Apr 7, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez struggled, but his teammates (and the Cubs bullpen) bailed him out.
Game in a nutshell: Stymied once again by a Cubs starter (Matt Garza this time) the Nationals waited until the Chicago bullpen entered to inflict their damage. Kerry Wood and Carlos Marmol gave up five runs in a wild eighth inning as the Nats stormed back to improve to 2-0.
Hitting highlight: Trailing by two runs with two outs in the top of the eighth, eight consecutive Nationals batters reached safely. Danny Espinosa ignited the rally with an opposite-field homer, and Chad Tracy delivered once again with a two-run single that put the Nats ahead for good.
Pitching lowlight: Making his highly anticipated Nationals debut, Gio Gonzalez labored from the moment he took the mound and couldn't make it out of the fourth inning. The left-hander allowed four runs onRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nats make first round of September call-ups
- Nationals turn to Ross for big game in St. Louis
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury