Apr 7, 2012, 8:29 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez struggled, but his teammates (and the Cubs bullpen) bailed him out.
Game in a nutshell: Stymied once again by a Cubs starter (Matt Garza this time) the Nationals waited until the Chicago bullpen entered to inflict their damage. Kerry Wood and Carlos Marmol gave up five runs in a wild eighth inning as the Nats stormed back to improve to 2-0.
Hitting highlight: Trailing by two runs with two outs in the top of the eighth, eight consecutive Nationals batters reached safely. Danny Espinosa ignited the rally with an opposite-field homer, and Chad Tracy delivered once again with a two-run single that put the Nats ahead for good.
Pitching lowlight: Making his highly anticipated Nationals debut, Gio Gonzalez labored from the moment he took the mound and couldn't make it out of the fourth inning. The left-hander allowed four runs onRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos