Apr 12, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Michael Morse will be in "total shutdown mode" for six weeks after aggravating the injury to his right lat muscle while playing in a minor-league rehab game earlier this week, leaving the Nationals without their cleanup hitter for quite some time.
General manager Mike Rizzo said Morse re-injured himself while trying to make throws from left field during a game Monday night with low-Class A Hagerstown. His swing is not affected by the injury at all, but doctors have instructed Morse to refrain from all activities for the next six weeks, hoping the rest will allow the lat to completely heal at last.
There is no surgical remedy for the injury, according to Rizzo, only rest and treatment.
"We tried to ramp him up, get him ready as quickly as we could, because he's a big piece of our lineup," Rizzo said. "And he justRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September