Apr 8, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Top draft pick Anthony Rendon injured himself running the bases last night.
CHICAGO — Nationals prospect Anthony Rendon has been diagnosed with a "badly sprained" left ankle, according to a club spokesman, after slipping while rounding third base during last night's Class A Potomac game at Lynchburg.
X-rays taken on Rendon's ankle were negative, according to another club official, but the organization won't have a timetable for his return until swelling has diminished and he's able to be re-examined by doctors.
Rendon had doubled in the top of the fourth inning and was trying to score on Justin Bloxom's subsequent base hit to center field when he slipped coming around third base and fell to the ground, according to eyewitnesses.
The 21-year-old third baseman lay motionless for several minutesRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win