Apr 8, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Top draft pick Anthony Rendon injured himself running the bases last night.
CHICAGO — Nationals prospect Anthony Rendon has been diagnosed with a "badly sprained" left ankle, according to a club spokesman, after slipping while rounding third base during last night's Class A Potomac game at Lynchburg.
X-rays taken on Rendon's ankle were negative, according to another club official, but the organization won't have a timetable for his return until swelling has diminished and he's able to be re-examined by doctors.
Rendon had doubled in the top of the fourth inning and was trying to score on Justin Bloxom's subsequent base hit to center field when he slipped coming around third base and fell to the ground, according to eyewitnesses.
The 21-year-old third baseman lay motionless for several minutesRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug