Apr 13, 2012, 9:25 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel will come off the 15-day DL in time for tomorrow's game.
The Nationals plan to activate Rick Ankiel off the 15-day disabled list before tomorrow afternoon's game against the Reds and insert the veteran center fielder right back into their starting lineup.
"You're going to see him tomorrow," manager Davey Johnson said. "He's in great shape. … He looks good to go."
After dealing with a lingering quadriceps strain during spring training, Ankiel opened the season on the DL but immediately began a minor-league rehab assignment on Opening Day. In eight total games with low-Class A Hagerstown, Class AA Harrisburg and Class AAA Syracuse, he went 8-for-20 with three homers and seven RBI.
Signed in February to a minor-league contract, Ankiel wasn't added to the 40-man roster until March 30. Thus the Nationals weren't able to backdate his DL move until that day, making him ineligible to returnRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres