Apr 8, 2012, 11:20 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Danny Espinosa and the Nats have scored just three runs in innings 1-7 this season.
CHICAGO — The Nationals don't seem to have any trouble putting runs on the board late. But early in games? Well, that's an entirely different story.
So in the wake of a frustrating, 4-3 loss to the Cubs this afternoon — one that saw Jeff Samardzija shove it down the Nationals' throats until Adam LaRoche's two-run homer with two outs in the ninth — is there anything that can be done to try to generate some offense before, you know, they sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame?"
"Some homers would be nice," Ian Desmond cracked before turning serious. "I mean, it's the third game. We all had great springs."
Success in March, however, doesn't always translate to success in April. And right now, anybody in the Nationals' lineup not named Desmond (5-for-13) or LaRoche (5-for-12, two homers) is finding that out theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard