Apr 11, 2012, 8:48 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg dominated the Mets over six scoreless innings.
Game in a nutshell: In a highly anticipated matchup between a two-time Cy Young Award winner and out-dueled fireballer who hopes to win that award some day, Stephen Strasburg outshone Johan Santana. The Nationals didn't produce much at the plate, but they took advantage of 10 walks, a hit batter and a wild pitch to scratch out four runs and capture their second straight road series to open the year.
Hitting highlight: It's been a tough start to the season for Mark DeRosa, who was hitless in his first 11 at-bats before finally singling in the top of the second today. DeRosa's bigger contribution, though, may have been his 10-pitch at-bat against Manny Acosta in the top of the seventh. With the bases loaded and the Nats clinging to a 1-0 lead, the veteran fouled off four two-strike pitches before drawing a walk that brought home a big insurance run.
Pitching highlight: It wasn't his most efficient performance, but Stephen Strasburg proved he can get over the 100-pitch barrier and still record some key outs with his stamina waning. Manager Davey Johnson easily could have pulled his young ace after he put a man on with oneRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal