Game 4: Nats at Mets

Apr 9, 2012, 7:45 PM EDT

Associated Press photo
The fences have been moved way in at Citi Field this season.

OK, so it's only three games into the season, but who would have predicted the team sitting atop the NL East at this early stage would be the 3-0 … New York Mets?! Yep, the club everyone expects to finish dead-last in the division pulled off a sweep of the Braves to begin its season. Perhaps those cozy new dimensions at Citi Field — the outfield wall has been moved in at several locations after David Wright, Jason Bay and others complained the last couple of years — are making a difference already.

The Nationals will have to hope they benefit as well from the shorter fences and perhaps get something going offensively right from the get-go tonight instead of waiting til the eighth inning to start producing. Davey Johnson is going with his regular lineup, with one exception: Jesus Flores makes his first start behind the plate, giving Wilson Ramos a breather.

Edwin Jackson, meanwhile, makes his Nationals debut on the mound. The right-hander, signed to an $11 million contract on Feb. 1, had a bit of a ragged spring. Not to suggest that will actually carry over into the regular season, but Jackson obviously would like to put together a nice outing tonight and erase whatever questions there may be.

I'm not in New York for this series, spending some quality time with the family for a couple of days in advance of Thursday's home opener. Enjoy the game and the conversation as always…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 60 degrees, Wind 19 mph out to RF

SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. UNTERP - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I predict the game will be played tonight.Signed,93 – 69, all season…

2. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Prediction–The Madoff Mets go to a 4-0 record tonight, especially with Jackson pitching and Werth in RF.

3. UnkyD - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM

We win.

4. MicheleS - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I am really curious how the fences will impact the runs scored at Citi this season. Hopefully, EJax will come out strong tonight. And JFlo will be the hero of the night.

5. blovy8 - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Who has the plate tonight?

6. natsfan1a - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Me, too, on the fences. David Wright as well, I think. ;-)

7. whatsanattau - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Jackson for 6, Gorzelany 2, Lidge for the save.

8. JaneB - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Poor David Wright. I actually mean that.

9. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

In watching the Phils/Marlins game I have detected something about the Phoolies Phans. When they have no offense, they are totally quiet – even at home. They also booed their own team – not all the fans, of course, but you could hear it — in their home opener. Soo – the conclusion I have drawn is this – whether we play at NatsPark or CB – the way to keep them quiet is to beat the ever-loving pants off them. The good thing about the game was that the Marlins actually did not dominate them as the score might seem. It was a rather ho-hum game – the Phils just hit everything right at the fielders. The Marlins scored their runs one at a time in un-spectacular fashion. Stanton did not play – sore tootsie. NLEast with an interesting(?) start. baseballswami

10. whatsanattau - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Those with access to the MLB TV package (free this week on DirecTV), can catch Milone's first start after the Nats game tonight. Hopefully Tom survives deeper into the night than I will though. It starts at 10 ET.

11. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Good to see Jesus behind the dish tonite. I've been disappointed in Ramos's defensive effort and Flores was swinging a solid bat all through ST.

12. NatsBrat - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Right on NatsJack—JFlo more than deserves a chance, based on his spring stats!

13. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I think that Flores may play his way into something of a split with Ramos. The guy can play and Davey has been known to go with the hot hand. We'll see.I am just tickled pink that Desmond is off to such a nice start. Keep it up, Ian!Very excited for Thursday!dfh21

14. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Uh oh…Storen's going to see Andrews. (tweet from Amanda Comak)

15. MicheleS - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM

NJ.. some follow up comments on twitter is that it could be bone chips. Which if that is what it is, then it could be 6-8 weeks vs the entire year. Thankfully we have Lidge and MPHRod

16. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Tweets from Amanda, Adam, Dan, and Bill you mean …Looks like we won't have to worry about Gorzelanny, Mattheus, and Stammen they're staying … AND Davey isn't going to pitch Clippard and Lidge every night people. Better get used to it because its the right approach … and it sure looks as if you can add another arm damaged thanks to the Riggleman/Tracy/Sveum school of thought.

17. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Thankfully we have Lidge and MPHRod AND Mattheus.

18. Nats1924 - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

7-1 NatsMets stink!

19. baseballswami - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Just reading "Dr. Andrews" makes me break out in a cold sweat. I hope the Nats get a volume discount.

20. FS - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I hope Storen is OK. What's the record of Nats pitchers visiting Dr. Andrews and not missing the season?

21. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I wonder how Hassan Pena is looking …

22. MurrayTheRed - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Oh that is bad news. Storen missing can be worked around in the short run, but in the long run this is really going to hurt. Lidge is not as good as he used to be, regardless of how he has been so far.

23. Natsochist - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM

FS, it sounds like the Nats gave Storen the "enhanced" MRI already, so Tommy John not likely. Could be bone chips, like Marquis had, though.

24. Joe Seamhead - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Uh-oh. Light a candle and pray for Drew. Dr. Andrews is never a good thing.In other news the Phillies blog had 57 entries so far after today's game and 54 were negative. This one kind of summed up the general vibe:The Ship is sinking fast. Man the lifeboats immediately!

25. NatsLady - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

26. NatsLady - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Wasn't just Riggs. Davey pitched Storen a lot too last year–remember Drew pitched both ends of a double-header just so he could say he had done it. Have to say, however, Davey was breaking in Hot Rod and Mattheus, so he was trying to find alternatives.

27. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Told you a few days ago that Storen's was the most worrying of the injuries, and Morse next. Not impact on the team, but seriousness of the situation.Hassan Pena is in Syracuse this year. He's another 97 mph potential closer from Latin America. Hopefully, he continues to progress so that the Nats can call on him if needed.

28. FS - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Natsochist, Marquis was out for 3 months or so in that season. As good as our bullpen was supposed to be this season, Storen was going to be a major reason for that.Anyways, it is what it is. Wish him best!

29. SonnyG10 - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I predict a win for the Nats tonight.

30. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Hassan Pena from Cuba via Florida …

31. NatsLady - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

How does he feel about Castro?Anonymous said…Hassan Pena from Cuba via Florida …

32. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Werth going 3 for 4 tonight with 4 rbis. I am feeling it. I Hate Fidel Castro!! and Ozzie the commie

33. Candide - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Davey says it doesn't sound good about Storen's arm.

34. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Storen is going to see Dr. Andrews. Elbow still not right.

35. NatsBrat - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Hope for the best for Tinkerbell!Guess Clip will be doing the dishes.

36. JaneB - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I'm worried about Drew, too. Dr. Andrews is a brilliant surgeon and gets great results, but I don't want Drew to NEED great results. Sigh,

37. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Ozzie is a genius. He's a lightning rod by design not by accident. Saying some quasi-provocative stuff about Castro will sell magazines and get his face all over Google and on TV all over Florida and ESPN and no publicity is bad publicity and what he said plays well at home in Venezuela and very few people under the age of 50 care very much about Fidel Castro. So what, now your abuelita Cubana won't go to the game, was she going anyway?

38. NatsLady - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Big 1st inning for Syracuse includes Bryce Harper's 1st AAA RBI (a scorching single)…3-0 Chiefs after one.

39. MicheleS - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Has anyone gotten their red carpet rewards card?

40. JaneB - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Okay. Davey should not have said, "It doesn't look good," unless he was also going to say, "It cold look a whole lot worse." On TV they are saying probable bone chips. Phew. I hope it's true. Because when I think, "Send him to Dr. Andrews," I think, "Tommy John." I'm feeling better already.I wish Drew were, too.

41. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Yeah I would think Storen moves to closer and Lidge/Rodriguez are the set-up guys.

42. JaneB - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM

MichelleS, we have not gotten it yet.

43. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

*Clippard moves to closer as long as Storen's out is what I meant.

44. MicheleS - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

JaneB.. If they say "Seeing Dr. Yokum" I break out in a cold sweat. He is the one we have the Tommy John discount plan with.Thanks for the info on Red Carpet Card.

45. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

It's gonna most likely be Lidge/H-Rod. Clip does his thing, and it's more valuable when he does it anyway, earlier in games. Not only ones in which the Nats have a lead. We'll see.Hopefully, Storen's just on the shelf for a month or so.dfh21

46. MicheleS - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Did Barry Zito get abducted by Aliens? He is pitching a shut out in Coors Field rith now. Bottom of the 8th

47. NatsNut - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

When I hear "Dr. Andrews" I think of poor Shawn Hill.

