Apr 7, 2012, 8:29 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez struggled, but his teammates (and the Cubs bullpen) bailed him out.
Game in a nutshell: Stymied once again by a Cubs starter (Matt Garza this time) the Nationals waited until the Chicago bullpen entered to inflict their damage. Kerry Wood and Carlos Marmol gave up five runs in a wild eighth inning as the Nats stormed back to improve to 2-0.
Hitting highlight: Trailing by two runs with two outs in the top of the eighth, eight consecutive Nationals batters reached safely. Danny Espinosa ignited the rally with an opposite-field homer, and Chad Tracy delivered once again with a two-run single that put the Nats ahead for good.
Pitching lowlight: Making his highly anticipated Nationals debut, Gio Gonzalez labored from the moment he took the mound and couldn't make it out of the fourth inning. The left-hander allowed four runs onRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span