Apr 9, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
Associated Press photo
The fences have been moved way in at Citi Field this season.
OK, so it's only three games into the season, but who would have predicted the team sitting atop the NL East at this early stage would be the 3-0 … New York Mets?! Yep, the club everyone expects to finish dead-last in the division pulled off a sweep of the Braves to begin its season. Perhaps those cozy new dimensions at Citi Field — the outfield wall has been moved in at several locations after David Wright, Jason Bay and others complained the last couple of years — are making a difference already.
The Nationals will have to hope they benefit as well from the shorter fences and perhaps get something going offensively right from the get-go tonight instead of waiting til the eighth inning to start producing. Davey Johnson is going with his regular lineup, with one exception: Jesus Flores makes his first start behind the plate, giving Wilson Ramos a breather.
Edwin Jackson, meanwhile, makes his Nationals debut on the mound. The right-hander, signed to an $11 million contract on Feb. 1, had a bit of a ragged spring. Not to suggest that will actually carry over into the regular season, but Jackson obviously would like to put together a nice outing tonight and erase whatever questions there may be.
I'm not in New York for this series, spending some quality time with the family for a couple of days in advance of Thursday's home opener. Enjoy the game and the conversation as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 60 degrees, Wind 19 mph out to RF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East