Apr 8, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Top draft pick Anthony Rendon injured himself running the bases last night.
CHICAGO — Nationals prospect Anthony Rendon has been diagnosed with a "badly sprained" left ankle, according to a club spokesman, after slipping while rounding third base during last night's Class A Potomac game at Lynchburg.
X-rays taken on Rendon's ankle were negative, according to another club official, but the organization won't have a timetable for his return until swelling has diminished and he's able to be re-examined by doctors.
Rendon had doubled in the top of the fourth inning and was trying to score on Justin Bloxom's subsequent base hit to center field when he slipped coming around third base and fell to the ground, according to eyewitnesses.
The 21-year-old third baseman lay motionless for several minutesRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge