Apr 8, 2012, 11:20 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Danny Espinosa and the Nats have scored just three runs in innings 1-7 this season.
CHICAGO — The Nationals don't seem to have any trouble putting runs on the board late. But early in games? Well, that's an entirely different story.
So in the wake of a frustrating, 4-3 loss to the Cubs this afternoon — one that saw Jeff Samardzija shove it down the Nationals' throats until Adam LaRoche's two-run homer with two outs in the ninth — is there anything that can be done to try to generate some offense before, you know, they sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame?"
"Some homers would be nice," Ian Desmond cracked before turning serious. "I mean, it's the third game. We all had great springs."
Success in March, however, doesn't always translate to success in April. And right now, anybody in the Nationals' lineup not named Desmond (5-for-13) or LaRoche (5-for-12, two homers) is finding that out theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Slumping Nats already 7 games back in NL East
- Bats silent in 8-0 Marlins win over Washington
- Thumb swollen, Scherzer can't throw in bullpen
- Nationals try to get back on track in Miami
- Lack of late-inning execution holding back Nats
- Marlins 3, Nats 2: Familiar storyline leads to loss
- Intentional or not, Harper leads MLB in walks
- Nationals open long road trip in Miami
- MLB Power Rankings: Mets, Padres surprising early
- 'Baseball in the District' - Tom Schad of the Washington Times