48. MicheleS - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Here is Amanda's Recap on Drew

49. NatsLady - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

No, I haven't gotten my card yet. When I went to the box office last week I brought my Tuesday ticket with me and they got the info off that for the discount.Agree Davey will alternate Lidge/Henry to close games, but that means he will have to stick with 7-man bullpen longer than he hoped. He was hoping to go to 6-man BP in May, and that probably won't happen.

50. NatsLady - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Zito–yeah, and he had like a 10-pitch at-bat and got a single.AlsoTyler Moore just made mincemeat of an Adam Warren fastball for his first Triple-A home run. Mercy. 6-0 in the 2nd.and–Corey Brown hits second triple of the season to lead off the second for #Chiefs. Brown is 5-for-15 to start the season for Syracuse

51. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Anybody that thinks Clip is going to close knows absolutely nothing about this baseball team.

52. MicheleS - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM

WOW.. that park is EMPTY. I saw that they were selling tickets to Wednesday's game – Santana Vs Stras – for $2.50

53. Erik - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Clippard is our 8th inning set-up guy…period. You don't take him out of that role. Gotta believe it's going to be HRod. I am also thinking Detwiler could prove to be very useful in the back end of that bullpen now. 95 MPH with a good sinker could be a big help in the later innings.

54. MicheleS - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Oh great… A rookie umpire.

55. JaneB - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I can't believe how empty it is, either. ANd $2.50 for THAT pitching match up? New Yorkers are nuts. No offense to present company. I know Clip wants to be a closer, and I can see why. Totally selfishly, I want him in the 8th and sometimes the 7th. It doesn't matter WHO the closer is if the set up guy can't hold it together.

56. whatsanattau - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM

The Nats rep told me that last year's rewward card would serve again this year. No new one needed for returning STH.

57. MicheleS - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:18 PM

whatsanattau.. new STH, so didn't have one last year…sigh..I am a newbie.

58. RickH - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM

What? Scoring in the first inning? What a concept!GYFNG!!!

59. A DC Wonk - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM

JaneB wrote:It doesn't matter WHO the closer is if the set up guy can't hold it together.Exactly — that's what sabermaticians have said for a while now (but few managers practice it) — that you put your best reliever in the most crucial situations, rather that just waiting to put him in the 9th inning to close it.

60. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Werthless!

61. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Get that pathetic turkey out of the line-up.

62. Erik - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Werth-o-meter-.000

63. SCNatsFan - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:30 PM

When he is like this – which is most of the time since he arrived – Werth just looks disinterested at the plate, like if he doesn't get a walk he knows he isn't getting on.

64. northjerseynats - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM

what good is a leadoff walk?

65. sm13 - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Let's all start clapping now for Tinkerbell's speedy recovery. Lidge and Henry can hold the fort for a while, but I think we need Druuu to be true contenders. And, Tyler needs to stay in the 8th inning where he belongs. As we saw on Sunday, if you can't get out of the 8th, then the 9th doesn't matter.

66. MicheleS - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Wow.. that was Nasty…

67. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Would anybody take werth if we agreed to pay half of his remaining salary? (assuming he waived the no trade clause)

68. sjm308 - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Erik: you and NatsJack are absolutely right. Whether Clip "wants" to close or not, he will pitch the 8th and maybe even the 7th. We have two guys who can handle the 9th and Clip has proved more valuable in his role for the last two years.Someone a couple posts back talked about eye-hand coordination and Werth and he might be on to something. He really does look lost. I still won't boo him but its a rough start.Jackson also looks a little lost in my opinion but he got out of it. I have not followed him before but I guess this is what he does. He obviously is used to throwing lots of pitches.The anon blatche booer could move to NY as they booed Bay as he ended his teams rally.

69. Drew - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Hey Mark,How does Bud expect to build an audience when the games start after 1 a.m.?

70. MicheleS - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Drew. I don't think Bud realized that there was a Paris Fan base! Hope you are enjoying! When do you and your bride come back?

71. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Nice to see Ryan smoke the ball

72. Candide - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I think we can safely stop worrying about LaRoche.

73. Erik - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Too bad Davey is blind, or else he would be out there arguing that call!!! I know he got his eyes fixed, but he definitely can't see like he used to.

74. hmmm... - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM

imagine that.

75. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Speedy LaRoche was so safe!Good for Jason – off the schnide finally

76. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM

JAYSON WERTH!

77. NatsLady - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Werth robbed again, this time by the ump. Should have had an RBI there.

78. MicheleS - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Good to see Jayson get a hit. and we are leading 3-0!

79. whatsanattau - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Go Jayson!!

80. whatsanattau - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Nuke LaRoche

81. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Erik, I was wondering, too, why Davey wasn't arguing that call. I decided HE decided it was too early to get all hot about it. That he didn't see it, I guess, makes sense. But ALR and RZimm both saw it. So did we. I want Davey to take up for his boys more than he did last year. But in the meantime, I am so happy the monkey is off Jayson's back. And I am having fun rooting against the team I grew up worshipping. Keep it up EJax!

82. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:11 AM

That would be Willie Mays Hayes LaRoche

83. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Yeah…that Bernadina sure can't play CF.

84. A DC Wonk - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM

JaneB, you were a Mets fan, too? That was my team growing up, too. From Tom Terrific in 1969, to Buddy Harrelson's fist right with Pete Rose in 1973, to Gooden/Strawberry (and manager Johnson in 1986), etc. Listening to Ralph Kiner, Bob Murphy, and Lindsey Nelson. Good times.But, in 2005, I switched to the Nats.

85. Unknown - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Looks like they are starting to hit Jackson hard…lucky Bernadina made that play or this could be an ugly inning.

86. Candide - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I want Davey to take up for his boys more than he did last year.Could be worse. I'll bet the folks in Cleveland haven't seen Manny Acta argue a call since God was a kid.

87. Erik - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM

JaneB-Here is the article about his vision from last year:http://www.federalbaseball.com/2012/1/12/2703864/washington-nationals-skipper-davey-johnson-couldnt-see-the-play-butNothing gets a team fired up more than a manager in the umpire's face on a clearly blown call.

88. sjm308 - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Please tell me honestly that you think Morse or Dunn or even Johnson could make the plays that LaRoche just makes look easy!!

89. Wally - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I haven't seen EJax all that much, but he seems to be leaving the ball up quite a bit, especially his breaking pitches. Maybe he is reacting to the ump not calling the low strike, but I find myself tensing when he is leaving those off speed pitches belt high. I feel lucky that he has only given up 1 run. Mets seem on his pitches.I checked his career GB%, and it kind of bounces around, so I am not sure if he generally pitches up in the zone.

90. MicheleS - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:20 AM

BTW.. all the beat reporters are on twitter with the possibility that Morse can be back on Thursday..

91. sjm308 - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I was just thinking and I have no statistical data to back this up. How many teams could lose their closer and not be just a little tight? People can trash Rizzo all they want but not about his building a pitching staff. We have a legit #5 in AAA, and bullpen that can handle just about any situation and Purke & Meyers on the way up in the years to come.

92. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Me three, my Dad took me to the Polo Grounds to see the Amazings and I spent my formative years at Shea. Even got to see Game 3 in '69. But, like DCWonk, things changed in '05

93. MicheleS - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM

sjm308..See Boston Red Sox and losing their closer…I woul say a little tight is an understatement.

94. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM

We will get our closer back. Though it makes me wonder if the thought that this was coming was behind the Lidge signing,mor if it really was all about mentoring.As I saw that, "maximum Tyler" spot that just ran, I realized that the one pitcher who, if he was lost for a long time, that could make my lose my breath and my heart hurt, would be Tyler.Thanks for the link, Erik. I guess I won't expect much arguing out of him this year, unless he designates someone to be his eyes for him. Which doesn't sound like Davey.

95. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Sjm308 – and another #5 that will come off the DL in a few weeks. Rizzo clearly knows you can never have enough pitching.

96. Wally - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Doesn't it seem unusual that Morse may come off the DL Thursday when he hasn't played the field yet on rehab?

97. UnkyD - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:33 AM

308: don't forget about Solis…

98. Dryw - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:35 AM

So much for the early lead. Come on, boys, time for the offense to pick it up for the pitching!

99. Erik - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM

SJM308-I was walking past Phil Wood with my dad last year after a 1 run game ended on a Werth GIDP with a guy on 3rd and just said hey to him (because we are big baseball dorks) and we asked him about Werth. He said something to the effect that many in the organization were extremely worried about Werth ever being close to the player he was in Philly. I really hope he turns things around, but doesn't seem that too many are confident that he ever will. Of course, nobody will ever state that publicly.

100. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM

ooof.

101. Wally - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Holy crap. What is going on here?@acomak. Nationals OF prospect Brian Goodwin, who'd been off to a superb pro start, left tonight's Hagerstown game w/injury. #Nats assessing it now.11 minutes ago

102. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Wonk, my first in-person game was a Mets game in August 1968. I can recite from memory two score or more Bad Mets Trades. Mookie remains my favorite Met, Stengal my favorite manager (I had no clue he ever had anything to do with the Yanks), Sidd Finch is the player that part of me STILL wonders, "why haven't we heard more about him? He was supposed to be BIG", and it took me until 2006 to want the Nats to beat them. But I am making up for lost time now.

103. Gonat - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Edwin, this is the National League pal. You can pitch around the #8 guy with the pitcher coming up

104. Joe Seamhead - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Actually, Morse is playing the field tonight.

105. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Werthless!

106. MicheleS - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Joe S.. good to hear, because DJ said they wanted to be sure Morse could play 9 before he was activated.

107. SCNatsFan - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I ask again why does this board pile on Desmond but leaves Espinosa alone despite the fact he can't learn to stop swinging for the fences every AB. It he doesn't learn to put the ball in play all his potential will remain just that, potential, as he continues to hit around 230.And I don't want to hear he's young; he's in the show, he can't learn to hit here.Rant over.

108. SweetBlues - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Werthless…indeed.

109. Wally - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I would keep pounding Wright inside with the FB here.Re Morse : I checked Harrisburg, not thinking they'd move him. Certainly they know better than I, but still seems kind of rushed.

110. SweetBlues - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Welcome Jesus!

111. Steady Eddie - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Wally,Morse did play LF — for eight innings or so, I believe — at the Senators' opener against Bowie on Thursday. But he DH'd on Friday and Sunday. I don't recall if reports about his "slight discomfort throwing" came before or after Thursday's game, which obviously is significant info.

112. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Flores right on target. Can't have too many above avg catchers, either.

113. Section 222 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Re: Red Carpet Reward cards: I asked our ticket rep about them when they didn't come with the tickets. He said that the cards they issued last year were supposed to be permanent (next year, those cards will actually be your tickets), so they aren't sending them out this year unless you ask for them. But it's no problem to send replacements if, like me, you threw them out. However, you don't need the cards to request Red Carpet tickets online.

114. A DC Wonk - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Me three, my Dad took me to the Polo Grounds to see the Amazings and I spent my formative years at Shea. Even got to see Game 3 in '69Wow — Polo Grounds!I saw Game 3 of the NL Series in '69. Awesome game. Hank Aaron hit a homer for the Braves, but Nolan Ryan came in long relief, and the Mets completed the three game sweep to take the pennant. I convinced my mom to come onto the field with me.My favorite player (probably boring pick) was Tom Seaver. Jimmy Qualls still brings back shudders (note to others: he broke up Seaver's perfect game in '69). Seaver, btw, still holds the record with 10 consecutive K's in 1970. And I was there the day that Seaver set the record for consecutive 200+ K's seasons — I think it was Labor Day 1975. (what a pitching staff in 1969!)I got into the Mets when they were awful, and guys like Bunning and Koufax were throwing no-hitters and perfect games against them. (And, yes Stengel as manager was great).The Mets from 1984-1986 were pretty amazin' too. Game 6 of the '86 playoffs (16 inn against Houston) was just as exciting as the more famous Game 6 of the World Series (where there real goat was Calvin Schiraldi, not Buckner).But I digress . . . . ;-)

115. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:04 AM

On another note entirely, Yu Darvish getting pounded tonight by Seattle.

