watch the end. I like Jane's prediction and the weak Cubs bullpen. Even Werth could get hot hitting against them.

90. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

what the hell

91. Section 222 - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Actually FP, a good throw by Ramos gets him on that play.

92. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Werth couldn't hit the side of a barn, he SUCKS!!!!!

93. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Mark Z wrote: So you know he must have had a good case when he started yapping at Kerwin Danley after the latter rung him…When I read that I thought, "Kerwin Danley caught that ball I didn't want him to catch!" But then I looked at the Cubs line up and saw that THAT was Darwin Barney (I've never heard of him before). No wonder I was confused.But I'm mad at Kerwin, not confused about THAT. And under no delusions that it even matters….

94. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM

This game has come to grinding halt.

95. jeffwx - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Yeah but it takes Morse a while to start hittin. Maybe cable will be werth it in June ?Here's an idea for Rizzo… Overpay a free agent who can hit without Ryan Howard behind him.

96. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

lol Jeffwx

97. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Where'd my channel go?!?!?

98. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

MASN broadcast frozen…

99. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

we have a shot, 4-2 game 9 outs left verse the Cubs, the friggin Cubs!!!

100. baseballswami - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I like the way Stammen pitches to induce weak contact. He got in a little jam there but stayed calm and got out of it. I kind of wish they had let him swing away earlier instead of bunting – he is a very good hitter with lots of hits and rbis considering his limited appearances.

101. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

wth – did everybody else's broadcast freeze up?

102. Kirbs - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Stammen did a great job. Held it for at least a chance.

103. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I have verizon and masn is just fine.

104. Kirbs - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

105. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

DeRosa and Zim were hitting like crazy before the season started…

106. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Guess so. WGN has Law and Order. Thx, Mr. Angelos. :-)

107. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Nats hitters making this very easy on the Cubs pitcher.

108. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I also have Verizon = frozen.

109. Arlington BigFish - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I have Verizon Fios, & mine's frozen.

110. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Morse! We need you!!!

111. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Comcast/Xfinity here and mine didn't freeze either…

112. Erik - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I think Peter Boy is having a nice little chuckle with his MASN cohorts right about now. This is really ridiculous in this day and age!!!

113. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Other MASN station has push/pause (seems apropos).

114. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

MASN HD is frozen. Non-HD is fine.

115. Dave - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I've got Verizon, and MASN HD is frozen. Standard def okay, but sucky on big screen. Kinda like the game.

116. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Thx, Anon and Dave. Didn't occur to me to check standard def. Works for me, too.

117. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I have some hopes of the game un-sucking, Dave. :-)

118. baseballswami - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

The official slogan for the season is "Ignite your Natitude" — mine is "Frustration – Learn to Embrace it!"

119. Dave - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Mattheus looked good, so that's something. I think. Picture's pretty blurry.

120. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Mark DeRosa is Matt Stairs II.

121. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

gotta score in 8th

122. SayNoToClint - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Get you s**t together, MASN/FiOS. I shouldn't have to watch games in SD.

123. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM

A lot of money Werthless and Z man. Not doing anything, 75 wins only this season.

124. UnkyD - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Time to hammer Wood, again…?

125. Cwj - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Dave- Yeah Mattheus was awesome, even on the HD :-)

126. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Nats showing off their very talented pitching staff today … even with the off day by Gio Gonzalez. You are seeing why I think they win the division … Hopefully, folks (like JayB) will stop beating the dead horse over Chad Durbin … he might as well be Chad Gaudin. This guy was unhittable as the Syracuse closer he CAN CLOSE for the Nats. But, then so can HRod, and so can Lidge and then there's 98 MPH Storen. Why do you want 4 closers? And what do you do with them? Just watch Davey Johnson this is a bullpen he designed. And that is one thing as a manager he is very, very good at.

127. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Ok – it's only the second game, folks – breathe.

128. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

all right Danny!!

129. SayNoToClint - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Danny! (Still not in HD). But Danny!

130. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Look in their dugout, Danny. You know, like in the commercial. :-)

131. RickH - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Way to go Danny!!!

132. baseballswami - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Danny!!!!!!

133. UnkyD - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Espi The Hammer!!!

134. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Hey, who threw that back? :-)

135. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM

hehe, I was typing the "look in their dugout" before he teed off on it.

136. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I'll take a low-def dinger any day.

137. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

this AB will define Werth for the season….

138. RickH - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

A.L.R.

139. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Time for Werth to earn those millions now.

140. Erik - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

PH for Werth!!! PH for Werth!!! PH for Werth!!!

141. Dave - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Who was saying yesterday that LaRoche sucks? Not so much.

142. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Woo! Zimm! Woo! LaRoche! No, don't take him out. :-( Oh, Marmol? Okay, go ahead then.

143. baseballswami - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

The big moment always seems to fine Jayson Werth, doesn't it?

144. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Werthless! Ouch.

145. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM

The Danny commercial was just on!

146. Section 222 - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Quick, pick the non-pitcher Nat you would least like to have up at this point. at least he's not facing Garza. come on Werth. prove us wrong.

147. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Perfect timing on the Danny commercial.

148. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I'd like to order one wild pitch, please.

149. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Bases loaded! A walk is as good as a hit here, so back offa Jayson.

150. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Fios is still frozen. UGH and I love my HD signal.

151. SayNoToClint - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

MicheleS, switch to 77 — low def is better than no def.

152. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Thanks for the tip that the game is on regular TV!

153. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Chad!

154. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Try the standard def, Michele.

155. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I love this dude!!!!

156. Dave - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Chad Tracy: this week's hero.

157. SayNoToClint - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

TRACY in low def!

158. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

159. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Hard to tell in SD, is that Chad Tracy or Ted Williams??

160. Section 222 - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

That was a professional at bat Mr. Tracy! Hats off to you.

161. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

He has had more clutch, off the bench hits than Matt Stairs had all of last season! What an upgrade.

162. Wally - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Chad Tracy has been HUGE so far. He was on every pitch there.C'mon Bernie, add another here.This ump sucks, pardon my French.

163. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

SO I am thinking Chad Tracy is our payback for last year's bench (i.e. Matt Stairs)Oh and UNTERP.. way to call the comeback!

164. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Now, that's a hairy chest. :-)

165. Frediemac - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Sweet Mother of all that is Holy….GO NATS!

166. RickH - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Love it!

167. Smatt1001 - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Let's go Nats!! Break it open!

168. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I have it in SD.. If we keep hitting like this, I will keep in is SD all year!GO BERNIE

169. baseballswami - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Who is this guy and where did he come from? Japan? Really? Bernie!!!!!!

170. SayNoToClint - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

F.P. just called Tracy's at-bat a "big boy" at-bat. And nice insurance run from the Shark.

171. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

gang, we should come out 2-0?

172. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Bernie!!

173. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

And Sharkadina! And may I say thatnWerth's WALK is why we are up two, instead of one.

174. Drew - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Sacre bleu! Way to battle, boys!

175. Wally - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I think I am watching Bizarro Nats. Even Carp made me laugh : " I like Chad Tracy, because he delivers on Saturdays".Bernie, way to add on.

176. UnkyD - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I love how these fellas make all the negs produce a mouthful of bile, for 7 innings, then make them swallow it to go "WOOHOO", on the 8th!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

177. waddu eye no - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

178. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!Just finishing the sentence….natsfan1a said… WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

179. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

No HD, late game heroics from guys I never heard of, feels like 2005

180. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Does this mean that we have to watch every game in low-def now?

181. Wally - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I WANT MORE RUNS, LOMBO!

182. Erik - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Is that all 10 runs with 2 outs today? Gotta love Major League Baseball!!!

183. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Thanks, Michele. Lost my train of thought. ;-)

184. JaneB - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Marmol has helped us like this before, hasn't he?

185. Smatt1001 - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

And there goes Marmol!!

186. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM

2 run lead at least, we should win this

187. Big Oil - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM

YESSSSS. I know it's a long season, but I love this team. Unreal AB's this inning.

188. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM

JaneB.. July 4th last year. Werth, walk off on the Marmol wild pitch

189. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I heart Marmol.

190. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM

maybe I am paranoid, but I am not a huge Lidge fan, why not have Tyler finish up the last 2

191. UnkyD - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Two out, nobody on…. 7 consecutive hitters(so far)…No Quit in these clowns… Keep up with the bile-spewing, Negs… I have a feeling these guys like it!!! :)

192. SayNoToClint - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Nice hustle by Lombo

193. Wally - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Hey Mick, you're killing me on the superstition thing.Yo Lombo, attaboy!

194. whatsanattau - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Too bad our bench isn't better.

195. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

or, go with Sean B and then Tyler in the 9th

196. MicheleS - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Mick.. We will be seeing HROD in the 9th if there is a save situation (I think they are alternating days or at least that was the plan

197. natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Are those Cubs fans saying, Lomboooo?

198. Section 222 - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Marmol has helped us like this before, hasn't he?Yup.

199. Mick - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Wally, get use to me… I am a nervous nellie, LOL

200. Anonymous - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM

The Bullpen B Team kept the Nats in it today…