Apr 8, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Top draft pick Anthony Rendon injured himself running the bases last night.
CHICAGO — Nationals prospect Anthony Rendon has been diagnosed with a "badly sprained" left ankle, according to a club spokesman, after slipping while rounding third base during last night's Class A Potomac game at Lynchburg.
X-rays taken on Rendon's ankle were negative, according to another club official, but the organization won't have a timetable for his return until swelling has diminished and he's able to be re-examined by doctors.
Rendon had doubled in the top of the fourth inning and was trying to score on Justin Bloxom's subsequent base hit to center field when he slipped coming around third base and fell to the ground, according to eyewitnesses.
The 21-year-old third baseman lay motionless for several minutesRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?