116. Wally - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Steady – I missed that, thanks for the info.

117. SCNatsFan - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Samardzija with a career high in strikeouts yesterday. Pelfrey gets his career high today. Who does Eckstein have pictures of Rizzo with.C'mon Nats, slap some of these guys around. Its not like we are facing Lee and Halliday here.

118. waddu eye no - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM

speaking of stengel:http://www.caseystengel.com/quotes_by.htm#9 is my favoritegyfng

119. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM

The Sharks got to go

120. MicheleS - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Look Miss Iowa!

121. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:12 AM

No surprise thy we strike put so much. Espinosa, Werth and the Shark are guaranteed to give you 2+ each at game, often 3. At least we can get ride of the automatic out in LF when Morse is back.

122. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM

DCWonk, Someday we'll impress people by saying we went to RFK and saw Ryan when he was a September call up. Not to mention the Nats first World Series game!

123. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Didn't I see Werth triple, Bernie make a great catch and Espinosa hit earlier in this game? I also thought that earlier today we were posting that Danny has been having a much better approach at the plate. Tie games make people cranky. Get used to it.

124. SonnyG10 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Way to pick it Adam!

125. TimDz - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Wondering when the "Maximum Henry" commercial will come out

126. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM

This rookie ump's strike zone is about the size of a commemorative stamp.

127. A DC Wonk - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Didn't I see Werth triple, Bernie make a great catch and Espinosa hit earlier in this game?Indeed . . . selective negativity?

128. SCNatsFan - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I agree with above. He is giving nothing near the corners. Which amazes me the Nats are striking out so much.

129. SonnyG10 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Nice pitching Miss Iowa!

130. SonnyG10 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:35 AM

This ump sucks!!!

131. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Waddu, those quotes are hilarious! He is funnier than Yogi!We can still win.

132. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Werthless strikes again!

133. Section 222 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Sorry, Werth needs to start getting hits with runners in scoring position before I stop being negative about him. He's back to early 2011 form, the bases empty triple notwithstanding.

134. TimDz - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Home plate ump needs to get off his knees…He's blowing the game…

135. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Sunk Cost, get rid of him. Better than paying him to lose games for you. He is absolutely useless.

136. SCNatsFan - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Wouldn't you love to see Werth smash his helmet and show some kind of fire. Act just once like he isn't phoning it in. although I'm sure he isn't.C'mon guys.

137. SweetBlues - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Ditto 222

138. Joe Seamhead - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Inconsistent ump. The worst kind.

139. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I don't care what he does after he doesn't produce. And it's not about the money. He is just a bad baseball player.

140. Sunderland - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Watching Werth swing the bat, I haven't seen anyone look so awkward at the plate since Kruk v The Unit in the all-star game. He really looks lost and awkward. I had very high hopes for Werth this year, but watching him these past few days kinda makes that seem unlikely. Not trying to pile on, just posting an observation.

141. A DC Wonk - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Re: Stengel(I had no clue he ever had anything to do with the Yanks)And he was a pretty good player with the Brooklyn Dodgers, too. Top 10 in slugging four times, once led the league in OBA — and, has the distinction of hitting the first ever inside-the-park homer in a world series game.

142. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM

In all seriousness, if Werth won't waive his no trade clause, is there a way for the Nats to get him off their books? Sorry; don't know how contracts work in MLB. From a purely baseball standpoint, it looks like the best move is for Harper to replace Werth in RF when Bryce is ready. It's awful watching Werth at bat; you just don't expect him to do anything.

143. baseballswami - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I don't understand.How can we have so very many hits and so very few runs? I just don't get it. I have also realized that as much as I wanted baseball season to come back, my stress level is higher now – every single day. I need a sports psychologist for fans to help me cope with being a Nats fan.

144. SweetBlues - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Re: Red Carpet Card- I recd an entirely different answer at the ticket services window today. Was told it would be in the mail this week. I guess now I should call as follow up.

145. Wally - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Well, it was a little nerve wracking, but Gorzy got through 2 innings.

146. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Gotta give gorzo credit. Now. We'lsee if he can master consistency

147. Joe Seamhead - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Look, give it a break. Bryce. Harper has already had two errors in the OF this year. He's not ready for prime time.

148. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Morse replaced at the top of 8th in Hagerstown. Ankiel still playing. I thought they wanted Morse to play 9

149. FS - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Wait when did Livan went to braves?

150. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Swami, I had the same thought (about my longing for baseball to be back but my stress higher). I DO work with people to get out of their own heads, including some pros. I need an appointment with myself! Because I can't go for six months like this, or my family will disown me, if I don't disown me first.

151. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Right now Corey Brown is outplaying Bryce Harper. A triple, two walks and two runs … batting .316 one strike out. Of course if you're inclined to use your head for something besides a hatrack and you REALLY follow the Nats and aren't another Kornheiser mobile … you would know that was all according to Davey Johnson's maniacal plan.Competition. Its what's for dinner!

152. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM

fS,Livan became a Brave the e last Friday if March…

153. Treetop - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:01 AM

154. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:01 AM

155. sjm308 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Swami – when you find the right guy/girl please refer them to me. This is nuts! We have 159 games left and I am going nuts!As to Red Carpet. My guy tells me my card is good from last year and I am just waiting for the head of our ticket plan to allocate the points. Next year I plan to leave my group and take charge of my own seats.Go Nats!!

156. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:03 AM

You did good Gorzo!

157. sjm308 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Treetop – as you come down 1/2 street go to the entrances on your right. They say they are for season ticket holders only but when I have used red carpet and have regular tickets they still let me through.FS – great story on Livan but I won't post it here. Just know he has no agent and worked this out on his own.

158. RickH - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Nice job, Gorzo!

159. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Treetop, center field gate, far sides. It says Season ticket holders. Though they let anybody in, as they should. If there's another place to get in, I don't know about it either. It's more special on paper than in life.

160. Section 222 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Just reading the season ticket rewards and I see that we have a VIP entrance. In the 3 years I've been a season ticket holder, I never knew of this. Where is it?CF Gate, left lane, very clearly marked. Often, it's just as crowded as the other lanes, though people are better prepared to go through the security check quickly.

161. NatsLady - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Oh, Henry!Just got home.

162. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM

MPH Rod! This bourbon and Maalox is for you!And Barkeep, bourbon and Maalox all around for my friends. This is looking like a long night.

163. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Henry!!!!

164. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Citi Field sounds like a very raucous place. I feel like I need ear plugs just to watch on tv.

165. sjm308 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Many times I have written the following but how can anyone hit Hrod when he goes 99 to 100 mph and then comes back with an 81 mph god knows what it is?Just a great job of getting better each time he pitches. Wonder if Davey brings him back. As I remember, he did not do well after sitting in the dugout last year.

166. A DC Wonk - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:10 AM

MPHRod! Alternating 97 mph fastballs with 81 mph curves. The best Hairston could do was foul off a potential wild pitch. Then: strike out.

167. Joe Seamhead - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Damn, Henry, that's just not playing fair.Filthy dirty!

168. The Fox - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM

How do you like me now!

169. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM

One more starter but so far so good … barring injury … just hope Clipp's got the lucky 4 leaf clover still … his arm has been more than a bit abused the last 2 years … Looks like not much offense but big pitching … should be enough to get to 90 wins after a number of heart-attacks for die-hard fans …

170. Sunderland - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I fully expect Henry for the 9th. That's why DJ double switched to move the pitcher's spot in the lineup.

171. sjm308 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Can you guys remember all the hate when Rizzo traded Willingham?? 1.Morse gets to step in and show what he can do 2. HRod has developed into a clutch reliever. Willingham is a nice player with injuries every year and a liability in the field.

172. SweetBlues - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:13 AM

What game is this?! 133? Killin me!

173. Section 222 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:16 AM

A number of people have commented on Werth's awkward swing. I noticed and commented on this last year, saying that it seems like he's trying to guide the bat in slow motion or something, never actually taking a rip at the ball. Then I saw a piece, I forget by whom, that said this aspect of his swing is intentional — designed to keep the bat head in the hitting zone for longer. And if you watch closely, you'll see that that swing yields good hits as well as awkward Ks and GDPs. So I don't know what's wrong with him, but it's not the swing.

