Apr 12, 2012, 8:22 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond is congratulated after scoring in the fifth inning.
Game in a nutshell: In their highly anticipated home opener, the Nationals rode Gio Gonzalez's seven scoreless innings to take a 2-0 lead into the ninth. But fill-in closer Brad Lidge blew the save, allowing a two-run single to Ryan Ludwick in the bottom of the ninth and leaving the sellout crowd in shock. Never fear, because Ryan Zimmerman scored on Alfredo Simon's wild pitch in the bottom of the 10th, propelling the Nationals into sole possession of first place in the NL East.
Hitting highlight: With Michael Morse now shut down for another six weeks, Adam LaRoche will be asked to hit cleanup and come through in big situations. The veteran first baseman did it again today, driving a two-out, two-run single to right-center in the bottom of the fifth to put the Nationals ahead. LaRoche now leads the club with eight RBI in seven games.
Pitching highlight: After a shaky debut with his new club in Chicago last week, Gonzalez was brilliant in his first start at Nationals Park. The left-hander allowed just two hits, didn't walk a batter and struck outRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito