Apr 8, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann was sharp and efficient in his season debut, but took the loss.
Game in a nutshell: Following their usual script, the Nationals did nothing at the plate for seven innings. Unlike the previous two games, though, they had no late magic and wound up wasting Jordan Zimmermann's gem and an opportunity to open the season with a three-game sweep of the Cubs.
Hitting lowlight: The Nationals' lineup was once again rendered helpless by a Cubs starting pitcher. This time, Jeff Samardzija held them to one run on three hits before finally surrendering a two-run homer to Adam LaRoche with two outs in the ninth. Carlos Marmol saved the day for Chicago, though, getting Xavier Nady to end the game.
Pitching highlight: Jordan Zimmermann was both sharp and highly efficient in his first start of the season, needing only 80 pitches toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Nationals Stock Watch: Heroes aplenty during memorable week
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season