Apr 11, 2012, 8:48 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg dominated the Mets over six scoreless innings.
Game in a nutshell: In a highly anticipated matchup between a two-time Cy Young Award winner and out-dueled fireballer who hopes to win that award some day, Stephen Strasburg outshone Johan Santana. The Nationals didn't produce much at the plate, but they took advantage of 10 walks, a hit batter and a wild pitch to scratch out four runs and capture their second straight road series to open the year.
Hitting highlight: It's been a tough start to the season for Mark DeRosa, who was hitless in his first 11 at-bats before finally singling in the top of the second today. DeRosa's bigger contribution, though, may have been his 10-pitch at-bat against Manny Acosta in the top of the seventh. With the bases loaded and the Nats clinging to a 1-0 lead, the veteran fouled off four two-strike pitches before drawing a walk that brought home a big insurance run.
Pitching highlight: It wasn't his most efficient performance, but Stephen Strasburg proved he can get over the 100-pitch barrier and still record some key outs with his stamina waning. Manager Davey Johnson easily could have pulled his young ace after he put a man on with oneRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park