Apr 8, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann was sharp and efficient in his season debut, but took the loss.
Game in a nutshell: Following their usual script, the Nationals did nothing at the plate for seven innings. Unlike the previous two games, though, they had no late magic and wound up wasting Jordan Zimmermann's gem and an opportunity to open the season with a three-game sweep of the Cubs.
Hitting lowlight: The Nationals' lineup was once again rendered helpless by a Cubs starting pitcher. This time, Jeff Samardzija held them to one run on three hits before finally surrendering a two-run homer to Adam LaRoche with two outs in the ninth. Carlos Marmol saved the day for Chicago, though, getting Xavier Nady to end the game.
Pitching highlight: Jordan Zimmermann was both sharp and highly efficient in his first start of the season, needing only 80 pitches toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge