Apr 10, 2012, 4:22 AM EDT
Contrary to popular belief, there have been actual, recorded cases of big-league pitchers traveling to Birmingham, Ala., to have their arms examined by Dr. James Andrews and not ending up on the operating table.
But it doesn't happen very often, and typically a trip to see the noted orthopedist results in some kind of surgical procedure.
So Drew Storen should be fully prepared to go under the knife in the next day or two after Andrews takes a look at his right elbow, which began acting up again following a simulated game at the Nationals' extended spring training complex in Viera, Fla.
"Hopefully it's nothing serious, but it doesn't sound good to me," manager Davey Johnson told reporters at Citi Field prior to Monday night's 4-3 loss to the Mets.
If there is a silver lining to this saga, it doesn't appear Storen is in any danger of needing Tommy John surgery. The enhanced MRI theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action