Apr 13, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel will come off the 15-day DL in time for tomorrow's game.
The Nationals plan to activate Rick Ankiel off the 15-day disabled list before tomorrow afternoon's game against the Reds and insert the veteran center fielder right back into their starting lineup.
"You're going to see him tomorrow," manager Davey Johnson said. "He's in great shape. … He looks good to go."
After dealing with a lingering quadriceps strain during spring training, Ankiel opened the season on the DL but immediately began a minor-league rehab assignment on Opening Day. In eight total games with low-Class A Hagerstown, Class AA Harrisburg and Class AAA Syracuse, he went 8-for-20 with three homers and seven RBI.
Signed in February to a minor-league contract, Ankiel wasn't added to the 40-man roster until March 30. Thus the Nationals weren't able to backdate his DL move until that day, making him ineligible to returnRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats trade catcher Leon to Red Sox for cash
- Observations from Sunday's 11-7 win in Viera
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain