Apr 8, 2012, 11:20 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Danny Espinosa and the Nats have scored just three runs in innings 1-7 this season.
CHICAGO — The Nationals don't seem to have any trouble putting runs on the board late. But early in games? Well, that's an entirely different story.
So in the wake of a frustrating, 4-3 loss to the Cubs this afternoon — one that saw Jeff Samardzija shove it down the Nationals' throats until Adam LaRoche's two-run homer with two outs in the ninth — is there anything that can be done to try to generate some offense before, you know, they sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame?"
"Some homers would be nice," Ian Desmond cracked before turning serious. "I mean, it's the third game. We all had great springs."
Success in March, however, doesn't always translate to success in April. And right now, anybody in the Nationals' lineup not named Desmond (5-for-13) or LaRoche (5-for-12, two homers) is finding that out theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats