Apr 12, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond is congratulated after scoring in the fifth inning.
Game in a nutshell: In their highly anticipated home opener, the Nationals rode Gio Gonzalez's seven scoreless innings to take a 2-0 lead into the ninth. But fill-in closer Brad Lidge blew the save, allowing a two-run single to Ryan Ludwick in the bottom of the ninth and leaving the sellout crowd in shock. Never fear, because Ryan Zimmerman scored on Alfredo Simon's wild pitch in the bottom of the 10th, propelling the Nationals into sole possession of first place in the NL East.
Hitting highlight: With Michael Morse now shut down for another six weeks, Adam LaRoche will be asked to hit cleanup and come through in big situations. The veteran first baseman did it again today, driving a two-out, two-run single to right-center in the bottom of the fifth to put the Nationals ahead. LaRoche now leads the club with eight RBI in seven games.
Pitching highlight: After a shaky debut with his new club in Chicago last week, Gonzalez was brilliant in his first start at Nationals Park. The left-hander allowed just two hits, didn't walk a batter and struck outRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg departs in 2nd inning with new ailment
- Strasburg leaves after 16 pitches, Reds beat Nationals 5-2
- Rendon resumes rehab, plays 7 innings at AA
- Strasburg back on mound for key start in Cincy
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news
- MLB Power Rankings: Astros, Twins are early season surprises
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win