174. FS - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:17 AM

thanks guys.Just checked BBref and saw that he was signed a day after Houston released him. I don't get why Braves of all teams, with all their pitching prospects, would sign Livo. Anyways I am kinda glad he has a big league job.

175. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:18 AM

So I don't know what's wrong with him, but it's not the swing.Age. Decline can start at age 33.

176. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:18 AM

90 wins and a full time cardiologist at the park. Sounds like new promo plan in the works. Natitude leads to Nats fibrillation, leads to r&r on scoreboard walk

177. FS - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:19 AM

what day is today? get beaten by ex-nats day?

178. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Oy!!

179. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:23 AM

I don't get why Braves of all teams, with all their pitching prospects, would sign Livo.Simple, if Davey and Rizzo hadn't shut Livo down last year he would have won more than 10 games and finished well over 200 innings. They decided to showcase the prospects for the eventual trade … Livo wasn't having as good a year as 2010 but it was far better than John Lannan's. And most here think Lannan is a great #5 for a team in contention (I certainly don't.). If Livo's better? He could be better than #4 if he gets on a toll. He has a rubber arm. You don't have to worry as much about his time between starts … heck you could throw him in the bullpen as long relief. Could the Nats have used him this season? Heck yes. As long relief perhaps #5 … but the Nats current strategy is to get younger … not older. To develop prospects in the minors and finish the development in the majors. And that's why any suggestion that the Nats trade for Marlon Byrd is completely and utterly ridiculous. You already have one 33 year old outfielder in noticeable decline and because of his contract there isn't much you can do about it.

180. The Fox - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:25 AM

He's over throwing. 95 is good enough.

181. Erik - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:26 AM

SJM-The only problem is that Willingham has been a better player than Werth…and $100 million cheaper with no 7 year contract obligation. And we are seeing what happens to HRod in clutch situations.

182. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Henry Henry Henry……..

183. SweetBlues - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Livo's first outing last week. One batter. 11 pitches. An out.

184. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Henry + Pressure = Disaster

185. SweetBlues - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Good night.

186. whatsanattau - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Meet the new closer, Brad Lidge.

187. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:31 AM

@FS -It's not get beaten by ex-nats day.It's get beaten by current-nats day.

188. rogieshan - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Ugly fundamentals all night. Zimmerman & LaRoche only two who showed up for this game.

189. sm13 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:32 AM

What a tough one to lose. Clutch hitting is still the missing ingredient. Paging Michael Morse!

190. JaneB - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I hope Danny is okay.

191. sjm308 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Erik: Werth has nothing to do with the Willingham trade. No doubt Werth has not produced but he wasn't in the discussion on this. You just keep bringing up the same old stuff. People here before you came along were crushing Rizzo for dealing Willingham but until he left there was no way Riggs would have put Morse in LF and that was the key for me.I think I mentioned earlier that Hrod does not come out of the dugout for a 2nd inning well and damn if it isn't true. Also true that their SS got his bunt down and our SS did not. Swami, get that psychologist down here ASAP

192. ExposedinDC - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Thought clip was a better option to start the 9th

193. SonnyG10 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Hard loss to take'

194. NatsLady - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Danny may have struck out a bunch, but he made one tough play there. Hope he didn't get a concussion.

195. SweetBlues - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Acomak mentioned Espinosa getting hurt on a play… I didn't see it-

196. sjm308 - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:34 AM

I think anyone was a better option to start the 9th than HRod.

197. whatsanattau - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I'll handle the instant analysis:2 innings of offense in a 9 inning game.No control in the 9th.Bunting practice on Tuesday.Bad umpiring.

198. Gonat - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Very disappointed in this whole game. Umpires bad calls, Edwin Jackson gives up a HR to the #8 hitter with 2 outs, and HenRod melts down.The most troubling part is Henry looked like the guy I saw last year.

199. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Espinosa got hammered by the runner flying down to first base … then got up and went for the ball and almost got an out at third base. Davey's giving them lots of rope. Wants to see who can replace Storen. No not Lidge coming off of shoulder surgery … next up for an audition: Ryan Mattheus.

200. Anonymous - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Why wasn't Lidge warming up in the 9th? Grandpa should have lift H Rod after the leadoff walk. Grandpa blew the game.